• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Like I said in my other post, I'd argue that going out of your way to help commit genocide against a third party that your corps has no official stance against without even informing the corps of such a plan, and in fact going out of your way to hide it from them until it was too late, is at best insubordination and at worst counts as going AWOL

It isn't a perfect comparison but imagine if two marines overseas decided to work alongside a local militia to exterminate a group that the US has no official relations with and went out of their way to hide that from a visiting general because they thought he might stop them
IMO any comparison to military language or norms is just wrong when it comes to Paul's approach to the OLC. He knows any OLC members can go off and do whatever they want to; and the role he takes on is mostly mentoring. He finds ways to link their desires to his (Paul's) broader goals. It's not command and control, it's individually tailored personal/skill/spiritual development programs.

IMO any comparison to military language or norms is just wrong when it comes to Paul's approach to the OLC. He knows any OLC members can go off and do whatever they want to; and the role he takes on is mostly mentoring. He finds ways to link their desires to his (Paul's) broader goals. It's not command and control, it's individually tailored personal/skill/spiritual development programs.
Except there clearly is a structure to the OLC, if one that far looser than any real world military, Dox is in charge, Paul is second in command, there's a clear command structure with the Controllers and whilst your free to pursue your own desires you also represent the Corps, meaning that any enemy you make is their enemy as well unless they're willing to give you up, so you have to keep them up to date on what you're using the power given to you by them for

And you especially don't hide from, lie to and manipulate the second highest ranking and most powerful member of the Corps because an outsider convinced you to

If it wasn't the princesses that had done this I could see Paul taking their rings off them

Conqueror's Moon (part 27)
27th December 2004
22:31 GMT -5

I can feel it through Grayven 50's command ship as the gordanian command carriers begin to disengage. The New God technology he built into their ships makes it.. easy. And a part of that might be due to me being spiritually similar to him… I don't know. I presume that they're heading back to Thanagar, but frankly I don't care all that much. It's possible that with their paramount chief dead that the gordanian clans who unified under him will fracture once again, or maybe like the clans who followed Genghis Khan they will remain organised in the manner he arranged them.

I imagine that it left rather an impression.

They could have stayed. The more intelligent amongst them must have realised that I couldn't get full control of Grayven 50's command ship as quickly as I implied. But perhaps the issue there was that Grayven 50 wanted to conquer Earth in order to recruit a new generation of officers. With his death that same incentive doesn't exist. However useful they were finding New God technology, they don't have anyone else who can use it. They might not even be able to build it any longer.

"And done."

Zatanna 50 steps back as I tentatively raise my right hand to my face. Well, for better or worse, it's back again. I then raise and flex my left hand.

"Thank you. Have you gotten practice since my last visit?"

"I've had practice." Zatanna glances at Barda. "You aren't the only New God who takes a lot of punishment."

I nod, standing as I do so. Sinestro, armour repair.

A glow covers my body as he gets to work. Mother Box will need to finish it off, but for 'simple' transmutation work it's easier to just leave him to it.

In progress, Lantern Grayven.

Richard turns away from where Scott is interfacing his Mother Box with the ship's systems. "Feeling better?"

"Physically. I'm sorry about your father."

He shakes his head. "I'll believe he's dead when I see the body."

"Hyperblasters don't leave bodies."

There's no view screen to look at, but he glances away for a moment. "John's not coming back in until he finds something. Shayera's not either. I… Look, if you think you'll have an easier time of using the ship's sensors than Mister Miracle-."

"I'll try. But-" I shake my head. "-I'm not expecting to find anything. I'd like little better than for Sunset, Rex, Batman and the genomorphs to still be alive. I just don't think a version of me would be that sloppy."

He nods. "No, but look anyway."

I nod back and head over to where Scott is regarding his Mother Box with a degree of puzzlement. "Having trouble?"

"How much contact with Apokoliptian warships do you think I've had?"

