• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Wonder how he got enlightenment?

Zoat I think you once said that the SI no longer has orange text because of his enlightenment, unless he is using the Honden, so is yellow enlightenment diffrent to allow this version to still have yellow text, or is this the fear of his subjects and not his own fear or projection of fear?

Well that's interesting. I'm assuming you stole the sword from rat dude but I find it funnier if you stole it from mumm-ras hands so that's my head cannon. This is going to get very messy very fast if only because Fear Paul is nowhere near as nice as orange Paul.

'I TRADED SLAVES' not 'I TRAIDED SLAVES'

Depends on who made the sign.

Anyways, this is dicey.

Even ignoring the threat of Tigra and Panthro being out there, or the fact that killing Lion-o and looting his gubs would increase the speed at which Mumm-ra turns his attention to the village, I don't think Yaul has jurisdiction here. Yes a case could be made for Lion-O abandoning his post or whatever the official wording for that is, but Yaul doesn't derive his authority from any connection to the previous government. Any crimes committed by Lion-O during or immediately after Mumm-Ra's attack aren't really crimes Yaul has any right to punish. Now if they've been harassing his citizens when they go out to work, run messages, or ply their trades then there might be some punishment that needs to be handed down.

Then you have to factor in the presence of the artifacts in his possession and how they change Mumm-ra's equations.

What little I know of Thundercats is limited to a few things about the 2011 reboot, and they give me the distinct impression that Lion-O knows how to handle himself in a fight, but is poorly suited to be a ruler. From the sound of things he's probably done some pretty dumb shit that's gonna get him an earful from Paul.

Zoat I think you once said that the SI no longer has orange text because of his enlightenment, unless he is using the Honden, so is yellow enlightenment diffrent to allow this version to still have yellow text, or is this the fear of his subjects and not his own fear or projection of fear?
Fear and Hope is a bit weird since they have external and internal part for their light

cause understanding other people fear seem kinda weird for Fear Enlightenment

so it must be internal acceptance of his fear, probably after a massive freak out like how Orange boy got his quotation

What little I know of Thundercats is limited to a few things about the 2011 reboot, and they give me the distinct impression that Lion-O knows how to handle himself in a fight, but is poorly suited to be a ruler. From the sound of things he's probably done some pretty dumb shit that's gonna get him an earful from Paul.

To be fair he's a bit young so it's not surprising that he's not fit to be a ruler yet. He's a bit of a shit till he gets panthra to straighten him out.

Hm, yeah if a person that didn't know how to write correctly wrote I TRAIDED SLAVES then it makes sense.

I thought Yaul, or whatever he's called here, was the slave trader and was stating his sins and actions, though yeah putting a sign on someone who was executed makes sense

If you mean the "I stole/enslaved/murdered/etc" text bits, I think those are just signs hung around/by the corpse of each infractor, and the color being what the sign causes in anyone even considering doing the mentioned crime. Otherwise, nothing Lord Paultector says itself yellow, just the quote marks.

When he speaks he doesn't have yellow text, but when he thinks he does.

I don't think the paragon has had any orange thought text, unless using the Honden, ever since becoming enlightened.

This could mean that it is a diffrent type of enlightenment, or that it is the fear of his populace.

If you mean the "I stole/enslaved/murdered/etc" text bits, I think those are just signs hung around/by the corpse of each infractor, and the color being what the sign causes in anyone even considering doing the mentioned crime. Otherwise, nothing Lord Paultector says itself yellow, just the quote marks.
Thank you for that. For a moment I thought this Paul had committed an atrocity

Day 297
Mid morning

In my late teens, I spent about six months' worth of Saturdays working on a local farm. I wasn't much good at it and I didn't like it at all. Now, looking around the farm lands which will keep the people of Thundera from starving this winter, I'm…
The 2011 series, if anyone's wondering. Dang. I'd have enjoyed seeing the reaction to the corniness of the 80's series.

Okay. Pride is in the mix, but I can't honestly say I did a whole lot of physical farm work myself. Fortunately neither the rats nor the low-caste cats who make up most of the local population have any aversion to manual labour. Between the lizard clans and Mumm-Ra's followers all of the food reserves which the fallen nation had put aside were taken or destroyed. But I organised this, kept disparate and mutually antagonistic people focused and working. And now most of them will survive.
I'd make a crack about herding cats, but really, this Paul knows exactly how hard that is.

Those whom I didn't have to kill in order to make this happen, at least.

