• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I still think the Monsanto seed business model is shady as fuck, but I can see the arguments for non-replicating GMO crops. I'm just pretty sure being able to force a customer to keep returning to buy from them was a non-trivial factor in their decision making process.

Last edited:
Now I'm wondering if gently setting a bunch of ice comets on Antarctica and the north pole would help our magic-free world. Or stacking them. That's to bandaid how quickly they are melting, nothing to do with fresh water.
Short answer: the heat generated by the comet falling into the atmosphere would melt the ice in the comet and then add even more heat to the Earth biosphere, so it's not a good idea.

Longer answer:

I still think the Monsanto seed business model is shady as fuck, but I can see the arguments for non-replicating GMO crops. I'm just pretty sure being able to force a customer to keep returning to buy from them was a non-trivial factor in their decision making process.

It is shady AF and so is Monsanto in general.

April 27th, 2013
09:12 EST

"…greenhouses, where the latest of LexCorp's genetically engineered crop strains are cultivated before being transferred to the fields."

I nod slowly as I follow Miss Teschmacher through the greenhouse. That's not how Mister Kent does it, but I guess if something goes wrong with a novel plant then they want to have a record of everything that happened to it so they can work out what they did wrong.
Looks like Mitchell made it to day one orientation, by the looks of it. And naturally, they're showing him farms. As for their practices, that's damn sensible. No telling what mutations could make it past the engineering phase unnoticed...

"Any questions so far?"

"Uh. Yeah-. Yes." She's watching me-. "Uh, are those fields open air?"
Hopefully with a solid buffer zone, then. Nature doesn't like to be confined, after all...

"Of course. We need to test these plants in conditions which match those they'll actually be farmed in… As near as possible. For cultivars designed for more extreme climates we do smaller batches in artificial environments and then arrange to perform larger tests closer to where they're intended to be grown."
Still, one errant runaway mutant strain, and anything could happen. I assume they've also developed super-herbicides for that situation.

"Don't you have a problem with… Cross-pollination? I mean, if bees take pollen from a modified plant and pollinate the unmodified type…"

I probably shouldn't be asking that. But she just smiles.
Eh, not an unreasonable concern. Given how some people react to the idea of genetically-modified plants...

"Mitchell, I know perfectly well that your mother in Wonder Woman and that… The Justice League doesn't have a great relationship with LexCorp." She looks at me for a moment, so I nod. "But you should know two things about us. Firstly, we're here to make money. We make most of our money in the high technology sector; we depend on a functioning global economy, with billions of market participants. The current broken state of human society hurts us a lot more than it hurts the Justice League. I must have worn this dress at least twice before today."
I do hope she's joking. Still, dealing with disasters is a going concern for major corporations on Earth Sixteen...

Her smile broadens for a moment, so I think that was supposed to be a joke. But I don't get it. I've worn this shirt dozens of times at least, and Conner's got a wardrobe that's basically just identical copies of the same stuff. If it wasn't for M'gann, that would be his whole wardrobe.
Hey, Guys like to wear the same outfits for days at a time. I assume Miss Teschmacher is expected to have a fairly high-class wardrobe.

"Secondly, there is no profit in the end of the world. So now is a really bad time for taking dangerous risks. Every one of these strains makes use of genetic use restriction technology. They'll still produce pollen, and they need to be fertilised by an insect-. We actually have our own bee hives, just over…"
And I would not be surprised if they had some manner of insect controller on staff to manage them.

She raises her right forefinger as she tries to remember.

"Over that way." She points in the direction of the buzzing noise I can hear and the sweet scent I can smell. "But they can't pass on the modified characteristics for more than one generation. One of the things we're working on here is an improved version of that technology that would prevent any kind of cross-pollination."
Effectively ensuring that farmers can't produce more of your crops without your direct assistance, of course.

"Is there a market for that?"

"Just about every agribusiness in the world is interested in improved terminator technology."
An actual concern in the real world too. As much for ecological safety as corporate control.

