• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Equestrian Guise (part 7)
Somewhere
over the rainbow

The three of us stare down from the stony ridgeline into the wide valley below. Actually, I'm not sure at what point a land formation stops being a valley and starts being a plain that just happens to have hills on either side. This was clearly carved out by the actions of the river: land worn away by the constant flow of water, then levelled by successive patterns of annual flooding. It would probably make for good farmland, but I can't see any of the patterns that I'd associate with ordered fields. On the other hand I can see plumes of smoke.

Lightning Dust flaps into the air, then half-closes her eyes.

"Wild weather. Not like the Everfree, but nopony's doing weather management."

I look up at her. "You know that's just pony obsessive compulsive disorder, right?"

She looks down. "Huh?"

"Most species don't bother regulating the weather. Outside of stopping tornados or the most powerful storms there isn't really much benefit to what Equestria does. Ponies just do it because they freak out if everything isn't just so."

Lightning Dust pulls a face at the insult, but after a moment she looks a little more contemplative.

"Huh. So what you're saying is, the ponies here would pay me whatever I want to fix their weather for them."

I smile. "You're pretty quick on the uptake. Of course, we don't know that there are any ponies-"

Sunset's horn glows for a moment, then a… Band of cyan races across the landscape.

"-here. Hm. Sunset, do we know if there are any ponies here?"

She nods. "Definitely ponies. And… I'm not sure… But I think this is Dream Valley."

"Was that a satnav spell?"

She rolls her eyes. "I tried studying ancient history to see if I could find anything about earth pony magic. I never found any maps, but there was a poem that was supposed to predate the Exodus and it had a.. poetic description of Dream Castle."

"And your spell found it?"

"I think we're standing on it." I look down and fail to see a castle. "What's left of it, anyway. The Exodus was at least twelve hundred years ago."

I frown. Now I look again there is a surprising degree of regularity in some of the stones around us. "A castle made of stone shouldn't completely collapse that quickly."

"It would if it went through an ice age. Or if it was frozen by windigos."

"Or if the locals pulled it down."

Sunset frowns. "Why would they do that?"

"Well, I'm only working off the oral history version here, but weren't earth ponies kind of the underclass? Exploited by the more martial pegasus ponies and unicorn ponies?"

"I always thought that was a dramatic oversimplification of…" She looks around. "Where'd Lightning Dust go?"

I look up and follow the turquoise and orange streak across the sky.

"That way."

"Buh-! Gkh?! Does she even speak Ancient Equish?"

"Probably not. Hang o-"

Sunset Shimmer glows cyan for a moment, then vanishes.

"-n." I spend a moment alone on the plateau. "Ring, scan for them."

"Subjects located."

And… Luna said that she and Celestia ascended post migration. That snapshot of her foalhood I saw strongly implied that they were born post-Exodus. And there weren't any older alicorns around, so.. it's possible that the local ponies haven't ever seen an alicorn before. They may well not know that they exist.

"Show me."

A construct image forms of… A tent settlement. It looks like they're either setting up or breaking camp. They have some large wagons pulled by.. other ponies, and some are laden with large logs. For trading, perhaps? Lightning Dust is flitting around, but none of them seem all that bothered by her. Then Sunset appears and that causes a few to back off rather sharply.

I should probably put in an appearance. Boom tube might be a bit loud, but I can't see…

Some of those ponies are armed.

Mother Box.

Ping.

Boom!

I trot through the portal as a couple of rough-looking types with crampon-horseshoes size her up. They're half a head taller than her, which means that if I stood over them then their ears might tickle my stomach. They lose interest in her as soon as the tube opens, and they adopt a noticeably more defensive posture when they see me.

"Mornin', lads."

"Hu 're yuh, jimmeh?"

Oh, by the Source, they're Scottish. Or.. rather, my rings have decided that their dialect is the equivalent of Glaswegian English. I could override it, but this way at least I can tell the difference between ponies who are speaking Modern Equish and the ponies speaking this dialect.

