• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Why? What were they in canon? I can't find anything about them on the fallout wiki.
I'm not sure that they were in canon Fallout. It just seems like a waste that Area 51 is on the map, canon Fallout has aliens, and the people who live there have nothing to do with them. I'd rather they had a focus than Broken Coast. Broken Coast means that I need to learn how to use navy. In Hearts of Iron IV. Who does that?

Last edited:
From the context, I take it 'FEV' is very much hated by the 'pure' human factions...

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Forced_Evolutionary_Virus

Short version? Artificial viral load that was supposed to adapt lifeforms to being immune to radiation - while that part works, when it's successful, the developers decided it would be a great idea (in typical Fallout fashion) to also make the recipients into the psychopathic general's perfect shock trooper - huge, stupid, and unreasonably strong. The anthropophagy may actually be an unintended side effect, but it's a damn common one.

I'm not sure that they were in canon Fallout. It just seems like a waste that Area 51 is on the map, canon Fallout has aliens, and the people who live there have nothing to do with them. I'd rather they had a focus that Broken Coast. Broken Coast means that I need to learn how to use navy. In Hearts of Iron IV. Who does that?

I've found myself playing Desert Rangers, again and again, I always loved the idea of getting them to tell the NCR to kick rocks. I found myself using this mod which allows you to advance from Tribal to Civilized, or Civilized to Advanced. The Advanced decision requires 100 free civilian factories to use.

The explanation given in Fallout 1 is that Mariposa was hit during the war, spreading an unfinished version of the virus across the region. A lot of mutations happened as a result, and most local wastelanders have partial immunity to FEV as a result. Only people protected from that exposure can become Super Mutants and retain their full intelligence. Like Vault Dwellers.

Why was he looking for nonhuman technology specifically? If he was looking for stuff that can give him superpowers well, technically, there's Earth-made stuff that can give them too (radiation exposure, FEV exposure, whatever's going on with the Cabots). Also if he was looking for 'the largest cache of nonhuman tech' how the heck did his ring miss not one but two zetan Motherships in Earth orbit? What did they have 'scry wards' carved on the hull?
The funny thing is, FEV works and is perfectly safe.

The problem with it was always the specific military strain of the virus that leads to super mutants in combination with radiation exposure.

Huh. I wonder why? That can't have been more efficient than just shooting them, or having machines do the work.
Who knows what kinds of restrictions Skynet v1 was operating under? Maybe it has a hard-coded restriction against killing prisoners, and thus has to intimidate other prisoners into doing the job for them?

Who knows what kinds of restrictions Skynet v1 was operating under? Maybe it has a hard-coded restriction against killing prisoners, and thus has to intimidate other prisoners into doing the job for them?
I think Skynet did a certain level of inefficiency because it hated humans. It made bipedal war forms that looked like metal skeletons. Having a machine death camp was both efficient in using human resources while still expending them.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Forced_Evolutionary_Virus

Short version? Artificial viral load that was supposed to adapt lifeforms to being immune to radiation - while that part works, when it's successful, the developers decided it would be a great idea (in typical Fallout fashion) to also make the recipients into the psychopathic general's perfect shock trooper - huge, stupid, and unreasonably strong. The anthropophagy may actually be an unintended side effect, but it's a damn common one.
Long version.

They created a virus that let them re-write a persons DNA, so there were a bunch of experiments done with it, one of which was military in nature, this specific strain of the virus was an attempt to create super soldiers that were super strong, super tough, ageless, and immune to both biological weapons and radiation.

It worked, perfectly.

Unfortunately there was the unintended side effect resulting from high radiation levels in the body prior to virus exposure causing a comparable loss of intelligence.

Which makes the whole thing super amusing because Paul with his ring could have used that strain to turn himself into Captain America 2.0.

Zoat aside from dating Hela what else did Paul help her with?

Did he help her in finding a new way to treat the dead?

Find her souls like paragon did for Hades?

Has the Avenger version met Marvel Hades, aka Pluto, he knows Thor and Thor knows Hercules, plus Hela and Pluto were on that villain team in the comics?

So you never said how you would handle OL Paul appearing over Future War era Terminator Earth. You have any ideas?
We don't know enough about the world. If he could work out what was going on with a single scan, taking control of Skynet would be relatively easy. So that, I guess.
Zoat aside from dating Hela what else did Paul help her with?

Did he help her in finding a new way to treat the dead?

Find her souls like paragon did for Hades?
It was about using her resources and motivating the dead to build something better.
Has the Avenger version met Marvel Hades, aka Pluto, he knows Thor and Thor knows Hercules, plus Hela and Pluto were on that villain team in the comics?
No.