"Yeah, but… With farmers. Don't they.. usually keep some of their own seeds to plant the next year?"

"That depends on which part of the world you're talking about. That's certainly common in less economically developed countries, but in more economically developed countries farmers usually buy seeds annually for annual plants. And this way, whenever we come up with a new variety it just slots into the purchase schedule."
Heh. Imagine the targetted advertising for farmers involving that kind of thing... "New this year from Lexcorp Agricultural: Super-corn! Triple the yield from the same planting and minimal supplemental nutrient needs! Get yours today!"

"But… Haven't we had massive disruptions in shipping for the last few years?"

Miss Teschmacher nods. "Yes, and that's been a major problem, as I said. Without the ability to ship seeds to farmers, the entire LexFarms subdivision of LexCorp has been going into the red."
Though I expect the financial side understands that's a temporary thing. No mass layoffs in the name of profit margins, or anything...

"No, I mean, for farmers. If they can't get seeds, then they can't farm."

"No, no. While I stand behind the supremacy of LexCorp products, there are alternate suppliers on every continent. While it reduces end user choice, the system still works."
But you're obliged to note that Lexcrop's stuff is superior to the regular product, aren't you? 😏

"Uh…"

"Well, put it this way. How many normal farmers have access to a cutting edge genetics research laboratory?"

"None?"
That you know of. Who knows if there's some super-genius making his own super-crops via mad science?

"None. So there's no way for them to take advantage of the techniques we use to improve their yields, drought resistance, disease and pesticide resistance, or heat and colds resistance. They could try using traditional techniques to breed new varieties, but that takes a long time. The first known orange carrots existed in the sixth century, but it wasn't until the eighteenth century that the Dutch produced a variety that was always orange. Here, we can engineer carrots that are just about any color, and are far hardier and more nutritious than normal varieties as well."
Yes, people who complain about GMOs do tend to forget that farmers do selective breeding for stuff. I bet half their issue is they're picturing intellectual people in labcoats doing the work and not Farmer Joe in his dirty overalls...

"What's..? Wrong with purple carrots?"

"Ah, they taste slightly bitter to the modern pallet. There's nothing.. wrong with them exactly -not like some of the older varieties of potatoes- it's just that they could be better."
And there are a lot of varieties, just at a quick glance. Some of which would make modern folks go 'wait, that's a potato?"

I nod. "So is this where you work?"

"No, but it's where you'll be spending about half your time. I hope you don't mind farm work."
Not like he isn't in good shape for it.

"No, grandma's put me to work on the farms on Themyscira. This is a… It's a bit more sophisticated. But I'm sure I can cope with it."

"That's the spirit! The other half of the time you'll be with me in my office in Market Analysis. It probably won't be very interesting, lot's of fetching and carrying, but I'll try and make sure that you know why everything's happening."

Huh? "Is there a lot of… Market to analyse right now? I thought everything was-. I mean, transport, and-."
Bet he and Kon are handy when a horse can't pull a plow. And at least he won't be out in the paddocks all the time.

She nods. "It's true, we're not doing much typical market analysis right now, but if anything what we're doing is even more essential than usual. Rather than looking at what could give us an edge over our competition, we're looking at what it is that people really need. For example, quite a lot of the U.S. has problems with water shortages, which is made worse by the fact that we can't really import as much food as we used to and even if we could, South America is exporting much less than it was a few years ago. What do you think that means for LexFoods, and LexCorp in general?"
Ooh. Yeah, the South America thing is a bit awkward. A good reminder that stuff OL does has consequences for everyone.

"Ah. Farm land is a lot more valuable. And so are farmers, because people don't learn how to farm in schools."

She nods. "It's a shrinking profession."
Even if they can handle more land with modern technology, they still need people to control that machinery...

"And KordTech's weather control system… Ah, it's not really working so well right now."

"It's working, but it's not expanding. On their original outline, supplying water to drought-stricken areas in the U.S. was something they'd have started this year. But with Atlantis not able to supply them they're down to a faction of the staff they need to sustain normal operations."
Another bit of awkward consequences. Someone's really going to have to work on the Atlantis thing.

