• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

If that's what you sold them, they've got a few priestesses of Demeter, so…"

She raises her eyebrows. "They could make them fertile?"

okay, that's fucking interesting man

The SUV's engine dies and the robot accelerates hard.

oof. just when i thought this farm scene was going to be a nothingburger. so is it the AI auto-attacking Kryptonians, is it a genuine malfunction, is it outside hacking, or is it LexCorp wanting a new baseline of Match?

I wonder what if MitchMatch just lets her get hurt?
Lex probably won't be expecting that.

"I see what you mean. But there are two problems. Firstly, while LexCorp has… Ah, tried to make connections with the magical community, there simply aren't that many magicians in America. Not ones with abilities that can be used on any sort of scale. As far as we can tell, magicians like Giovanni Zatara are actually very unusual, and are just born with far more raw power than most people.
It's a shame the economy and transportation sectors are still so fucked. Because I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, a henge network would probably do wonders when it comes to working around the "not everyone can be an archmage" problem by concentrating and directing ambient magic through a leyline magic to prepared locations. Doesn't matter if your corporate or government wizards don't have as much personal power as the Big Boys if they can just tap into a sufficiently large source of external magic via the almighty power of infrastructure.

The fact that such things also reduce the frequency and severity of violent geological activities like earthquakes and volcanos, and annoy Mercury as well is just using one stone to kill many different birds at once.

Working Relationship (part 8) New
April 27th, 2013
09:35 EST

Miss Teschmacher frowns at the robot. "No, and neither-"

The robot keeps accelerating, and large saw blades deploy from-

"-is that. Emergency override!"

-hatches on its side.

Oh, right. She's not a superhero or supervillain. She's just a business-

I turn in my seat, grab hold of her, jump out of the SUV with her in my arms and run get out of the robot's-

The robot slams into the SUV, bowling it over onto its side and then onto its roof before the saws bite into the lightweight chassis. Then it slides, the saws alternating between gripping and cutting until they hit the main battery-

BANG!

-which explodes!

-way, and then keep going because that wasn't an electromagnetic pulse so while I don't think LexCorp hardens its agricultural robots it wouldn't have damaged it anyway.

-woman. I look around-. Yeah, the other robot in this field has switched to all-wheel drive and is heading towards us while the one closest to us is trying to pry its saws free.

I could easily get away. They can't fly, and they don't have any anti-air weapons. I mean, I'd get away, but if they had lasers or something they could hurt Miss Teschmacher. And the gates couldn't stop me just smashing through them or jumping over them. I could probably melt these robots with heat vision in a couple of seconds.

But I'm pretending to be human.

"What the hell!"

Miss Teschmacher's arms are wrapped around my neck hard enough that if I was human it would probably hurt. But she's not trying to fight me off or anything, so I guess she's got decent survival instincts.

"Ah, Emergency override! Shut down!"

"The shutdown command is 'shut down'?"

"We don't want to make it hard to remember! This shouldn't-. Enginehead, take manual control!"

"Who?"

Okay, pretending to be human. The ground looks dry, but if they've been rotavating it so it'll probably be fairly loose. The robots weigh more than me, but using all their wheels, the robots have their weight spread more. I should stay on the roads as much as possible.

"Engine-. He's LexCorp's A.I. system. He should be-. Their microphones are off."

"They have microphones?"

CLANGclankclank!

The first robot shakes the SUV off its saws and awkwardly swings around. Second robot coming up on my right as I head back the way we came. Slow down, stop-

"What are you-? Keep going!"

-and wait for it to accelerate more because it's calculating speed and acceleration and it won't commit if it thinks I've got time to dodge.

"I did a training course."

"On getting run over?!"

The second robot deploys its saws. They give it better reach in case I dodge the main chassis. But given how fast it's moving and the structure of the soil-.

I turn and sprint for the gate, careful to keep it to 'fast human' speed. I mean, most people don't know exactly where the line is between what's possible for a really fit human and what isn't. Bridal carrying an adult woman while running away from truck-sized robots? I should be breathing hard by now. And I can't fake that, because kryptonians can hyperventilate. But she's almost certainly not going to notice.

"No. Escaping Mom's enemies."

Behind us, the robot-. Their wheels have independent drive? I didn't realise-. It slews around a lot quicker than I thought it would, but it still loses speed and slides sideways as it turns too quickly. And better yet, the first robot loses line of sight… Darn it. It doesn't stop coming, but it does slow down and turn… It turns to cut us off if we can't get through the closest gate and I have to run for the next closest one.

"Ah, okay, sorry. Are you alright..? Carrying me?"

"You're not that heavy. Is there anything else that can shut them down?"

"Ah-h… There's an override in the main facility…"

"Is there one on the robot?"

"No, because if something went wrong approaching it would be dangerous!"

I glance back as the second robot gets fully onto the road and pours on the speed.