I ask 40K Paul when? But given that setting, and the lack of a power battery, I don't think he'd live long.
A few weeks, I think. And it turns out that he can charge slowly from the warp.

Turning up in orbit around Earth Terra was interesting.

As is knowing how to break into the Emperor's throne room.

Last edited:
All these alt!Paul's suddenly have me wondering what a Paul in one of the Gundam timelines would do. Become a Newtype/Innovator? Get accidentally drafted to Zeon's cause before realizing that they're not just fascists, but chaotic stupid fascists at that? Subvert Blue Cosmos' goals? Stop the plot of AGE by preventing the war between Earth and Mars somehow? Open Laplace's Box early, causing who knows what kind of butterflies in the UC timeline?

So Zoat are we going to see a 40k version of the SI in a few weeks?

As is knowing how to break into the Emperor's throne room.

My knowledge of 40k might very well be lacking, but that seems like something even a power ring wouldn't be able to do, or at least struggle heavily with, especially for a newbie-SI who doesn't have more esoteric skills yet. (though maybe Maltusian tech is just completely superior to the pinnacle of Imperium tech that would guard the throne room, I don't know for sure).

I believe there's also an SI in the Warhammer Fantasy universe (something to do with Black Fleets). Is there also one in Age of Sigmar?

All these alt!Paul's suddenly have me wondering what a Paul in one of the Gundam timelines would do. Become a Newtype/Innovator? Get accidentally drafted to Zeon's cause before realizing that they're not just fascists, but chaotic stupid fascists at that? Subvert Blue Cosmos' goals? Stop the plot of AGE by preventing the war between Earth and Mars somehow? Open Laplace's Box early, causing who knows what kind of butterflies in the UC timeline?
I don't know enough about Gundam to comment. The only one I ever watched was Gundam SEED and the story didn't seem to make sense.
So Zoat are we going to see a 40k version of the SI in a few weeks?
A few weeks, I think.
My knowledge of 40k might very well be lacking, but that seems like something even a power ring wouldn't be able to do, or at least struggle heavily with, especially for a newbie-SI who doesn't have more esoteric skills yet. (though maybe Maltusian tech is just completely superior to the pinnacle of Imperium tech that would guard the throne room, I don't know for sure).
Turns out? It's actually reasonably easy. A excommunicated Inquisitor named Jaq Draco managed it with some digging equipment and a lot of patience. Basically, Terra has so many layers filled with dust underneath everything that you can get anywhere if you don't mind digging. The Emperor had to hide him when he actually got there, but he pierced the building on his own.
I believe there's also an SI in the Warhammer Fantasy universe
Yes.
(something to do with Black Fleets).
The what?
Is there also one in Age of Sigmar?
That's in the 'did not happen' bucket.

Quitting as fast as he can?
8e4b81c25409d4e56b0b45b161e1a46f.jpg

I don't know enough about Gundam to comment. The only one I ever watched was Gundam SEED and the story didn't seem to make sense.
Oof. Yeah, for all that some fans claim that it was a retelling of the original Mobile Suit Gundam... it really wasn't. Or at least not one that keeps the context. And when you add in the retcons, it starts to fall apart.

Most would recommend watching the original anime from 1979, and that it holds up against the test of time surprisingly well... The original UC timeline has the most content, and supposedly the most coherent timeline. This also means, however, that it has the most stuff you'd actually have to watch to fully understand the setting.

My recommendation, if you intend to actually get into it, is to pick one and stick with it. Each one has its own quirks- UC is the largest of the lot, and starts it all by being a deconstruction of the mecha genre, Mobile Fighter G Gundam is the most upbeat of them, with hot blooded mecha martial arts and over the top action being done specifically to change things up from Victory Gundam's really depressing ending (and also has a scene in the final episode the literally moves people to tears), Mobile Report Gundam Wing is... Actually really faithful to the franchise's themes, if you can get past the edgy protagonists being edgy before they have their character developments, Turn A is best left for last if you ever want to watch it, as it has one hell of a mindfuck at the end, you know how Gundam SEED turned out, and Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is a deconstruction of Mobile Suit Gundam as a franchise. Yes, it's a deconstruction of a deconstruction. We do not speak of Gundam AGE. And I have no opinion of Iron Blooded Orphans beyond really depressing.

Just keep in mind, that whichever one you want to watch, raving lunatics being in charge for no discernible reason beyond "charisma" and thinly veiled dick jokes are a staple of the franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back