"Name's Grayven. My companions and I are new to these lands and we're having a bit of an explore. Might I ask your names?"

They both regard me cautiously for a moment, before the one with a dull green pelt decides that since I'm unlikely to be a fairy there's no harm in telling me his name.

"Hoof Stompah." He lifts up his right forehoof as if to demonstrate, then considers me and thinks better of it. He nods at Sunset. "What kinda gabbeh comin' oota har mouth?"

"That's not Ancient Equish." Sunset sounds a little disgruntled. "I don't know what language that is."

"She's speaking a form of Equish which I suspect is derived from the old unicorn dialect." Because the printing press was a unicorn invention and there's nothing like a printing press for enforcing linguistic consistency. Over a thousand years, a form of the language that was from a different dialect anyway could end up sounding very different. "Could you possibly tell us where are we?"

"Ware yeh tank?" Hoof Stomper looks around, and I notice that we're drawing a degree of curiosity. "Ponyland."

"Hey, Grayven." Lightning Dust lands next to me. "Ask them where the pegasi live. I wanna see if they've got cloud castles."

"Actually." Sunset looks around. "I don't see any unicorns, eith-. No, wait, there's one."

Hoof Stomper's friend steps aside as a senior-looking unicorn mare walks through the circle of rubberneckers. The two 'bruisers' adopt a deferential posture as she approaches, looking up at me.

"Yeh cam a wey, A'm thankin'."

About two fifths of the way around the planet, but only about a minute.

"Some way."

"A'll get a bru an. Yi'kin tell mah awol aboot at."

She turns and trots away, and Sunsets gives me an interrogative look.

"I think we're meant to follow her."

Last edited:
Are you? Ah. I don't think you are.
okay i have no clue what you are trying to say

if it about me not reading the chapter, if i see red i just close tab or maybe scroll down and make some comment about it

if it about the long wait for these arc to be over with, this ain't the first time you did one of these but it still annoying to see the red color since the Renegade stuff aren't what i came here for

Oh, by the Source, they're Scottish. Or.. rather, my rings have decided that their dialect is the equivalent of Glaswegian English. I could override it, but this way at least I can tell the difference between ponies who are speaking Modern Equish and the ponies speaking this dialect.

Mr Zoat, your British is showing.

It took me a looong time to figure this out. I do always enjoy the accents though.

Said bru wouldn't happen to be irn, would it?
No. Travelling earth pony tribes lack the infrastructure to produce Irn Bru.
okay i have no clue what you are trying to say

if it about me not reading the chapter, if i see red i just close tab or maybe scroll down and make some comment about it

if it about the long wait for these arc to be over with, this ain't the first time you did one of these but it still annoying to see the red color since the Renegade stuff aren't what i came here for
Let me just edit the post.

I remain befuddled that people continue to refuse to read the most fun parts of the fic.
ehhhh

i just don't like it

it a personal taste thing, doesn't matter if it fun or not, i just don't like Red-Orange Paul or what ever his name is

Let me just edit the post.
ah a 40K version this, interested to see how you deal with Grimderp of that universe

well, back to the 18th? reread of the Story Only Thread

i need to find some thing else to read, cause i feel like i about to memorize this entire fic or something

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere
over the rainbow

The three of us stare down from the stony ridgeline into the wide valley below. Actually, I'm not sure at what point a land formation stops being a valley and starts being a plain that just happens to have hills on either side. This was clearly carved out by the actions of the river: land worn away by the constant flow of water, then levelled by successive patterns of annual flooding. It would probably make for good farmland, but I can't see any of the patterns that I'd associate with ordered fields. On the other hand I can see plumes of smoke.
Ah, so not G1 Pony towns. What sign of G2, or Celestia Forbid, G3?:eek:

Lightning Dust flaps into the air, then half-closes her eyes.

"Wild weather. Not like the Everfree, but nopony's doing weather management."
That's assuming there's anyone to do it.
I look up at her. "You know that's just pony obsessive compulsive disorder, right?"

