• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

So Grayven is willing to risk having two Batmans having regular contact with each other, well if nothing else it at least makes things interesting.

They can probably help each other with the whole secret identity thing as well by showing up as Bruce while the other does stuff as Batman.

I come to the end of Batman's clearly-written and logically structured report on what's been happening since my last visit. The United States 50 is pursuing the same moderate, sensible policy relating to superheroics that the United States 16 is, with the added bonus that SHADE's agents are already used to working under the government's aegis. Other countries are… Well, they've been building up their superhuman development programs ever since the Lords vanished. Even Europe, which back on Earth 16 more or less follows the American laissez faire model, is leaning on superhumans with vigilante inclinations to join the police force if not the military.
So This universe is likely to be more Image Stormwatch/Youngblood, with government-controlled super-teams.

China's.. about the same. I somehow suspect that they were actually pretty okay with the Justice Lords taking over America.
I'll bet.

John shakes his head. "No one with any sense, anyway." He looks a little uncomfortably at Sunset as she sets up a laser drone to project a circle on the floor around him. "Why exactly are you doing this?"
For Science! Magical Science!

Sunset smiles brightly. "I'm trying to learn how to become a god. I want to get as much data as I can from people who've been empowered by different forces."
I bet that sets off so many alarms in the Lords' heads.

"No. I don't even know if they-" Sunset's sensors glow a faint green, promoting her to give them a puzzled frown. "-know. I've been making a point of avoiding the Rayner kid, so he can't confirm how I'm still using the green light."
Very sensible. I wouldn't doubt the Guardians are moderately sensitive to Will usage anyway...

The Watchtower has foundry which we can use to fabricate what we need to keep things running."
The Watchtower has a foundry which we can use to fabricate what we need to keep things running."

She glances at Batman, then shrugs. "We can't just order everything from WayneTech anymore. Or the US space defence budget."
The joy of running an entire country...

"Ours is a good deal more rational than yours. And I'm keeping an eye on him. I can have a few dozen cosmic converters brought through in a.. day or so. Ship designs and parts should be simple enough, including a luminal drive. It's a bit different to the warp drives you're used to, but I'm sure that you can adapt." Aaaah… "Actually, I can offer you people to fully staff this place again. There's a synthetic species working for me-."
Heh. He's basically turning them into the Authority. They even have the hardline philosophy.

"Heck, if you want…" I shrug. "I suppose you can't really spend time on Earth, being former super-dictators. But there's no problem with you spending time on my Earth. You look different enough from our versions of you that I doubt that anyone would spot it."
Hoo boy. Interdimensional tourism...

Shayera nods and presses a button, causing a screen to appear displaying the region which Grayven 50 controls. Pretty decent going, actually, and far enough away from Apokolips that he doesn't need to worry much about interference. Did he set up there before or after Darkseid's death?
Heh. When the tyrant's away, the whelps will play.

Shayera shrugs. "I saw the same intelligence reports from Hro's command ship that you did. We never found out when it happened because no one was looking that way. The first Thanagar knew about it was when the ships that usually guarded that part of space disappeared. And given the fact that he uses boom tubes, he wouldn't need to move his people by ship."
Depends on how much control he wants to maintain, really. Be a bit of a pain if only he controlled the Tubes, and they had an emergency while he was occupied.

"I'd pick a world that was inhabited but primitive. I'd settle in a reasonably empty area and set up widespread farmlands and schools. Nothing planetside is easier to mine than asteroids but my people would need somewhere to live."
More proof our Grayven might not be the New God of Military Conquest... Have you noticed he rarely acquires things via purely military might. Tamaran notwithstanding, since they're kind of independent of him.

"He'd just need to find a settled group that had farming and make a deal. Plus, I assume that he has the same god-voice that I do. If he conquered them, he could use that to ensure that they stayed conquered as long as he treated them with basic decency."
Why would they want to rebel if they benefit from being conquered, after all?

"No, he is. There." I point. "Lizarkon auxiliaries. Almost certainly locals. Given how unified and militant the thanagarian population is… My ability isn't outright mind control, it's a constant mental nudge. Someone who hates him isn't suddenly going to start cooperating, and he's the only one who can do it. But with all the dead in the war, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the lizarkons now represent an outright majority of the population. He can put a few community leaders into positions of power, give a gordanian clan chief governorship until a local has proven themselves worthy of the role, and his powers will make a neutral party inclined to go along with him."
Raising up the downtrodden. Another way to encourage cooperation with you.

"That.. might do it. There's no obvious reason for him to have a conflict with Queen Hyathis. She doesn't have any reason to cure it a second time. His god-name might well let him act as Lord High Equalizer. Heck, he might accept Hyathis' vassalage and give the planet to her."
Oh, dear.

"If he has to stay around to hold the planet, Earth could be safe for decades. If he's able to speed that up… Earth's quite an attractive prospect."
Depends largely on his mood, then...

Well. that was enlightening, in many ways. This promises to get interesting...

I think we're space Seattle
Seattle is also Space Seattle. Earth is Space Australia.

Man, what you've done with god names is fun. Little bit tempted to try my hand at a fanfic with that as SI's power
I've also thought about something like that (if I'm not misunderstanding you). The main problem is that you basically start off as equivalent to a regular human - or possibly a regular human with a mother box, which is what I was thinking of. The former puts you at a significant disadvantage, especially if you aren't starting out rich, or with a rich sponsor.