"Yeah, I think you're right!"

"Their cameras should still work!"

The robot right behind me accelerates to about thirty miles an hour, faster than a human can run without super powers. Looks like that's as fast as it can go, but it's still gaining on us.

"Can it lip read?"

"No, but it can read text!"

"I mean, great, but how does that help?"

She goes quiet as I reach the gate and she slams the emergency release button. The robot heading for us isn't slowing down. A full-on impact… The gate isn't that tough, but the robot isn't armoured. I think the gate would go down, but the robot would still get damaged.

The gate doesn't open, and it doesn't open as she rattles it.

"It's not opening!"

"I noticed. You got any idea? Because the best I've got is we let the robot ram the gate and then rush through before it recovers."

She thinks for a moment as the robot barrels towards us.

"You got a notebook?"

"No, you said no recording devices. Wait, would that work?"

"If the camera weren't working then it wouldn't go anywhere. It's the same interpretation program for written words and physical objects. Without it, they.. just don't work." … "Can you boost me over the gate?"

I look up… The gate's pretty tall and it's got those curved over spikes to stop people climbing up. "I don't think so. And I definitely can't stop the robot ramming the gate, knocking you off and killing you."

"Fuuuck!" She takes a breath. "So, what, dodge again?"

"It's the best idea I've got."

I guess I could… Come out and swear her to secrecy, but while I want to help my father, I'm not dumb enough to actually trust him.

"Okay, put me down. I'm wearing flats, I can dodge-."

"I get trained by Amazons." Left or right? Camera distribution looks even, no obvious damage. Other robot moving to my right to block the next gate which means left is better. "I can dodge better. Are they networked?"

"They-." She sees how close it's getting. "They aren't designed to communicate with each other, just the central hub!"

Okay, just gotta judge this right… Closer…

"Mitchell!"

Now!

Whir!

CLANGCRUNCH!

Last edited:
I recall an anecdote online about how many women in comics fall over themselves when it comes to Peter Parker, the mythos treating him like Marvel's most eligible bachelor. Obviously the relationships have mutual feelings with mutual attraction, no manipulation from Peter. Continuing on- it is a blessing that Jay Jonah Jameson is a man, rather than an abrasive and loud woman. Because making Peter intimidated and clumsily flirting with his boss would be one heck of a dynamic.

Congrats Mitchel, you might have found your Lois Lane. Enjoy your future rescues. Unfortunately, she is your boss! Have fun, champ!

Wait, is he assuming that Teschmacher doesn't know who he really is or that his usage of superpowers would be recorded? Because he can't honestly believe that Lex (and consequently, Lex's trusted subordinates) doesn't know who he is, right?

What exactly is the excuse for having Wonder Woman as adoptive mother, anyway?

April 27th, 2013
09:35 EST

Miss Teschmacher frowns at the robot. "No, and neither-"

The robot keeps accelerating, and large saw blades deploy from-

"-is that. Emergency override!"
Vocal override? Good plan, if you can make yourself heard over shit going sideways. Also, saw blades seem a bit excessive for a planting unit. Unless they're for tree-roots or something. Unfortunately, that makes them especially potent against people, too.

-hatches on its side.

Oh, right. She's not a superhero or supervillain. She's just a business-
And no emergency drill could prepare you for something like this, either.

I turn in my seat, grab hold of her, jump out of the SUV with her in my arms and run get out of the robot's-

The robot slams into the SUV, bowling it over onto its side and then onto its roof before the saws bite into the lightweight chassis. Then it slides, the saws alternating between gripping and cutting until they hit the main battery-
Electric vehicle, so that's probably a lithium-ion battery in there. And they are not known for stability when...

BANG!

-which explodes!
...Breached. Seriously, Look up lithium-Ion batteries cooking off on your video site of choice. They are way too energetic. Unfortunately, they're also the best option we have until someone develops somethign cheaper, more efficient or both...

-way, and then keep going because that wasn't an electromagnetic pulse so while I don't think LexCorp hardens its agricultural robots it wouldn't have damaged it anyway.

I look around-. Yeah, the other robot in this field has switched to all-wheel drive and is heading towards us while the one closest to us is trying to pry its saws free.
Definitely not a single freak malfunction. The SUV going dark suggested it, but this confirms it. Someone is out to get either Mitchell or Eve.

I could easily get away. They can't fly, and they don't have any anti-air weapons. I mean, I'd get away, but if they had lasers or something they could hurt Miss Teschmacher. And the gates couldn't stop me just smashing through them or jumping over them. I could probably melt these robots with heat vision in a couple of seconds.
And any one of those options would blow your admittedly-loose cover. Rendering this whole exercise pointless.

"What the hell!"
OF course, you are a fairly fit young man, and trained by Amazons. So going a little beyond the norm is manageable.

