• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"And you want Superman to teach you how to be a real hero?"

"Ask the people of Tamaran whether or not I'm a real hero.
I admit that Lois Lane is definitely a woman who can take any amount of sass from others, which makes me cool my jets when she dishes out sass. If this were a boxing match, that rebuke/counter would have her seeing stars though and I'd be cheering in the crowd.

I wonder if Lois has interviewed any of the surviving Sheeda.

Last edited:
15th December 2012
08:53 GMT -5

"So why exactly have you been following Superman around?"

"That's a fairly deep rabbit hole, Ms. Lane. Are you sure you want to know?"
Boy, is that going to be an awkward, confusing explanation. I presume she does know about Kal's little trip to Earth-666, and the alternate Kara. Still, 'I accidentally found an alternate Earth where the JSA are basically world-wide law enforcement, and something there rattled me' should cover it...

She looks unimpressed.

"I think I'll cope."
Well, it's your peace of mind to throw away or not.

"Alright. I'm trying to learn classical superheroism. I grew up during the dark age of comics, which means that I'm more familiar with grim and gritty superpeople, or deconstructions of classic archetypes. I myself have managed to be merely ruthlessly utilitarian, but I've still killed an awful lot of people."

"And you want Superman to teach you how to be a real hero?"
Try... More of a non-lethal hero. Sort of recalibrate his responses on Earth to not go straight for the railguns.

"Ask the people of Tamaran whether or not I'm a real hero. No, I want Superman to teach me… How to be a nice hero."

"Uh-huh. How's it going?"
Yeah, on other planets, he's fairly well-known... Especially after he leaves. But on Earth? 'Cake Man'. :p

I look up to where Kal-El is sitting on the edge of a building in the Thinker pose, eyes glowering directly at the LexCorp building.

"I… Think it's going badly wrong.""Um, can we have a.. private talk about this?"
Meanwhile, in Lex's Office: "Why is he just sitting there? Watching... Just watching..." His left eye twitches as his nerves wear thinner and thinner...

"Let's."

One transition later and we appear in my facility in Bir Tawil.
Yeah, being a quarter of the planet away should make it a bit harder for Kal to overhear. He's not Silver-Age 'hear a gnat fart from a parsec away' levels, after all.

15th December 2012
14:53 GMT +1

And now she's glaring openly.
Heh. Now she can cut loose without tarnishing Clark's image of her, huh?

"What did you say to him?"

"Just… Pointed out the opportunity costs involved with certain forms of… Civic mindedness." Um. "Look this place is pretty secure, but do you want to do this inside..?"
Goddamit, OL. :eek: Did you manage to break Superman by accident?

She strides past me through the heavy metal doors into the interior of the facility. I wince and then follow her, signalling the facility's system to engage intermediate security measures.

"How bad-?"
Heh, telling the defences not to kill on sight, huh? Supes might be a bit miffed if Miss Lane gets singed...

"I have-" She wheels to face me. "-never heard him doubt himself like he did yesterday."

"Sorry."
:eek: OL, what did you say? See, this is why the League is wary around you! Forget the giant orange snake and the tendency towards lethal force. You broke Superman! By talking!

"Then why the hell did you do it?!"

"Because I wanted to know why he does what he does and it sounds like he just never considered going it a different way. I was.. sort of hoping he had a better reason than that."
Lois? Feel free to bounce his head off a wall for a few minutes, it'll make you feel better.

"Jesus."

"If you're familiar with the Book of Job, I think that the correct Christian response to-."
OL? Mouth. Stop. Stop with the words please.

"Stop. Talking."

I raise my right hand towards her, palm facing her. Then I put it over my mouth.
Surprised you didn't do the 'zipper closing' gag with a construct. But then, this is no time for comedy...

"Do you really want to see what happens if S-. If Clark adopts your way of doing things?"

I shake my head.
Neither does anyone else. I suspect you could build a few houses with the bricks that would be shat.

"Someone doesn't need to be Thomas Aquinas to be a good person!" I nod. "So what do you want?"

I stand there for a mom-.
o_O Don't play the fool, OL. You're already halfway there already.

She rolls her eyes. "You can talk."