So why wouldn't Batman want to be the Bat God / God of Night / God of Ninjas? Lords Batman might be sufficiently different.
Maybe, but Batman's specific brand of insanity seems pretty consistent here, and it doesn't mesh well with radical self-modification like that.

Seattle is also Space Seattle. Earth is Space Australia.

I've also thought about something like that (if I'm not misunderstanding you). The main problem is that you basically start off as equivalent to a regular human - or possibly a regular human with a mother box, which is what I was thinking of. The former puts you at a significant disadvantage, especially if you aren't starting out rich, or with a rich sponsor.

Ehhhh... I chalk that up to writer's choice. I'm not that familiar with the canon new gods and we don't really see Zoat's version at "Baseline Human" level. I'd probably start them out with some sort of ability.

What would Bat God be the god off? Shadows and justice?
Night? Darkness? Dark Nights?:p Tech/Gadgets used for combat? Boomerangs (Since archery is a thing people are God's of)? He'd probably get powers like The Shade if it's the first few.

Also, New 52 already has a Bat God, Barbados, and it's one of the reasons Zoat thinks New 52 is dumb. Though some of the Evil Alt Batman's that story came up with are kind of cool if you don't think about them too much.

Last edited:
So why wouldn't Batman want to be the Bat God / God of Night / God of Ninjas? Lords Batman might be sufficiently different.

My personal interpretation is that it's a matter of strategy.

If he does a permanent upgrade, the upgrade will become known, and his enemies will escalate in response.

A bulletproof Batman will just inspire Joker and the like to bring out bazookas and high explosives at the first sight of him.

Temporary upgrades, he can keep those up his sleeves for when he needs a trump card.

He's defeated at least three supervillains by using their own superpowers against them- Clayface, Flame-Master, Doctor Double X. He's taken the man-bat serum. He's built special power armors. He's worn the magical Suit of Sorrows.

Lord Batman seems less concerned with not escalating, what with the conquering the USA thing...

What would Bat God be the god off? Shadows and justice?

Post flashpoint he became the god of knowledge.

In Trinity, he was Ahtman the Night Judge

If I could give superpowers and had the ability and opportunity to give it to Batman, I would do it without asking. Not just because it's interesting, it would be funny and it would be a dick move, but also because the guy's insane and doesn't have a good plan for what happens if he gets taken down.

Also, why not God of Detectives?

If I could give superpowers and had the ability and opportunity to give it to Batman, I would do it without asking. Not just because it's interesting, it would be funny and it would be a dick move, but also because the guy's insane and doesn't have a good plan for what happens if he gets taken down.

Also, why not God of Detectives?
Hard to show / describe what he could actually do then. Kind of useless in most situations.

Hard to show / describe what he could actually do then. Kind of useless in most situations.

I don't know, I have seen Sherlock and I liked it. If being God Detective was like that, maybe even a bit better, plus some buffs to martial arts or something, that sounds pretty good. But I concede the point that it may be hard to describe.

What do new god powers and a godname do exactly anyway?

God-Batman could be something like Taskmaster where he can learn and master new skills within minutes.

What do new god powers and a godname do exactly anyway?

Varying levels of enhanced durability and strength by default. Grayven described the durability as something along the lines of being too important to hurt once if I remember correctly. There's the ability to use New God tech. The invisible God speech thing, and varying abilities depending on what they're the New God of.

I don't know, I have seen Sherlock and I liked it. If being God Detective was like that, maybe even a bit better, plus some buffs to martial arts or something, that sounds pretty good. But I concede the point that it may be hard to describe.
Problem is: at Sherlock level, it's not a powerup over Batman, and is attainable by normal means. And the main ability of a detective: "to discover the truth" just sounds like divination. Also, that seems kind of more like The Question's area of expertise.

Problem is: at Sherlock level, it's not a powerup over Batman, and is attainable by normal means. And the main ability of a detective: "to discover the truth" just sounds like divination. Also, that seems kind of more like The Question's area of expertise.

Depends on which Sherlock. I remember hearing that the Fate/Stay Night version has an ability to ensure that there IS a solution along with the Sherlock-y-ness to arrive at it. So with him the big bad would always have a weakness instead of being completely invincible or something.

The Question already has shaman magic and I wouldn't consider him a better detective than Batman, although that may be because the guy doesn't have the money. For a God Detective I just imagine having as natural abilities all the "Detective Mode" mechanics of the Arkham games plus eidetic memory and the supernatural luck required to always find whatever is needed to "detect, discover and reveal" any mystery or question you are presented with. You know, maybe he's already a God Detective, I'm writing this and it makes perfect sense with how Batman resolves some cases.

Considering the situation with this Grayven is no one going to suggest bringing Clark's parents to him to talk some sanity into him, or have him face himself using the lasso of truth?
Don't... Assume that's always going to work.

Edit: Should start at 2:10:00

Last edited:
I wonder what would happen if JL 12 met JL 50 and Stormwatch and talked about the OLs they met. It would never happen, but it would be interesting to see their opinions of the OL their counterparts interacted with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back