"Scott Sixteen had some. They were training him as an aero-trooper before he left Apokolips." I attach my Mother Box to what's left of the console next to Scott's. "Mother Box, interface."

"Ping."

Like when I felt the gordanians leave, I don't technically need Mother Box for this. In much the same way that companies managed perfectly well with filing cabinets before electronic databases were invented. I can feel just fine but it I want precision in a timely manner a Mother Box assistant is very useful.

Right. I Am Your Master.

Ping.

Scott looks at me appraisingly and Barda stares as the texture of the space inside the ship changes. I hadn't noticed it before… Perhaps the sarcophagus and the Anti-Life were disrupting it? The ship doesn't have a Mother Box equivalent or a more conventional AI; Grayven 50 probably didn't need one. Alright, records and sensors.

Ping.

"It's showing me organic chemicals. The Watchtower's waste disposal was located towards the base of the structure, wasn't it?"

Scott shrugs and looks at Richard.

"Yeah."

I use the ship's records to map the effect of the shot on the Watchtower. Grayven 50 was more concerned with demonstrating his power and undermining me than he was with making certain that everyone on the station was killed. Which makes sense; if I was going to do anything the first shot would have spurred me to act, and he could have finished off any survivors afterwards. Which he didn't do, because he was busy getting his head back in order after the Anti-Life exposure.

Faint hope. What was it Moist von Lipwig said about hope? I actually don't remember. Something along the lines of it making you buy any con just so you could convince yourself that you weren't being fooled. I'm not going to find anything just looking like this.

"Mother Box, boom tube to the Mountain."

Ping.

Boom!

The portal opens in front of me.

Anyone make it back there?

Ping.

No, I didn't think so. Close it down.

I go back through the logs for the ship's esoteric sensors. There weren't any New Gods in the target area, and I assume that Rex won't-. Wouldn't have been displaying his father's innate green light manipulation abilities. Or perhaps that would have been something he picked up later. I don't remember whether Jade was green from birth or not.

The New God technology I built in registered, but the targeting system was only set to compensate for shields and weapons. Shields… They were a little further down. They didn't have enough New Gods to get full use out of them or maintain them, and it would have interfered with their stealth systems. If… They got out, it would have been by the one boom tube I built or Sunset's magic. The ship can detect shifts in magic fields, but it didn't really have a background standard for Earth.

"Zatanna! Could you check to see whether someone used magic in the area of space where the Watchtower used to be?"

"Not easily. New God weapons and technology mess around with magic too much."

"Alright. Sinestro, connect me to John's radio."

"Stewart here."

"John, we're looking for bodies that aren't there. Either they were totally destroyed, or they got away."

"You got a better idea?"

"Create a construct-replica of the Watchtower. There are hiding-spells that are triggered by the existence of a safe space at the exit point. In theory, Sunset could have cast one." I look around. "Zatanna, Richard, could you pop down to Earth to make sure that they haven't appeared there?"

Boom!

I frown. That wasn't-.

Kanto strolls through, no longer holding his anti-New God gun. "I believe that you may have misplaced something."

Sunset walks through, looking around in obvious alarm, Rex on a sling across her chest. "What the buck happened?"

I dash across the intervening space, hauling her and my godson up and embracing them as tightly as I dare. "Where have you been?"

"There.. weren't any New Gods on the Watchtower so.. I went to Themyscira. I took Rex because Batman said he needed to get out more. Why?"

"My alter ego destroyed the Watchtower. I thought you were dead."

"Ah yes." Kanto smiles smugly. "About 'being dead'."

"Next thing I do after returning Rex to his parents."

Last edited:
I can feel it through Grayven 50's command ship as the gordanian command carriers begin to disengage. The New God technology he built into their ships makes it.. easy. And a part of that might be due to me being spiritually similar to him… I don't know. I presume that they're heading back to Thanagar, but frankly I don't care all that much. It's possible that with their paramount chief dead that the gordanian clans who unified under him will fracture once again, or maybe like the clans who followed Genghis Khan they will remain organised in the manner he arranged them.
As long as they stay away from Earth, they can turn into vegetarian navel-gazers for all anyone cares...