"So agricultural land's a lot more valuable than it was."

"People always need land, but the U.S. needs skilled farmers and water for irrigation. And not just drilling aquifers; if they aren't replenished, that just buys the area a few years. So that means piping it in, desalination plants or magic. We even looked at the viability of bringing in a ice comet!"
...With what, captured alien space ships? 🤔 It's not like there are that many capes on Earth with interplanetary capabilities.

"Uh…"

"Oh, don't worry. That one was more of a theoretical exercise. Because unless you can bring in a new comet every few years you end up back where you started."
...No comment on the increased water quantity messing with weather? Edit: Bit of a silly question, really. Honestly, in this universe, the worry would be any exotic things which might turn up in such comets...

That's a relief. And not just because I'd be worried if LexCorp drops a comet somewhere, but because the Justice League could easily do that, and if it could have actually helped

"So, ah, what exactly would I be doing around here?"

"Well, a lot of the monitoring is done by computer, but we still need a human to run their eyes over everything. Why don't I show you the soil analysis robots?"
Yes, best not to let things go unmonitored. While I doubt their systems are complex enough to manifest an emergent synthetic intelligence, best not to take the chance...

I suppose if nothing else, it's rather hard to commit super-crimes with crops. ;) Unless you're Swamp Thing or the Floronic Man or guys like that... So it's only the shady but generally-legal business of farm supply and growing. I suspect Mitchell's time in the office will be the more interesting to see in general, though.

Last edited:
It was the entire decision making process; while the concerns regarding possible spread of mutant plants are definitely valid, 100% of the reason why such companies use genetic terminator technology is to force people to keep buying their product.

Companies do not want to sell you their product once and then you have it and can use it forever, they want to sell you their product as many times as possible. It's why shit like planned obsolescence is a thing: Products are intentionally and deliberately designed with a relatively short lifespan so as to ensure that customers regularly need to purchase a new product, thus providing a reliable and secure stream of revenue to the company for no additional work.

Last edited:
Most or all of the urls in the spoiler boxes have a doubled up bit [http://'https//], which makes them not work.

Huh. Thank you for letting me know. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to fix that. The doubling isn't there when I paste it into the BB Code mode editor. It seems to get added when I click Save. I'm going to fiddle with this and try to figure something out.

And now it won't recognize the second spoiler tag set either.

I could use the non-BB Code link adding button, but it involves an annoyingly greater amount of RSI worsening movement than the other one. That is what I used for the links outside the spoiler tags so I might go that route eventually.

Edited to add: Got it. My text editor was automatically replacing the quotation marks with smart quotes, which aren't the ones used for BB Code. Switched to a mono-spaced font and did a few find-and-replaces and it fixed it. I should remember these things, but I missed it. Sigh. Thanks again for pointing it out.

Last edited:
speaking of Atlantis, what do we know about their current state? they disappeared when the Anti-life hit... and then what? radio silence ever since? nobody has tried to locate them? even Dr. Mist can't find them?

i mean yes, they're essential for the rebuilding and it would be great to have them around. but at this point i have to assume that something fucky is happening there to keep them from peeking their heads up. they had to have felt the White Light purge, and even if they didn't know exactly what it was, someone would have poked their head up for a glance to see what's going on.

speaking of Atlantis, what do we know about their current state? they disappeared when the Anti-life hit... and then what? radio silence ever since? nobody has tried to locate them? even Dr. Mist can't find them?

i mean yes, they're essential for the rebuilding and it would be great to have them around. but at this point i have to assume that something fucky is happening there to keep them from peeking their heads up. they had to have felt the White Light purge, and even if they didn't know exactly what it was, someone would have poked their head up for a glance to see what's going on.
My best guess is this is Ahri'ahn's plot in the Paragon timeline.

Now I'm wondering if gently setting a bunch of ice comets on Antarctica and the north pole would help our magic-free world. Or stacking them. That's to bandaid how quickly they are melting, nothing to do with fresh water.
Increases world temperatures and increases sea level. Definitely not helpful at this time.