Even as I think it, my eyes drift towards the gibbet in the centre of town, and its desiccated inhabitant with the 'I STOLE FOOD' sign around his neck. Most people don't even look at it now, which is the way I prefer it. A few do glance my way… Hm. They don't back away or.. attempt to shield their children. I look for a moment at the ring on my right middle finger as I contemplate the matter. They know what I've done for them, the farmlands I've organised, the order I've brought… The very basics of civilisation. But they don't love me, nor shall they.
Harsh, but ironically in line with Sinestro's logic. If people won't behave themselves, if they think with their own wants instead of their community's needs and refuse to reform... Then they don't get to be part of that community anymore...

Nor should they.

'I TRAIDED SLAVES'
And Exile would not be enough for some people...

"Ah, my lord?"

Most of them don't love me. I suppose if you save a mother's children from starvation and make her your de facto number two, you shouldn't be surprised if she becomes somewhat attached to you.
Oh, that's going to get the Twins on your side pretty damn instantly...

I smile at her as she approaches, note pad in hand. "Khoah, what news?"

'I WAS A MURDERER'

"The fourth tilling machine is back in operation."
Ah, the lifeblood of a farming community: the tools needed to work.

I nod again. Third Earth has all manner of technology, but for whatever reason the various species often aren't anything like as sophisticated as it is. Presumably, that's because it was never in Mumm-Ra's interest to tell his slaves how any of it worked. As a result, when they finally broke free there.. just weren't enough people who knew enough for them to sustain the level of civilisation they were used to. Just.. digging around their ruins enabled me to get enough data to construct simple tractors. An offer of sanctuary to one of the few races who know anything useful about engineering got me power generation. Of course, I still had to teach a bunch of superstitious peasants how to use any of it…
Fascinating. A species of synthetic life-form? I can believe they'd be the most advanced culture remaining... And they're cute as hell.

"That's good to hear. I was concerned that we might not be able to manufacture the parts we need. What does that do for our production in the next growing season?"

"Assuming a reasonable growing year, we should have a moderate surplus. And it will allow us to extend the roads to the last of the farms." I nod again. It still strikes me as strange, how little infrastructure even a relatively advanced place like Thundera had. The city itself was solid stone, mined from local quarries. But the surrounding area… "We might be able to make it as far as the City, depending on when the rains come."
Slowly restoring and expanding civilisation. How... Paul of him.

"Not Mount Plun-darr?"

"Not without a lot more resources, and…" Her eyes drift unavoidably to the sword at my side, and stone in its guard. With them, a hour's meditation on fear causes the ring to recover about two percent of its maximum charge In practice, that means that I can't risk a long range scavenger hunt more than once a month or so. "The cats don't want to go back there."
And Paul... 'Yaul' can't spare the charge to raid it, eh? A thorn in his side that he can't just pluck out...

Because that's where most of the slaves taken by the lizards were sold, and where many of their fellows were worked to death. Foolish superstition again. "Oh, I think seeing the rats and lizards benefit from central heating next winter will change their minds quickly enough." But it's going to be a problem. Thundrillium isn't anything like as high a priority as stone or wood or iron, to say nothing of food, but we're going to need it before Mumm-Ra sends any serious force in our direction. There just isn't enough wood around here-.
The local forests having long since been cleared for farmland...

I hear the dull hum of one of the anti-gravity vehicles we look from Mumm-Ra's forces. Ring? Ah, it seems that my third in command is heading back from patrol, with a few guests. Given that the guests have manacles around their wrists and ankles and bags over their heads, I'm going to assume that the encounter was hostile.

Khoah's ears twitch. "She's back early."
Heh. At least we know this isn't Mumm-Ra in disguise...

What happens next depends on exactly what they did. If they're just desperate refugees who turned to banditry to avoid starvation, they get a tattoo and a period of punishment duty. If they're career bandits or slavers, I will publically execute them. Pumyra will be taking them to the plaza in front of my manor. Pumyra understands the utility of fear rather well, and is quite supportive of my judicial theatre.

"Yes." I offer her my right hand. "Shall we?"
Again, a necessary evil for a harsh world. I can just imagine how Yaul found his way to Fear Enlightenment...

"Um." While she's not afraid of violence, Khoah has never gotten used to the sort of extreme I'm prepared to go to when dolling out punishment. In a survival situation like this, the purpose of the punishment for the first offence isn't just to prevent a second offence in the one being punished, but in all of those watching as well. "Of.. course, my lord."
Awkward. It still has to be done, of course. Not everyone is as loyal as these two...

I nod, and extend the ring's flight aura around us to lift us both into the sky. "How are your children getting on with their new teacher?"

She shakes off whatever disquiet she's feeling, smiling at the thought of them.
Good move, make her shed that Fear.

"They're very fond of him. Every day when they come home they can't stop talking about all of the fascinating things they've learned."