They could have stayed. The more intelligent amongst them must have realised that I couldn't get full control of Grayven 50's command ship as quickly as I implied. But perhaps the issue there was that Grayven 50 wanted to conquer Earth in order to recruit a new generation of officers. With his death that same incentive doesn't exist. However useful they were finding New God technology, they don't have anyone else who can use it. They might not even be able to build it any longer.
I hope that proves correct.

"And done."

Zatanna 50 steps back as I tentatively raise my right hand to my face. Well, for better or worse, it's back again. I then raise and flex my left hand.
Ah, that didn't take long.

"Thank you. Have you gotten practice since my last visit?"

"I've had practice." Zatanna glances at Barda. "You aren't the only New God who takes a lot of punishment."
I'll bet she does...

In progress, Lantern Grayven
Missing full stop there, Mr Zoat.

Richard turns away from where Scott is interfacing his Mother Box with the ship's systems. "Feeling better?"

"Physically. I'm sorry about your father."

He shakes his head. "I'll believe he's dead when I see the body."
It's Batman. That logic will prove remarkably astute, no doubt.

"Hyperblasters don't leave bodies."

There's no view screen to look at, but he glances away for a moment. "John's not coming back in until he find something. Shayera's not either. I… Look, if you think you'll have an easier time of using the ship's sensors than Mister Miracle-."

"I'll try. But-" I shake my head. "-I'm not expecting to find anything. I'd like little better than for Sunset, Rex, Batman and the genomorphs to still be alive. I just don't think a version of me would be that sloppy."
The ship's probably better tuned for warfare than 'freedom'.

I nod back and head over to where Scott is regarding his Mother Box with a degree of puzzlement. "Having trouble?"

"How much contact with Apokoliptian warships do you think I've had?"

"Scott Sixteen had some. They were training him as an aero-trooper before he left Apokolips." I attach my Mother Box to what's left of the console next to Scott's. "Mother Box, interface."
Another odd point of difference...

Like when I felt the gordanians leave, I don't technically need Mother Box for this. In much the same way that companies managed perfectly well with filing cabinets before electronic databases were invented. I can feel just fine but it I want precision in a timely manner a Mother Box assistant is very useful.
Double space there.

Scott looks at me appraisingly and Barda stares as the texture of the space inside the ship changes. I hadn't noticed it before… Perhaps the sarcophagus and the Anti-Life were disrupting it? The ship doesn't have a Mother Box equivalent or a more conventional AI; Grayven 50 probably didn't need one. Alright, records and sensors.

Ping.
One more example of Grayven-50 wanting Vassals. He made the classic mistake of wanting no-one but himself in charge of anything.

I use the ship's records to map the effect of the shot on the Watchtower. Grayven 50 was more concerned with demonstrating his power and undermining me than he was with making certain that everyone on the station was killed. Which makes sense; if I was going to do anything the first shot would have spurred me to act, and he could have finished off any survivors afterwards. Which he didn't do, because he was busy getting his head back in order after the Anti-Life exposure.
One shot, one kill. Solid idea, but we've seen how well that worked.

Faint hope. What was it Moist von Lipwig said about hope? I actually don't remember. Something along the lines of it making you buy any con just so you could convince yourself that you weren't being fooled. I'm not going to find anything just looking like this.

"Mother Box, boom tube to the Mountain."
Dialing home? interesting.

The portal opens in front of me.

Anyone make it back there?

Ping.

Damn.

I go back through the logs for the ship's esoteric sensors. There weren't any New Gods in the target area, which I assume that Rex won't-. Wouldn't have been displaying his father's innate green light manipulation abilities. Or perhaps that would have been something he picked up later. I don't remember whether Jade was green from birth or not.