Working Relationship (part 6) New
April 27th, 2013
09:23 EST

Mr. Flaherty smiles. "Well, that's easy Mitchell! If we had a dedicated rail track for them, it would stop the whole process if anything went wrong with it. The computer could route around it, but it would cause a whole section of the greenhouses and fields to become unavailable! But with these-"

He pats the chassis of the robot he was working on. It looks a bit like the industrial floor cleaning machines I've seen in the Happy Harbour grocery store near closing time. It has larger wheels and the rotary mops are replaced by the mechanical sampler arms, but I suppose it's doing a similar job.

"-as standard, we can just send in another robot to pick up the load while we fix the one that's gone wrong. They can even transfer soil samples between them without risking external contamination." His face goes a little downcast. "If that ever happened, I'd need a real good excuse why I didn't just fix the thing."

Miss Teschmacher raises her eyebrows. "Has that function ever been used?"

"Ah, only in field trials. We wanted to make sure that it actually worked in the fields, when it was raining and the ground was churned up. Took a while for the computer to get the hang of navigating like that, but it worked fine."

I nod. "Do they drive themselves, or does the main computer handle it?"

"Mostly, they drive themselves, but the main computer handles task assignment and monitors them to make sure they're not doing anything stupid. In theory they can handle regular tasks without the main computer, but, y'know, belts and suspenders."

I smile. "But they can't fix themselves, right?"

"No, no, they can. I'm just cheaper than the engineer robot." He chuckles. "But seriously, humans are a lot more adaptable than any robot-." He glances aside for a moment. "Any robot that isn't legally a person, anyway."

"Oh yeah, I heard about LexCorp having an AI. Have you met it?"

"Ah…" He looks a little awkward. "Technically? I know it-. He…" He does a small shrug. "He tends to use Mister Luthor's face when he has to talk to someone, but I don't know if he actually thinks of himself as male-. Anyway, I check that our data is getting submitted properly, and I know it all goes to him, but I don't think he's ever said anything to me directly."

I frown. "You don't think?"

"Well, he's an AI, so it's pretty easy for him to put on a voice or change his e-mail address. But I don't know if he's got that sort of sense of humour. Or any sense of humour at all."

Miss Teschmacher rolls her eyes. "He does. Don't ask me how I know."

He raises his hands. "You're the boss. So, anything else you wanna know?"

I point to the robot that he's working on. "What's wrong with this one?"

"Oh, nothing much, really. The air filters need replacing; that's the most common problem they have. Dust, pollen…" He shrugs. "Procedure is to also do a manual inspection on the rest of it at the same time, but that almost never turns up anything. Here, I'll show you."

He presses a few buttons on his laptop, and the side of the robot opens up. I crouch down to get a better look. Inside… It's pretty rugged. The samples…

"It doesn't do the tests itself?"

"No. Mass spectrometers that size aren't rugged enough to use on a farm."

Huh. I guess it makes sense. There's a carousel where the sample containers get brought to the sampling mechanism, and then they get loaded into a rack-.

"And I guess the robot can insert this bit right into the testing machine?"

"That's right. Then an empty one gets loaded back in, and then it's back to work."

"And…" I look down. "This bit is for the fertiliser?"

"Ah, mostly. We can actually set it to spray just about any solution we need. We do test a variety of different soil conditions here. Remember, this isn't a commercial farm. We're not trying to make a profit selling our produce. We sometimes deliberately damage or poison our plants to check exactly what their performance thresholds are."

"But… If you're just trying to maximise yields, you-. You'd be testing them with whatever fertilizer the farmer would be using, right?"

"Yeah, a lot of the time. But there's actually a big problem in some places with fertilizer run-off getting into rivers and lakes. See, it basically supercharges the algae, which sounds okay, until they die and start rotting. That supercharges the bacteria, which breed like crazy and use up all the oxygen in the lake. And that kills everything that needs oxygen, which is just about everything. A few of the strains we're growing now are designed specifically to flourish without fertilizer."