She looks down. "Huh?"

"Most species don't bother regulating the weather. Outside of stopping tornados or the most powerful storms there isn't really much benefit to what Equestria does. Ponies just do it because they freak out if everything isn't just so."
Honestly, that explains a lot about Equestria in general. Things like the Winter Wrap-up? Clearly letting things settle themselves is too untidy!

Lightning Dust pulls a face at the insult, but after a moment she looks a little more contemplative.

"Huh. So what you're saying is, the ponies here would pay me whatever I want to fix their weather for them."
Ah, eye on the cash prize, eh?

I smile. "You're pretty quick on the uptake. Of course, we don't know that there are any ponies-"

Sunset's horn glows for a moment, then a… Band of cyan races across the landscape.

"-here. Hm. Sunset, do we know if there are any ponies here?"
Heh, Grayven could have done that with less obvious signs. I guess he just didn't feel like it. And her way just told everyone around someone's there.

She nods. "Definitely ponies. And… I'm not sure… But I think this is Dream Valley."

"Was that a satnav spell?"
First rule of exploring, get an idea of the layout.

She rolls her eyes. "I tried studying ancient history to see if I could find anything about earth pony magic.. I never found any maps, but there was a poem that was supposed to predate the Exodus and it had a.. poetic description of Dream Castle."

"And your spell found it?"
Wonder if it's as pretty as the pictures showed...

"I think we're standing on it." I look down and fail to see a castle. "What's left of it, anyway. The Exodus was at least twelve hundred years ago."

I frown. Now I look again there is a surprising degree of regularity in some of the stones around us. "A castle made of stone shouldn't completely collapse that quickly."
Well, damn. And no, it shouldn't collapse that quickly... Not by itself, no.

"It would if it went through an ice age. Or if it was frozen by windigos."

"Or if the locals pulled it down."
Could be, depending on the local stone quality.

Sunset frowns. "Why would they do that?"

"Well, I'm only working off the oral history version here, but weren't earth ponies kind of the underclass? Exploited by the more martial pegasus ponies and unicorn ponies?"
Huh. That's an interesting way of looking at it. Haven't seen the episode, so I have to wonder...

"I always thought that was a dramatic oversimplification of…" She looks around. "Where'd Lighting Dust go?"
Oh, for... You take your eyes off them for one second!

I look up and follow the turquoise and orange streak across the sky.

"That way."

"Buh-! Gkh?! Does she even speak Ancient Equish?"
You assume they'll speak it either? Linguistic drift, yo.

"Probably not. Hang o-"

Sunset Shimmer glows cyan for a moment, then vanishes.
Huh, she got the teleport spell down already?

"-n." I spend a moment alone on the plateau. "Ring, scan for them."

"Subjects located."

And… Luna said that she and Celestia ascended post migration. That snapshot of her foalhood I saw strongly implied that they were born post-Exodus. And there weren't any older alicorns around, so.. it's possible that the local ponies haven't ever seen an alicorn before. The may well not know that they exist.
Or mistake them for some kind of shapeshifting monster...

"Show me."

A construct image forms of… A tent settlement. It looks like they're either setting up or breaking camp. They have some large wagons pulls by.. other ponies, and some are laden with large logs. For trading, perhaps? Lightning Dust is flitting around, but none of them seem all that bothered by her. The Sunset appears and that causes a few to back off rather sharply.
Not even five minutes and they're already barrel-deep in it...

I should probably put in an appearance. Boom tube might be a bit loud, but I can't see…

Some of those ponies are armed.
Right, objections withdrawn. Big show of scary time.

I trot through the portal as a couple of rough-looking types with crampon-horseshoes size her up. They're half a head taller than her, which means that if I stood over them then their ears might tickle my stomach. They lose interest in her as soon as the tube opens, and they adopt a noticeably more defensive posture when they see me.

"Mornin', lads."
Heh, that's a fine sight. Giant pony-shaped monster walks out of a hole in space... and gives you a pleasant greeting.