Miss Teschmacher's arms are wrapped around my neck hard enough that if I was human it would probably hurt. But she's not trying to fight me off or anything, so I guess she's got decent survival instincts.

"Ah, Emergency override! Shut down!"
Pretty much instinct, yes.

"The shutdown command is 'shut down'?"

"We don't want to make it hard to remember! This shouldn't-. Enginehead, take manual control!"
...I have the feeling Enginehead is in manual control.

"Who?"

Okay, pretending to be human. The ground looks dry, but if they've been rotavating it so it'll probably be fairly loose. The robots weigh more than me, but using all their wheels, the robots have their weight spread more. I should stay on the roads as much as possible.
Yeah, it's not likely that you would trip, and a moment of flight would compensate for it, but... Undercover.

"Engine-. He's LexCorp's A.I. system. He should be-. Their microphones are off."

"They have microphones?"
Presumably as some part of their sensor network. Vocal commands, at the least.

CLANGclankclank!

The first robot shakes the SUV off its saws and awkwardly swings around. Second robot coming up on my right as I head back the way we came. Slow down, stop-
Depending on how they steer, last-second dodges could be effective. As long as you keep out of the way of those saws while you do so.

"What are you-? Keep going!"

-and wait for it to accelerate more because it's calculating speed and acceleration and it won't commit if it thinks I've got time to dodge.
Heh. All that training paying off.

"I did a training course."

"On getting run over?!"

The second robot deploys its saws. They give it better reach in case I dodge the main chassis. But given how fast it's moving and the structure of the soil-.
So much for that paddock, if nothing else.

I turn and sprint for the gate, careful to keep it to 'fast human' speed. I mean, most people don't know exactly where the line is between what's possible for a really fit human and what isn't. Bridal carrying an adult woman while running away from truck-sized robots? I should be breathing hard by now. And I can't fake that, because kryptonians can hyperventilate. But she's almost certainly not going to notice.
Though I imagine the amounts of air needed to induce that state are far larger. Worst case, blame any discrepancies on Amazon training. ;)

"No. Escaping Mom's enemies."

Behind us, the robot-. Their wheels have independent drive? I didn't realise-. It slews around a lot quicker than I thought it would, but it still loses speed and slides sideways as it turns too quickly. And better yet, the first robot loses line of sight… Darn it. It doesn't stop coming, but it does slow down and turn… It turns to cut us off if we can't get through the closest gate and I have to run for the next closest one.
Definitely being controlled by someone. A complex tactical move like that is probably not in their basic coding.

"Ah, okay, sorry. Are you alright..? Carrying me?"

"You're not that heavy. Is there anything else that can shut them down?"
Heh. Inadvertent compliment, though I doubt she'll remember it.

"Ah-h… There's an override in the main facility…"

"Is there one on the robot?"
...Do you want to try and reach it past the saws?

"No, because if something went wrong approaching it would be dangerous!"

I glance back as the second robot gets fully onto the road and pours on the speed.
Logical. This is certainly proving that correct.

"Yeah, I think you're right!"

"Their cameras should still work!"
Do they respond to sign-language? Written signage? And would the bots respond even if they could hold up a 'Shut Down!' flag?

The robot right behind me accelerates to about thirty miles an hour, faster than a human can run without super powers. Looks like that's as fast as it can go, but it's still gaining on us.

"Can it lip read?"
So not much faster than, say, a golf-cart. That's still a couple of tons of mass, and waving around sawblades.

"No, but it can read text!"

"I mean, great, but how does that help?"
So holding up a sign would work. Good luck getting a chance to write one.

She goes quiet as I reach the gate and she slams the emergency release button. The robot heading for us isn't slowing down. A full-on impact… The gate isn't that tough, but the robot isn't armoured. I think the gate would go down, but the robot would still get damaged.

The gate doesn't open, and it doesn't open as she rattles it.
Yeah, this is no more malfunction. This is a hit.

"It's not opening!"

"I noticed. You got any idea? Because the best I've got is we let the robot ram the gate and then rush through before it recovers."
Which isn't a great idea, but the alternative is hauling ass around the field with them chasing you like a goddamn Benny Hill finale.

She thinks for a moment as the robot barrels towards us.

"You got a notebook?"
And how fast can you write? :p

"No, you said no recording devices. Wait, would that work?"

"If the camera weren't working then it wouldn't go anywhere. It's the same interpretation program for written words and physical objects. Without it, they.. just don't work." … "Can you boost me over the gate?"
And that still relies on whatever's controlling them not overriding the safety protocols.

I look up… The gate's pretty tall and it's got those curved over spikes to stop people climbing up. "I don't think so. And I definitely can't stop the robot ramming the gate, knocking you off and killing you."

"Fuuuck!" She takes a breath. "So, what, dodge again?"
Just don't freeze up. A big ask for someone who's not in the usual branches of Lexcorp that might see trouble...