I frown. I guess a variety that produced less… Fruit or seeds would need less fertilizer and wouldn't risk killing itself by producing more than the soil could support. That's basically what winnowing is. But that's not exactly flourishing.

I turn to look up at him. "How does that work?"

"Ah, heh." He chuckles awkwardly. "Get a full time job at LexCorp, stick at it for five to eight years, and then sign a bunch of non-disclosure agreements, and you can find out!"

Huh. That's… Fair, I guess. I'm basically just here to fetch and carry things. They're not going to let an intern in on company secrets. I could just get a closer look at the plants when I do… Whatever manual stuff that needs to be done with them, but… That's not why I'm here.

So I just stand up and shrug. "Well, maybe. What other robots do you work on?"

"Just the planting and harvesting robots. They're like bigger, more adaptable combine harvesters. They can actually.. work as combine harvesters, but like I said, we don't usually grow for volume here."

I frown. I don't know much about the Kent farm, but I'm pretty sure they hire seasonal laborers rather than using farming robots.

"Isn't something like that really expensive? I mean, compared to just hiring people."

He shrugs. "They don't let me work on people."

Miss Teschmacher does a… P.R. smile. "While LexCorp does own farms which make extensive use of human resources, in this facility it's important to accurately record everything in a way that would be impractical for a human agricultural laborer."

I nod. "And.. I.. guess that if someone needs to work for LexCorp for years to even find out what you're working on, farm hands would be a security risk, huh?"

Neither of them say anything, though Mr. Flaherty awkwardly looks at Miss Teschmacher for a moment.

I shake my head, not wanting to get him in trouble. "It makes sense. We mostly have other Amazons working at the embassy, or other people Mom's known for a long time. Sometimes, we get… People who probably shouldn't work there applying for positions."

Miss Teschmacher nods. Mom says that she always phrases it like that because people assume it's some sort of sex thing. Actually, the real problem comes from spy agencies and people working for criminals. If Mom was body-shy she wouldn't have spent decades fighting crime in a metal swimsuit.

I don't really… I don't have a costume, but if I actually started being a full time superhero I'd probably copy Conner's old style rather than wear something skin-tight. I mean, a solar suit would do more for me than him, but…

It has some really bad memories for me.

"Okay, so where are we going next?"

Miss Teschmacher checks her planner for a moment. "How.. about.. we check out the fields, and you can see the planting robots in action, then I can show you what you'll be doing for the rest of the day?"

I smile at her. "Sounds good. Ah, how smart are they?"

"About as smart as the sampler robots. We're not running an AI slave plantation."

"No, I didn't mean-."

"AIs that intelligent are far too expensive." And she smiles like it's a joke, but she did just kind of imply that they would if they were cheaper. They did with the genomorphs, even if they tried blaming Jim Harper. "This way."

Last edited:
April 27th, 2013
09:23 EST

Mr. Flaherty smiles. "Well, that's easy Mitchell! If we had a dedicated rail track for them, it would stop the whole process if anything went wrong with it. The computer could route around it, but it would cause a whole section of the greenhouses and fields to become unavailable! But with these-"

He pats the chassis of the robot he was working on. It looks a bit like the industrial floor cleaning machines I've seen in the Happy Harbour grocery store near closing time. It has larger wheels and the rotary mops are replaced by the mechanical sampler arms, but I suppose it's doing a similar job.
I'm assuming they're some manner of light off-road tyre, with six to eight of them and a low centre of gravity. So, basically like mini space-rovers. :p It'd certainly fit in an animated show, if nothing else.

"-as standard, we can just send in another robot to pick up the load while we fix the one that's gone wrong. They can even transfer soil samples between them without risking external contamination." His face goes a little downcast. "If that ever happened, I'd need a real good excuse why I didn't just fix the thing."
Like, 'job in jeopardy' good or just 'docked bonus' good?

Miss Teschmacher raises her eyebrows. "Has that function ever been used?"

