• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

What short story is he talking about? And what author? Pratchett? (What with the recent references). His books tend to be kind of hit or miss, though, at least for me. Depending on the book, I either love it, or it's just meh...

Unfortunately, I don't think Isley got reformed in this. And she lost her powers. So no to her being in birds of Prey. Catwoman would definetely be an option, judging by her in the NSFW fic.

Also, I think Harley just looked in the face of madness and said "Huh." If that's not the definition of a psychotherapist , I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Last edited:
The trick is to stop before you reach the room-that-echoes1m15s stage.
I'm mildly surprised that you got in before Richard Were-rat.
Eh, I was making food and didn't press post until after. Hence he beat me to 'Best Girl', but mine elaborated.

Also her comment regarding her brother was hilarious

For anyone who needs reminding:
She folds her arms across her chest and looks away

"I am unhappy to be called upon in this manner. My brother has been making.. lewd insinuations, about our interactions."

Yes, I support a Melinoe section for the Eros 'omake' segments

Last edited:
"What sort of idiot would volunteer for something like that?"
All kinds of emotional/mental thrill seekers and masochists, I imagine.

I imagine she'll be very popular in some of the more dedicated goth subculture groups, weeding out the "posers" with her nightmares and suchlike...

Can she only grant nightmares and madness or take them as well? If she has domain powers she should make an excellent psychiatrist.
Thats like asking Hades to raise the dead or Ares and Athena to end Wars, like ysah they probably could, but it would extremely contrary to their nature.

It's genuinely shocking (in the best way) to see a Harley who is genuinely interested in academia like this. Too often Harley in fanfiction, even before meeting the Joker, ends up shunted into a ditzy role (I remember one version slept with her professor for a degree, with the goal of writing a tell-all book to get rich quick). I like the idea of a Harley who is a real scientist.

The "slept with her professor" part has actually been part of her canon backstory at least a couple of times. The Tvtropes page for the relevant trope not only uses Harley for the page image; but of the five entries under Comic Books, three are about her.

Thats like asking Hades to raise the dead or Ares and Athena to end Wars, like ysah they probably could, but it would extremely contrary to their nature.

On the contrary, you could go a Discworld-ish route giving people like say the Joker or Killer Croc the delusion that the are Completely Sane and Normal people who have always been Normal people or be sane but act like a stereotypical British person. Replace peoples debilitating madness with some thing that doesn't keep them from living a "normal" life, like a compulsion to walk backwards or that there is/was a ministry of silly walks.

Uh. Ahum... Please hold for a minute, I think I'm having some part of my mind blown after reading this "divinely-induced catharsis" experiment.

Like... The idea that a mentally unwell patient who consistently takes their medicine for months on end, long enough will fully understand the differences in competence, attitude and more is a single long-term goal for therapists. This idea of giving healthy customers a taste of something like Alzheimer's or depressed/apathetic patients a taste of mania to give them idea of normalcy *really* interests me.

Hmm... I wonder if normal gods operate by the same sort of conceptual techniques we've been seeing from the new gods?

Also we've seen a bit of it with conquest vs conquest, but I wonder how something between two gods with different ideas about a shared domain would play out? Say, Apollo vs Amaterasu, Thor vs Zeus, or in this case one that sees madness as punishment vs one that sees it as liberation.

Melinoe's character seems almost identical to Raven in the Teen Titans show. I thought mrZoat didn't like it?

The "slept with her professor" part has actually been part of her canon backstory at least a couple of times. The Tvtropes page for the relevant trope not only uses Harley for the page image; but of the five entries under Comic Books, three are about her.

It's canon in the universe of DCAU, where she originated, I'm not aware of it being repeated.

There is a similar backstory, but in that one she was acing the class, and slept with her professor because she just wanted to sleep with her professor.

Unfortunately, I don't think Isley got reformed in this. And she lost her powers. So no to her being in birds of Prey. Catwoman would definetely be an option, judging by her in the NSFW fic.
She lost her powers, which made her sane again. Then Swamp Thing let her have some of the power back without going crazy. Last I remember she was in the low security wing of a prison and the doctors believe she has rehabilitated. Has she been let out yet Mr Zoat?

Just add magic from her new BFF Melinoë to make her a credible threat to bad guys.

Thankfully Zoat probably isn't following current DC, but Harley, per Heroes in Crisis, is acknowledged by Batman as being a better fighter than he is, and was too fast for Wonder Woman to keep up with. Also managed to stab through Booster Gold's suit with a butter knife she took from a diner (yes it had more of a point than most butter knives, but it was the knife they gave her with a slice of pie, so).