"It's the best idea I've got."

I guess I could… Come out and swear her to secrecy, but while I want to help my father, I'm not dumb enough to actually trust him.
He's probably just waiting for you to 'show your true colours' or something, if he's aware of this situation.

"Okay, put me down. I'm wearing flats, I can dodge-."

"I get trained by Amazons." Left or right? Camera distribution looks even, no obvious damage. Other robot moving to my right to block the next gate which means left is better. "I can dodge better. Are they networked?"
Would be bad if one coudl tell the other to head them off.

"They-." She sees how close it's getting. "They aren't designed to communicate with each other, just the central hub!"

Okay, just gotta judge this right… Closer…
Let's not cut it so close Eve loses a few hairs to their blades, anime-style.

If nothing else, he's looking real bad-ass to whoever's in control of the bots...

With any luck, it gets tangled in the gate wreckage...

Mitchell certainly showing his martial training off, even if he has to keep it at peak human level. I imagine whoever's behind this is getting a little frustrated by him not simply busting out the Kryptonian strength and turning the bots into modern art. Let's hope they don't try to escalate, though. There's a fair number of fields between them and the central facility, aren't there?

Wait, is he assuming that Teschmacher doesn't know who he really is or that his usage of superpowers would be recorded? Because he can't honestly believe that Lex (and consequently, Lex's trusted subordinates) doesn't know who he is, right?
Lex the supervillain knows who he is. Lex the honest business does not.

As long as Lex doesn't have a legal way to know Mitchel's identity (like, say, using your superpowers while being recorded by several robots), Lex can't act on it.

It's not a complete game-changer, but Lex having proof of his identity does make for some annoying possibilities.

I recall an anecdote online about how many women in comics fall over themselves when it comes to Peter Parker, the mythos treating him like Marvel's most eligible bachelor.
It's the one-two punch of him being strong, clever, and capable to activate the monkey-brain, and being adorkable and kind to tug the heartstrings.
Plus wall-crawling really sculpts the glutes.
In one issue an alien he encountered at a party was later able to recognize him in costume by his butt.

What exactly is the excuse for having Wonder Woman as adoptive mother, anyway?

Maybe it's been drilled into him that he should keep his identity a secret, so it's become a habit, even when it isn't necessary.

As for why Wonder Woman would adopt him, well she does do a lot of good work, so adopting an orphan would be something she does.

…why? Also, pretending for who? He has to know that LexCorp knows full well who and what he is. Not like 'adopted son of Wonder Woman' is an identity that will avoid scrutiny in the first place.

It's not a complete game-changer, but Lex having proof of his identity does make for some annoying possibilities.
What possibilities? Diana doesn't seem to have any difficulties with people knowing her legal identity.

…why? Also, pretending for who? He has to know that LexCorp knows full well who and what he is. Not like 'adopted son of Wonder Woman' is an identity that will avoid scrutiny in the first place.
Lex Luthor also knows who Superman is. The issue is that while LexCorp more or less got away with creating the genomorphs, cloning Superman would get them in a lot more trouble. Not legal trouble, popular perception trouble. Heck, most of their own staff wouldn't accept it. Meanwhile, the Justice League doesn't want to broadcast it in case someone else gets ideas and to allow the boys to have a life. But if he reveals himself, that all changes.
What possibilities? Diana doesn't seem to have any difficulties with people knowing her legal identity.
And neither does the SI. Kal-El on the other hand prefers to keep them separate, and his point of view is the local majority.

Not legal trouble, popular perception trouble.

that would be more valid pre-AntiLife, but i have a hard time imagining anyone would care now. they've got much bigger things to worry about than something that happened years ago, pre-Antilife, to a person/company that is now currently helping to rebuild. i do feel the remainder of your points stand though.

for what its worth, i get why Match is holding back. honestly i applaud his ability to cope and maneuver through this, given his awkwardness in so many other scenarios. i'm very curious to hear what the cause is here, and how Match adapts to it. will it affect his perception of Lex, if Lex has something to do with it? will Match's input start to change hearts and minds at LexCorp?

Honestly my guess is that this is some cockamamie plan by the AI that Lex didn't technically forbid it from doing, that Lex will be annoyed about when he finds out, but that will yield some sort of data or result that Enginehead can use to argue Lex around to its side.

LexCorp, man. Not even once.

that would be more valid pre-AntiLife, but i have a hard time imagining anyone would care now. they've got much bigger things to worry about than something that happened years ago, pre-Antilife, to a person/company that is now currently helping to rebuild

Yes, LexCorp is helping now, but during Anti-Life it was probably crippled and Luthor was in hiding, while Superman was helping people.

People may like Superman now more than ever.

Heck, him showing up probably convinced people not to kill themselves, even if he just stood around.

If this is the case then they're likely not going to like anyone that hurts him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back