"Ah, only in field trials. We wanted to make sure that it actually worked in the fields, when it was raining and the ground was churned up. Took a while for the computer to get the hang of navigating like that, but it worked fine."
Makes sense. Never know what conditions they might be forced to operate under.

I nod. "Do they drive themselves, or does the main computer handle it?"

"Mostly, they drive themselves, but the main computer handles task assignment and monitors them to make sure they're not doing anything stupid. In theory they can handle regular tasks without the main computer, but, y'know, belts and braces."
Never underestimate a computer's ability to misunderstand a basic command. All it takes is one wrong bit...

I smile. "But they can't fix themselves, right?"

"No, no, they can. I'm just cheaper than the engineer robot." He chuckles. "But seriously, humans are a lot more adaptable than any robot-." He glances aside for a moment. "Any robot that isn't legally a person, anyway."
Because that's a thing now in their universe. Good on OL for making that happen.

"Oh yeah, I heard about LexCorp having an AI. Have you met it?"

"Ah…" He looks a little awkward. "Technically? I know it-. He…" He does a small shrug. "He tends to use Mister Luthor's face when he has to talk to someone, but I don't know if he actually thinks of himself as male-. Anyway, I check that our data is getting submitted properly, and I know it all goes to him, but I don't think he's ever said anything to me directly."
It's one of those things that, if everything is working properly, never needs to happen, certainly.

I frown. "You don't think?"

"Well, he's an AI, so it's pretty easy for him to put on a voice or change his e-mail address. But I don't know if he's got that sort of sense of humour. Or any sense of humour at all."
Wouldn't even have to change it. Way too many ways to spoof that shit... As a purely informational entity, he'd have it even easier.

Miss Teschmacher rolls her eyes. "He does. Don't ask me how I know."

He raises his hands. "You're the boss. So, anything else you wanna know?"
Heh. She's definitely been on the receiving end of that, hasn't she? still, better a prankster than an omnicidal lunatic or a megalomaniacal conqueror.

I point to the robot that he's working on. "What's wrong with this one?"

"Oh, nothing much, really. The air filters need replacing; that's the most common problem they have. Dust, pollen…" He shrugs. "Procedure is to also do a manual inspection on the rest of it at the same time, but that almost never turns up anything. Here, I'll show you."
Always a safe plan. Better to look and not find, than not look and fuck up.

He presses a few buttons on his laptop, and the side of the robot opens up. I crouch down to get a better look. Inside… It's pretty rugged. The samples…

"It doesn't do the tests itself?"
Hope they have manual release controls too. What happens if it's comms system goes of the blink?

"No. Mass spectrometers that size aren't rugged enough to use on a farm."

Huh. I guess it makes sense. There's a carousel where the sample containers get brought to the sampling mechanism, and then they get loaded into a rack-.
Presumably for offloading back at its base station. And from there, to a lab?

"And I guess the robot can insert this bit right into the testing machine?"

"That's right. Then an empty one gets loaded back in, and then it's back to work."
No time wasted, efficiency is god here, eh?

"And…" I look down. "This bit is for the fertiliser?"

"Ah, mostly. We can actually set it to spray just about any solution we need. We do test a variety of different soil conditions here. Remember, this isn't a commercial farm. We're not trying to make a profit selling our produce. We sometimes deliberately damage or poison our plants to check exactly what their performance thresholds are."
Logical enough, given this is their testing site, not a production facility.

"But… If you're just trying to maximise yields, you-. You'd be testing them with whatever fertilizer the farmer would be using, right?"

"Yeah, a lot of the time. But there's actually a big problem in some places with fertilizer run-off getting into rivers and lakes. See, it basically supercharges the algae, which sounds okay, until they die and start rotting. That supercharges the bacteria, which breed like crazy and use up all the oxygen in the lake. And that kills everything that needs oxygen, which is just about everything. A few of the strains we're growing now are designed specifically to flourish without fertilizer."
A very real problem, alas. Honestly, around this Earth, I'd half expect that to cause some sort of super-monster to appear eventually.