Her older two.. left home shortly after the death of their father. Some of the refugees from the city mentioned seeing kittens matching their description, but… Realistically, those could have been anyone. The remaining two were left fairly withdrawn, but one of the few advantages of the current crisis is that they're regularly in contact with other children their age. And they're young enough that they'll grow up surrounded by technology and consider it normal.
And children are resilient. It'll never leave them, but they will forget it more and more, until it only flickers forth in their worst nightmares. But they'll always be nervous about storms...

A small crowd has gathered as we come in to land on the small stage on the manor side of the plaza. My official residence, and the seat of my 'government'. I'll probably end up abandoning it in a few years so that I can set up a capital somewhere more central, more defensible. But for now the wood and stone building is perfectly serviceable. We land, and I sit in a heavy wooden chair in the centre while Khoah stands next to me just as the grav-floater swings into the plaza. Pumyra and two other soldiers with four prisoners; one adult male, one adult female and two children. A family, perhaps? Probably best to leave the children's bags on if she intends for me to-.
Well, time for the dark side of leadership: Discipline.

"Ho, Lord Protector! I think today's my lucky day!"

"Pumyra!" The grav-floater drifts to a halt in front of the stage, the rat at the controls clearly enjoying her role. "What do you have for me today?"
Oh, if she's happy, this is something nasty, I suspect...

She's grinning as she steps back from the crew station towards the adult male, shoving him forward. Odd. Pumyra isn't really the grinning sort. Ever since I dug her out from under the rubble during the flight from the capital, she's been a veritable font of bile and barely controlled rage. "The person I hate most on all of Third Earth." She rips off the bag, and… Ah.

Lion-O blinks in the light for a moment, before focusing his attention fully on me. He's.. younger than the version I grew up watching… Physically, anyway. His hair… Should that be 'mane'? Is a good deal shorter and is at least paying lip service to the laws of physics.
Ah, the callow youth, who never expected to be thrust into leadership so soon... Still full of Compassion, and only just learning of how harsh the real world is...

"Lion-O."

"King Lion-O."
King of what kingdom, boy? Didn't your kingdom get overthrown and cast down by the villains?

"King?" I look around the crowd. The lizards look decidedly unsettled, but it's the cats I'm most concerned about. The last thing I need is any doubt about who is in charge. "You abandoned your people in favour of chasing after Mumm-Ra. You left them as slaves, or starving in the wilderness. You are the last person with any right to claim authority here." He grits his teeth and tests the chains as I visually dismiss him. "Pumyra, who are the others?"
Good on you, Yaul. The boy has a lot to learn, and I think you might just end up teaching him a few things...

She nods, and her dog soldier pulls the bag off the adult woman. I assume that's the continuity's Cheetara. She's some sort of warrior-priestess here, though I don't know the details. And quite possibly the last living member of her sect. If there's any way to get her to stay on as a teacher it would be worth pursuing… But I doubt it would work. Unlike Lion-O she isn't looking at my face, but she is trying hard not to stare at the energy stone in my sword.
And I get the feeling she doesn't really have the temperament for a cloistered priestess. She's a paladin, through and through. Right down to a slight case of 'black-and-white' vision.

Khoah gasps is shock as the bags are pulled from heads of the children, and she's dashing forwards even as the surprised whisper of 'Mama?' reaches my ears. WilyKit and WilyKat. Normally I'd be delighted, but right now the issue requires seriousness.

"Pumyra, release the kittens into the care of their mother, and bring the other two inside." I stand and turn away, letting my yellow-sigiled cape swirl about me. "We can decide what to do with them at our leisure."
And hope the rest of their group don't try to make some ill-advised rescue mission. Because you know they'll do just that. This Tygra is just as hot-headed as Lion-O...

Not the position I expected him to be in, but inserted-Pauls generally tend to focus on improving lives. It's just that some get a better starting point than others...

He is feared, but probably not that hated by his subjects, aside from those criminals he put to work of course.

None of the Pauls really strike me as ones that would commit atrocities, even Raul and Baul, one was a bit of a jerkass, but otherwise alright, the other was a poor bastard that is trying to make the best of a bad situation.
Excluding the fact that Raul committed genocide as a present for Kom when he killed the Citadelians, as well as paragon and renegade who also killed them, but n all three cases the ones they genocided were pure evil.

Though i wonder how his enlightenment has altered his thinking?
It is possible that he is now naturally predisposed to trying to intimidate to get his way and his enlightenment may be encouraging it.
Zoat said that one of the reasons paragon wasn't more willing to engage in negotiations with Nabu was because he thought Nabu had everything he wanted, a powerful host.
While an ordinary person would know this wasn't right, Paul would find it difficult to comprehend because of his enlightenment.