"It wouldn't take much effort to make marker tokens, which could be taken by people who actively want nightmares. Then you could practice your trade upon them."
Huh. So that's where the name comes from.

While Grayven is hugging his pony in love and happiness, Paul is figuring out how to market actual nightmares and insanity.

I stopped being able tell who's the good one anymore a long time ago.
Grayven has been the good one for a while, now. Certainly since before the switch to QQ, maybe even since before the switch to SV.

Thankfully Zoat probably isn't following current DC, but Harley, per Heroes in Crisis, is acknowledged by Batman as being a better fighter than he is, and was too fast for Wonder Woman to keep up with. Also managed to stab through Booster Gold's suit with a butter knife she took from a diner (yes it had more of a point than most butter knives, but it was the knife they gave her with a slice of pie, so).
Did she steal super powers from someone else when no one was looking?

What?! Are they trying to make Harley the Squirrel Girl of DC or some bullshit like that? How in all hells would she be a better fighter than Batman and too fast for Wonder Woman to keep up?! Who gave her Kryptonian powers?

Ugh, you know what, I don't want to know. For a reason I stopped reading new comics a good long while ago and only re-read my favorite classics.

Also, I agree, Grayven has been the "good" one of the story for a really long time. Plus, he has better snark and witticisms than the Illustres.

While I suppose it's possible that the spores of the Collective are actually born with a power ring inside their bodies, I suspect they actually come by their powers organically.
If the Collective Queen was actually mass producing green lantern power rings, then the GLC would be sitting on billions of extra rings, as each ring became free as an individual puffball dies.
The spores each have a bit of intelligence, but are a hivemind. Collectively, the billion of them have the will to wield a power ring.
they all have digits or appendages that a standard power ring fits on.
Pull Leezle Pon's finger. I dare you.

Melinoe's character seems almost identical to Raven in the Teen Titans show. I thought mrZoat didn't like it?
No, Teen Titans is fine. Teen Titans Go is excretable.

Also, Raven doesn't have horns or wear a mask.
I can't even parody something that stupid.

"Perhaps I was premature in my assessment of your mental state after all."

Oh El mind runs on greed, that's not what I would call sane.

It says something that even when making stupid mistakes Grayven is more human than he is.

Heck it has got to the point I don't care about Oh El anymore.

Okay seriously what's with the 'Paragon is inhuman' thing I genuinely cannot figure out what anyone is talking about.
People who say that are pointing out that Paragon's thought processes don't work like a typical person's anymore. Between training himself to think in terms of orange light and the automatic insights he gets from enlightenment, he's no longer necessarily aligned with the instincts common to most humans.

Whether this qualifies his thought processes as "inhuman" or not is a matter of opinion, but it's not factually wrong.

I think the people who are saying that Grayven is the good one now are thinking about it in way too black and white terms, both Paragon and Renegade have done some pretty awful stuff the main difference between them is their thought processes and I'd argue that since Grayvens is closer to normal humans than Paul's that he's actually worse from a human perspective because he's committed his atrocities with the mindset of a human whereas Paul has committed his with a mindset that's only about 80% human

While Grayven is hugging his pony in love and happiness, Paul is figuring out how to market actual nightmares and insanity.

I stopped being able tell who's the good one anymore a long time ago.

The difference is not "good and evil", it's never been "good and evil". The difference is that Grayven is impulsive whereas Paul is methodical. All of the rest of their differences are merely the effects of impulsiveness or methodicalness.

The rest of their personalities and ultimate goals are the same, it's just that Grayven will grab for whatever catches his interest while Paul will make plans and then carry them out.

Yeah, she is mostly just the Jokers girl or a independent villain or semi-villain that USED to be the Jokers girl and no longer has much I any interest in academics.

To be fair the Harley Quinn most of us are familiar with has had her psyche thoroughly destroyed by quite possibly the most dangerous psychopathic genius and force for chaos in the world. This one never had the chance to be tortured, abused, and shaped into what Joker wanted her to be.

No, Teen Titans is fine. Teen Titans Go is excretable.

I could not agree more. TT was pretty awesome. TTG is utter shit.

People who say that are pointing out that Paragon's thought processes don't work like a typical person's anymore. Between training himself to think in terms of orange light and the automatic insights he gets from enlightenment, he's no longer necessarily aligned with the instincts common to most humans.

Whether this qualifies his thought processes as "inhuman" or not is a matter of opinion, but it's not factually wrong.

I know someone in real life whose thought processes seem pretty far from typical. In his case I'd call it a good thing, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him inhuman because of it. Atypical absolutely, but not inhuman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back