The New God technology I built in registered, but the targeting system was only set to compensate for shields and weapons. Shields… They were a little further down. They didn't have enough New Gods to get full use out of them or maintain them, and it would have interfered with their stealth systems. If… They got out, it would have been by the one boom tube I built or Sunset's magic. The ship can detect shifts in magic fields, but it didn't really have a background standard for Earth.
So, it wouldn't identify any other method that Batman might have planned. Because you know he'd have something.

"Zatanna! Could you check to see whether someone used magic in the area of space where the Watchtower used to be?"

"Not easily. New God weapons and technology mess around with magic too much."
Damn, another option blocked.

"Alright. Sinestro, connect me to John's radio."

"Stewart here."

"John, we're looking for bodies that aren't there. Either they were totally destroyed, or they got away."
And I bet John's hoping it was the latter.

"You got a better idea?"

"Create a construct-replica of the Watchtower. There are hiding-spells that are triggered by the existence of a safe space at the exit point. In theory, Sunset could have cast one." I look around. "Zatanna, Richard, could you pop down to Earth to make sure that they haven't appeared there?"
Like shining a lantern in the night, hoping the lost ones see it...

Boom!

I frown. That wasn't-.

Kanto strolls through, no longer holding his anti-New God gun. "I believe that you may have misplaces something."
Well, well, New God of Swagger. Let's see what you've got.

Sunset walks through, looking around in obvious alarm, Rex on a sling across her chest. "What the buck happened?"

I dash across the intervening space, hauling her and my godson up and embracing them as tightly as I dare. "Where have you been?"
YES! Cue happy dancing amongst the thread.

"There.. weren't any New Gods on the Watchtower so.. I went to Themyscira. I took Rex because Batman said he needed to get out more. Why?"

"My alter ego destroyed the Watchtower. I thought you were dead."
...All that stress... And you weren't even there? Argh!

"Ah yes." Kanto smiles smugly. "About 'being dead'."

"Next thing I do after returning Rex to his parents."
One thing at a time, Swagger-boy. Do you want an angry Thanagarian momma bird and her Green Elemental baby-daddy mad at you?

Well, that's good news. Admittedly, we kind of expected her to be fine somehow, but it's nice to have it confirmed!

Godspeech:

Right. I Am Your Master.

Ping.

Ping.

Scott shrugs and looks at Richard.

"Yeah."

I go back through the logs for the ship's esoteric sensors. There weren't any New Gods in the target area, which I assume that Rex won't-. Wouldn't have been displaying his father's innate green light manipulation abilities. Or perhaps that would have been something he picked up later. I don't remember whether Jade was green from birth or not.

Last edited:
Called it.
But since this is a fan-fiction I am going to guess to go pick up your miraculously surviving allies. (Except maybe the Genomorphs who are pretty much faceless clones so don't really count on the "always survive" scale.)
Right down to the Genomorphs dying due to being the equivalent of his pet cat.

Genomorphs are a group mind, remember? As long as a good number of them are still alive on Earth, it doesn't really matter if a particular batch gets killed. Even the unique ones like Ixy can have their memories downloaded from the collective into a new body.

Oh thank Zoat. This was going to be the second worst Martin you'd have done after Teek'l. Thank you very much for not doing that to us.

Fucking hell I am so looking forward to the arc where Sunset returns to Equestria. If Zoat killed off best waifu Sunny Bun, I'd have legit rage quit on him! And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited:
Fucking hell I am so looking forward to the arc where Sunset returns to Equestria, if Zoat killed off best waifu Sunny Bun I'd have legit rage quit on him! And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Eh, it wouldn't be the first time we had multiple Renegade episodes in a row.

What, you thought he'd let her stay dead?

Okay, we don't beleive Batman's actually dead, right? He is too much of a Gary Stue to die to a mere FTL god weapon.

The main problem is that Ponies don't have fingers. He'd either have to put the ring on his unicorn horn, or turn it into a bracelet.

Sure it is, because you can't use a power ring

Wrong:
latest

or hold a sword as a pony.

Also wrong:
Rainbow_Dash_and_Celaeno_clash_swords_MLPTM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back