"Have you and him..? Talked about your different lifespans?"
I'm wondering why that would trigger him the way it has... Please, do elaborate, OL.

She breathes in, and then sharply breathes out.

"Yes. Once. I know that… Forty years from now I'll be an old woman and he'll look pretty much the same. And that in eighty years from now I'll be dead and he'll still look the same."
Ah... Yeah, that might be a little depressing...

"Actually, human women can make a hundred and twenty-."

"A hundred and ten."
Well, never know what good living and a little super-science can do for you...

"Um." Her face hardens. "That too. Um. But… Clark Kent will look the same. People.. will notice. Unless you plan on moving and cutting ties with everyone in ten years or so. Clark Kent… He's always going to be Clark Kent. I mean, his identity. But 'Clark Kent, well-intentioned but bumbling reporter'? That has a lifespan. So in eighty… A hundred years, does he pick a new name and a new town and set up a new secret identity? Or… Something else?"

"Hooooooo boy."
Well. No wonder he's depressed. He's not given the matter that much thought, has he? No wonder he's feeling blue.

"See, this is what I do. What I can't stop doing. Think bloody awkward thoughts and ask bloody awkward questions."

"He hasn't told me."
I'm betting that'll be a 'I'll cross that bridge when I come to it' process. Or at least he planned to do that, until OL started talking...

"Think he's.. thought about it?"

"No."
I mean, at worst, he can start spreading a little grey dye into his hair at super-speed... For a while at least. At least one older Superman did just that.

"Think he should?"

"I.. think it can wait. God, I never… I never put it in that sort of perspective."
It's a very human thing to do, ignoring it until it actually becomes a problem. You can't be blamed for that.

"I can Danner you, if you like. That way you can experience it for yourself."

"Ask me again when I've got grey hair."
:confused: ...Yeah, I think enough folks have pointed out the possible continuity error there. No doubt this chapter'll be getting tweaked later, huh? For now, let's carry on as is!

"I can Danner-." She glares, and I think it's supposed to be a fake glare but she isn't quite in the right headspace. "Seriously, though. If it's all about personal connections for him… Small town spirit or… Something, then extending your lifespan could solve some pretty major problems."

I sigh.
Though I don't think Lois has quite the character to become, say, Superwoman or something like that... :sneaky:

"Captain Marvel once told me that he wouldn't be able to cope with being Captain Marvel all the time. I don't know if I could cope with not being Orange Lantern all the time. No, I know I can't; I tried taking a month off with my girlfriend and we spent nearly all of it working."

"No one's obliged to be Thomas Aquinas. I was just hoping that he'd worked out a sensible cut off point. And… Why that point is where it is. But the more you know about, the more you see you could do… I'm sorry, this was a bad idea. Please, thank Kal-El for putting up with me. I'll go and bother someone else."

"Yeah. You do that."
Probably for the best. Not sure who he could go to next. Probably not a good idea to visit Billy. Who could be his number three choice? :oops:

15th December 2012
09:02 GMT -5

The LexCorp receptionist passes me the phone handset.
Lexcorp? This is going to be... :confused: Something.

"Orange Lantern. What can I do for you?"

"Mister Luthor, I need to warn you about something."
Ah, showing a little professional courtesy, OL?

"And what would that be?"

"I accidentally messed up Superman's head, and… I might have persuaded him to adopt a more pragmatic mindset."
Thankfully, he should settle down in a day or two. Maybe go on a bit of a walkabout...

"I see."

"So if you could just minimise the provocation until I've fixed this..?"
True. I really don't think Clark's in the mood for Lex's shit at all right now.

I hear the phone click as he puts it down.
And then Lex starts banging his forehead on the desk, wondering what god he pissed off to suffer like this...

Right then... Not OL's finest showing in a team-up. Let's hope Clark sorts his head out before long, maybe has a chat with Batman and/or Diana, along with a bit of commiseration about dealing with OL... But on a more serious note, OL may need to think about what he says to people now. I know he wants to make things work better, but sometimes... People don't want to work better. They're comfortable where they are. And most people don't like to have to think about the things they don't want to think about... :oops:

Probably not but it's a hell of a lot better than what she's got now.
I'm not entirely sure they know.