"Hu 're yuh, jimmeh?"

Funetik aksents away! Oh, this will be fun.

"Name's Grayven. My companions and I are new to these lands and we're having a bit of an explore. Might I ask your names?"

They both regard me cautiously for a moment, before the one with a dull green pelt decides that since I'm unlikely to be a fairy there's no harm in telling me his name.
Smart lads. Even then, I'd give a pseudonym. Mr. Overdale or the like.

"Hoof Stompah." He lifts up his right forehoof as if to demonstrate, then considers me and thinks better of it. He nods at Sunset. "What kinda gabbeh comin' oota har mouth?"

"That's not Ancient Equish." Sunset sounds a little disgruntled. "I don't know what language that is."
Time for a quick ring-translation field extension, Grayven.

"She's speaking a form of Equish which I suspect is derived from the old unicorn dialect." Because the printing press was a unicorn invention and there's nothing like a printing press for enforcing linguistic consistency. Over a thousand years, a form of the language that was from a different dialect anyway could end up sounding very different. "Could you possibly tell us where are we?"

"Ware yeh tank?" Hoof Stomper looks around, and I notice that we're drawing a degree of curiosity. "Ponyland."
Ah, that marvellous Pony way of naming things...

"Hey, Grayven." Lightning Dust lands next to me. "Ask them where the pegasi live. I wanna see if they've got cloud castles."

"Actually." Sunset looks around. "I don't see any unicorns, eith-. No, wait, there's one."
Ah... The party magician, or its team leader. Hopefully not a slavemaster...

Hoof Stomper's friend steps aside as a senior-looking unicorn mare walks through the circle of rubberneckers. The two 'bruisers' adopt a deferential posture as she approaches, looking up at me.

"Aye, ye culd say tha', missus."

About two fifths of the way around the planet, but only about a minute.

"Some way."
Ah, understatement, Grayven is thy name.

She turns and trots away, and Sunsets gives me an interrogative look.

"I think we're meant to follow her."
Well, nothing like a cup of tea to settle down arguments. I wonder how well Garyven will deal with it...

Well, the alarm level is still at "Just Fine." With any luck it'll stay that low... Though I foresee trouble if Sunset is her usual charming self. never mind Lightning dust...

The may well not know that they exist.
They may well not know that they exist.

Is the accent thing here to stay? Because I don't think that translates very well written down.
Having known some Glaswegians, I think Zoat's got the sounds right. But I can understand your problem; Glaswegian can be quite difficult to understand at first.

Would a translation help?

Rough translation for anyone who needs it:
"Hu 're yuh, jimmeh?"
Who are you, mate?
Hoof Stomper.
"What kinda gabbeh comin' oota har mouth?"
What kind of babble is coming out of her mouth."
Where do you think?
You've come a long way, I'm thinking.
I'll put the kettle on. You can tell me all about it.

I think this is the only time the ring chose to do an accent instead of translating directly into English. Heck, it would probably remove the actual Scottish accent and turn it into English. Unless Grayven is intimately familiar with the Scottish dialect for some reason?

I think this is the only time the ring chose to do an accent instead of translating directly into English. Heck, it would probably remove the actual Scottish accent and turn it into English. Unless Grayven is intimately familiar with the Scottish dialect for some reason?
Paul is British, all British are intimately familiar with Scottish accents.

.... The accent they are using is so strong I literally can't understand in the slightest what they are saying. They might as well be speaking Sanskrit and I would have the same level of understanding. It really detracts from the chapter.
Here's someone who did a translation:

Rough translation for anyone who needs it:

Who are you, mate?

Hoof Stomper.

What kind of babble is coming out of her mouth."

Where do you think?

You've come a long way, I'm thinking.

I'll put the kettle on. You can tell me all about it.

It's probably Sinestro ring trolling him.

Muahaha, I will mildly inconvenience and amuse him! I'm so delicously evil!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back