I frown. I guess a variety that produced less… Fruit or seeds would need less fertilizer and wouldn't risk killing itself by producing more than the soil could support. That's basically what winnowing is. But that's not exactly flourishing.

I turn to look up at him. "How does that work?"
Magic, I suspect. Probably very well-analysed magic.

"Ah, heh." He chuckles awkwardly. "Get a full time job at LexCorp, stick at it for five to eight years, and then sign a bunch of non-disclosure agreements, and you can find out!"

Huh. That's… Fair, I guess. I'm basically just here to fetch and carry things. They're not going to let an intern in on company secrets. I could just get a closer look at the plants when I do… Whatever manual stuff that needs to be done with them, but… That's not why I'm here.
True, Mitchell. this isn't an official Team mission.

So I just stand up and shrug. "Well, maybe. What other robots do you work on?"

"Just the planting and harvesting robots. They're like bigger, more adaptable combine harvesters. They can actually.. work as combine harvesters, but like I said, we don't usually grow for volume here."
Nothing that could cause much havoc if some machine-manipulator showed and and played hijacker, then.

I frown. I don't know much about the Kent farm, but I'm pretty sure they hire seasonal laborers rather than using farming robots.

"Isn't something like that really expensive? I mean, compared to just hiring people."
Honestly, these days, I could see the Kents having become more of a little specialist farm or something.

He shrugs. "They don't let me work on people."

Miss Teschmacher does a… P.R. smile. "While LexCorp does own farms which make extensive use of human resources, in this facility it's important to accurately record everything in a way that would be impractical for a human agricultural laborer."
Especially ones that might have legal issues or language problems that get in the way. Also, simple human laziness making them go 'eh, I don't need to write that down, it's nothing'.

I nod. "And.. I.. guess that if someone needs to work for LexCorp for years to even find out what you're working on, farm hands would be a security risk, huh?"

Neither of them say anything, though Mr. Flaherty awkwardly looks at Miss Teschmacher for a moment.
Dead on the mark, I suspect.

I shake my head, not wanting to get him in trouble. "It makes sense. We mostly have other Amazons working at the embassy, or other people Mom's known for a long time. Sometimes, we get… People who probably shouldn't work there applying for positions."

Miss Teschmacher nods. Mom says that she always phrases it like that because people assume it's some sort of sex thing. Actually, the real problem comes from spy agencies and people working for criminals. If Mom was body-shy she wouldn't have spent decades fighting crime in a metal swimsuit.
On the upside, the Amazon staff would make it pretty clear if someone's attentions are unwanted. And they probably take a sisterly interest in their less powerful co-worker's affairs.

I don't really… I don't have a costume, but if I actually started being a full time superhero I'd probably copy Conner's old style rather than wear something skin-tight. I mean, a solar suit would do more for me than him, but…

It has some really bad memories for me.
I still say blue pants and red sleeveless shirt with Wonder-woman emblem works. Metal bracers optional, and he might have to field some jokes about dressing like his Mom...

"Okay, so where are we going next?"

Miss Teschmacher checks her planner for a moment. "How.. about.. we check out the fields, and you can see the planting robots in action, then I can show you what you'll be doing for the rest of the day?"
Ah, orientation. Always that awkward moment when you finish one bit and have to chill...

I smile at her. "Sounds good. Ah, how smart are they?"

"About as smart as the sampler robots. We're not running an AI slave plantation."
...Again, that's a reasonable concern in this universe. Though could you imagine AI bots going on strike and unionising?

"No, I didn't mean-."

"AIs that intelligent are far too expensive." And she smiles like it's a joke, but she did just kind of imply that they would if they were cheaper. They did with the genomorphs, even if they tried blaming Jim Harper. "This way."
Eh, they can't help being a little villainous sometimes.

Ah, the joy of a first day at work. At least after you go through all the video-watching and seminars on job safety. Though some of those sort of videos are gems. Like safety-training vids that do the over-the-top dramatic thing... Ironically, Mitchell can shrug off most of the situations those involve...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back