Even if test shows that they could be theoretically immortal or something, none of the individuals who have been exposed to the formula have lived that long so far! What if there's some unknown or subtle soul corruption, or mental degradation, or other side effects?

All he can guarantee is that it would be much better than being a stock human to have that formula applied.

This is not an uncommon problem by the way, there are lots of people who gain immortality but then end up dying within the same time range as a normal unenhanced human in the first place because they start taking stupid risks and end up paying the price.

It's like something on their head says 'Oh, I can't die? Prove it!' and they go suicidely stupid.

Didn't Grayven mention to Artemis that Kal-El dies at some point in the next few decades? Assuming that applies here, the whole ageing thing might be moot?
I mean, given that the Renegade and Paragon are very different guys, with very different ripple effects in the world, it probably won't. There are plenty of people who lived in Paragon but didn't in Renegade. Alan comes to mind. Plus, even if it was pre-destined...Supes has never struck me as the type to give in to "predestination".

Last edited:
Mr Zoat, Paul already suggested that Lois get the Danner Formula in Jungle Gym, and I can't remember where, but I think you already confirmed it in or out of story that she took the offer.
Jumped-up elementals damn it, past me. I can't trust you with anything.

I'll fix it this afternoon.
Thank you, corrected.
Mr Zoat : Is this plot twist at least partially inspired by Overly sarcastic productions recent 2 part detail diatribe about Superman? I would include a link, but they are both more then a hour long.
No, but it probably comes from the same place. If anything, it's based on Lois's internal rant in Metropolitan Man, when she realises that he values watching television with her over saving the lives of two children who burned to death down state.

Oh… and here I was thinking the inconsistencies - Superman's new behavior, Lois not being Dannered, etc… are all a result of Desire pulling a more subtle mind illusion thing on OL again… considering this would be the third time it's happened with Mother Mercy and Doc Smiley. But no, one is just a continuity error and Superman's is real.

That said, I think there's a clear reason why Superman does what he does, and that's because he has a small town mentality again. He has the mentality of a neighborhood superhero and he's just saving what's most important to him personally. Humans tend to be focused basically on just their local support groups, and Superman saves his friends and those he cares about. If he tries to go global, he'd probably have difficulty caring about the complicated situations that would get him involved in.
Industrialization and the ability to mine fuel en mass isn't necessarily a good thing. Paul is a bit of an accelerationist in that he believes there's no problem that can't be solved with technology, but at the same time more technology can be the cause of problems, simply from the discord it can create in a society.
The only way to be certain what you're doing is actually a good deed is either to do all the research perfectly and understand the relevant social difficulties or to work strictly on a local level and only go outside of that for global emergencies. Otherwise you might just end up with all the faults of the British Empire.

Last edited:
And then Lex starts banging his forehead on the desk, wondering what god he pissed off to suffer like this...

Well he's against a group that consists of a woman with a connection to the Greek gods and a guy blessed by Greek, Roman and Abrahamic entities, so those are some places to look into.

Plus working with a demon may have played a part in it.

So from a narrative perspective, why exactly was it decided to skip over the entire background of this most recent chapter? You know. The very conversation which somehow broke Superman and got him to reconsider his entire perspective on reality? The one where OL feels like he needs to actually warn Lex Luthor

It feels like the story jumped ahead in a way that didn't do it any favors because it's choosing to gloss over the parts which set up the most recent chapter and somehow justify Superman allegedly changing his perspective. Skipping over it introduces any number of questions that feel glaring if unanswered.

Idk. I don't think the jump ahead did the story any favors, and in fact creates more problems than it...I don't know, solves? If there were any problems which needed to be solved by excluding those scenes to begin with.
I have a different view on this. I don't think it's much of a jump and it felt pretty easy for me to connect the dots.

One of the things that I love about Mr Zoat's writing is that he doesn't waste words providing unnecessary detail. Have there been jumps where I've desperately wanted more detail? Absolutely. But that's a small price to pay for a fic that moves along so well.

I feel the thing it's important to keep in mind with Superman is, he never wanted to be, well, Superman. He wanted to help people, and he does that, as much as he can. It just happens that "as much as I can" has a very different meaning when you can hear a crime in progress from miles away. But, at the end of the day, he still thinks of himself as that kid from Smallville, just trying to help out where he can. The rest of the time, well, he has a life. And, really, why shouldn't he? Cops and firefighters get days off too. I'm reminded of the phenomenal Astro City, where we see Samaritan, whose basic pitch is "what if Superman, but no Clark Kent". He spends all his time helping people...And he's a neurotic wreck who basically feels no real connection to the people he saves and hasn't had anything like actual friendship in years. It says something when we find out in one issue that his greatest dream in life is...Flying. As in, just flying around for fun, as opposed to "flying towards the next disaster". Superman may have made himself a symbol, but, at the end of the day, he's still a person, and he knows that, if he tried to be Superman all the time, he'd go utterly insane. So, he basically just lives like a normal guy. When there's a problem he notices and can help with, he helps. But, again, his threshold for "problems I can help with" is much broader then most people's.

And, as for working on a broader scale, well, he tries his best but...Hey, quick question: Do you feel personally qualified to go out to the middle east, pick a country, and start trying to systematically and lastingly fix the local instability? Not even speaking in terms of raw power here. Do you know the language? The local politics? If not, do you have a way to learn without relying on a heavily biased source like America's intelligence agencies? Are you prepared to deal with the culture shock of trying to take someone down for a "crime" that isn't actually locally illegal? Are you aware of where the line is between your vigilantism and something that'll be construed as an act of terrorism or war? Frankly, Superman, outside his power, isn't any more qualified then most people, and, when he screws up, well....Maybe it's best he stick to somewhere he knows how to navigate by virtue of living there.

Really, this kinda hits at the fundamental moral question of the character, power and how we apply it. Should Superman be bound by the rule of law? On the one hand, if yes, that means he has to allow all sorts of state-sanctioned violence. Police brutality, torture, genocide, all legal. But, if we say no (and I, a believer no person should be forced to obey unjust laws, would feel inclined to)...Well, it's a bit different when the person in question can rip fighter jets in half. Revolution of the people is one thing, revolution of the PERSON? That has some pretty clear potential to backfire.

Last edited:
No, but it probably comes from the same place. If anything, it's based on Lois's internal rant in Metropolitan Man, when she realises that he values watching television with her over saving the lives of two children who burned to death down state.
In that, the conclusion was partially that Lois was a hypocrite, but here Superman has just talked to someone who, at least to some degree, actually lives that lifestyle. Interesting difference.

Personally that bit never seemed right to me. If you read an obituary in the average day not all that many people die of Superman preventable causes.

Either Superman has instant speed which means that saving them doesn't really interupt his date. Or most accidents are such that he doesn't really stand any chance of getting there in time.

"Captain Marvel once told me that he wouldn't be able to cope with being Captain Marvel all the time.
Neither can Superman. That's why he sticks to Metropolis, has a day job etc.

Well, not in a healthy way, anyway. There has been several Elseworlds full-time supermen, some of them even roughly sane, but none of them anything like as happy.

You know this looks really bad on OL on top of him consulting with "National Socialists, and the fact he has committed almost genocide. Also the fact that he mirdered Dr Fate. It would be very easy to portray him as a corruptive influence to the heroes.

You can't end the global slave trade twice.
Are you saying ending the global slave trade was the fault of the British empire? And are you phrasing it as a good or bad thing. Either way, there's still something to be said about not overextending your power so that you don't have to be everywhere, all the time, all at once, because something is eventually gonna give, which was really it's biggest fault.

Okay, revised version up.
Are you saying ending the global slave trade was the fault of the British empire?
Yes. Sorry about that, but I think it was best for everyone.
And are you phrasing it as a good or bad thing. Either way, there's still something to be said about not overextending your power so that you don't have to be everywhere, all the time, all at once, because something is eventually gonna give, which was really it's biggest fault.
255px-Commonwealth_Flag_2013.svg.png

Mr Zoat is Billy still saying Shazam when he transforms now? What was used to replace the power of Zeus?

Shouldn't that be 20 or so? Pretty sure coworkers will notice that fossil that's been here 80 years is younger and fitter than most of the staff.
They didn't notice that he was fitter than most of the staff when he joined the Planet.
Mr Zoat is Billy still saying Shazam when he transforms now?
Yes.
What was used to replace the power of Zeus?
No one. Zeus is still fine sponsoring William, and Hephaestean is fine with allowing it.

So from a narrative perspective, why exactly was it decided to skip over the entire background of this most recent chapter? You know. The very conversation which somehow broke Superman and got him to reconsider his entire perspective on reality? The one where OL feels like he needs to actually warn Lex Luthor

It feels like the story jumped ahead in a way that didn't do it any favors because it's choosing to gloss over the parts which set up the most recent chapter and somehow justify Superman allegedly changing his perspective. Skipping over it introduces any number of questions that feel glaring if unanswered.

Idk. I don't think the jump ahead did the story any favors, and in fact creates more problems than it...I don't know, solves? If there were any problems which needed to be solved by excluding those scenes to begin with.
The problem with that is there's no way Zoat can do that scene justice because it's convincing Superman he's wrong about his core beliefs.

Last edited:
You know, I think it's a pity that Zoat is apparently keeping with the "Danner formula isn't inheritable" from the book.

I think the DC version is just more interesting.

Iron Monroe in the present day was noted "looks young, until you look into his eyes. His eyes are old," back in Damage.

His son Walter looks like evil Clint Eastwood, and has some superhuman strength and durability.

Walter's daughter Kate may or may not have any effect from the Danner formula- She's got the whole John McClane/Rocky Balboa action hero "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" thing going on when a person really ought to be going straight to the hospital, but it's a comic book so that may or may not mean anything.

And Kate's son Ramsey has superpowers, but not the same, his invulnerability at least in part requires mental effort- A sucker punch will hurt him more than an attack he actually sees coming. He also tends to glow.

Did he just inherit the metagene from someone not related to Danner? Did his inheritance from the Danner formula activate his metagene and mold his powers into something similar to the family inheritance? Or did the effects pf the Danner formula his great great grandfather received mutate over the generations?

Last edited:
Didn't we see that conversation? Just the idea that the universe is big and that superman could likely save millions of lifes with an hour's work in many parts of the universe, but if he gets to doing that then he is doing it 24/7.

Basically OL asked Superman how he manages his work life balance because OL can't manage it.
I mean you don't need Zoat to make a play by play recount of the conversation when the last sentence of the chapter tells us the angle of attack Paul probably used.

Clark probably tried to counter the argument with his brand of earnest and Paul may have thrown a tangent about Roanoke Island and the Sheeda invasión and how Clark could have saved more lives if he had altered his priorities a little, then Clark probably went silent because he realized Paul was right and he would have saved a lot more people... Heck Superman being based on a single city in the US probably fucked his world view even more because he likely has failed to respond to emergencies in other countries (earthquakes, floods, etc) while he was busy saving cats from trees in metropolis.

If that was the conversation, then Superman's reaction still makes no sense.

Actually apply that logic. Emergency responders, doctors, and other professionals in such fields could save more people if they worked more often, left their homes, volunteered in poor countries, and so on and so forth. However that line of argument doesn't work because that would essentially require that they be nothing more than inhuman machines with no personal relationships, no personal interests, and no life outside of saving people.

Which is not only not how people are built to function, but can actually be counterproductive given the risk of burnout and additional psychological deficiencies and disorders capable of arising from the stress, monofocus, and other related factors of such a life.

Notice how few, if any people give other emergency responders and professionals in the human aid adjacent agencies shit over them not sacrificing everything for the sake of their "mission"? Especially since most people don't do it either. I mean, it's not like authors or bankers or other professionals are incapable of becoming trained to help people in some capacity either, but nobody is giving them shit for choosing to do something else with their time and their lives either.

Which is why given any thought, this line of argument should be easily something Superman should be able to response to OL about. Especially since Superman is no god, and has neither omnipotence or the omniscience to be able to see all ends and be capable of all things. Orange Lantern is psychologically unhealthy as fuck, and is operating heavily outside normal baseline, but Superman isn't, and should easily be able to point that out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back