Zoat was the person who was killed for stealing food taking it from some defenseless person, because if this version can be merciful for minor crimes then I doubt he would kill someone for something that small?
If the person stole food from children, elderly or sick people then he could have killed him

'I TRADED SLAVES' not 'I TRAIDED SLAVES'
Thank you, corrected.
Find out tomorrow!
It's due to how yellow constructs are enhanced by other people's emotion as well as his.
Well that's interesting. I'm assuming you stole the sword from rat dude but I find it funnier if you stole it from mumm-ras hands so that's my head cannon. This is going to get very messy very fast if only because Fear Paul is nowhere near as nice as orange Paul.
Stole? No, he killed the rat king and took his stuff.
Anyways, this is dicey.

Even ignoring the threat of Tigra and Panthro being out there, or the fact that killing Lion-o and looting his gubs would increase the speed at which Mumm-ra turns his attention to the village, I don't think Yaul has jurisdiction here. Yes a case could be made for Lion-O abandoning his post or whatever the official wording for that is, but Yaul doesn't derive his authority from any connection to the previous government. Any crimes committed by Lion-O during or immediately after Mumm-Ra's attack aren't really crimes Yaul has any right to punish. Now if they've been harassing his citizens when they go out to work, run messages, or ply their trades then there might be some punishment that needs to be handed down.

Then you have to factor in the presence of the artifacts in his possession and how they change Mumm-ra's equations.
Oh, Mumm-Ra would want the sword back, but if the SI made it clear that he wanted a lieutenant position Mumm-Ra would probably go for it.
Honestly? He's okay, not great.

The thing is, Yaul may actually kill them.

Fear is the source of his power and going by the yellow texts, that includes fear of himself.

Missing punctuation; probably a period, given the capitalized "In".
look --> took?
Thank you, corrected.
Zoat was the person who was killed for stealing food taking it from some defenseless person, because if this version can be merciful for minor crimes then I doubt he would kill someone for something that small?
If the person stole food from children, elderly or sick people then he could have killed him
They stole food from the collective warehouse during a time of near-starvation and strict rationing. Stealing from the strong would be worse than stealing from the weak, as the strong are the ones doing the 18 hour shifts in the fields that are needed to make sure that everyone survives the year.

The thing is, Yaul may actually kill them.

Fear is the source of his power and going by the yellow texts, that includes fear of himself.
I dont think he will kill him because thats a bit over the top, maybe extreme public humiliation like shaving + a tattoo on his forehead that says coward with the promise that he will be healed if he "proves himself".

To be fair he's a bit young so it's not surprising that he's not fit to be a ruler yet. He's a bit of a shit till he gets panthra to straighten him out.

Here's the thing, 2011 Lion-O would never be a good king. He's exactly the wrong person for the job. He's decent for leading a co-allition, or a rebellion, or a coup. Which is good, because that's what he needs to do after Mumm-ra fucks everything up.

But he'd probably have been happier as one of the warrior monks or even a court magician. He should have been apprenticed to some sort of scholar, I think he'd be genuinely a better archeologist or explorer than King.

See 2011 Lion-O some how managed to not pick up a single inkling of how politics works, nor how to pick up on people's intents.

Frankly he's kind the perfect example of why sometimes the adopted kid should get the throne, and the blood child should be shuffled into a place where they can pursue their actual areas of competence.

Last edited:
The question is, has Panthro turned up in the Thunder Tank yet?

Because with limited ring charge, that thing might actually pose something of a threat, considering it one-shots Lizard BattleMechs.

Her eyes drift unavoidably to the sword at my side, and stone in its guard.
The second link just goes to the Power Stones page for me. But lately image links on Wikia/Fandom don't work for me, even if I click them on the actual page and have adblock turned off. I even tried it in Firefox (same result) and Waterfox (worked properly). It just redirects to the "main" page instead of the image page.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Canis is assuming that the SI is mind controlling him.
Will Canis ever mention this? I'd like for Paul to double take on this if Canis ever does.

I'm wondering if he has a level of self-loathing about what he did, no matter how justified. Also, I'd like for Lord Protector to admit to Lion-O behind closed doors that he isn't the greatest leader just the best one these people could get.

Ever since I dug her out from under the rubble during the flight from the capital, she's been a veritable font of bile and barely controlled rage
Sure hope Lord Protector can help her get over her seething rage at Lion-O. Or at least help her understand that some things are more important than indulging in her revenge fantasies if the two groups ever have to team up.

"You abandoned your people in favour of chasing after Mumm-Ra. You left them as slaves, or starving in the wilderness. You are the last person with any right to claim authority here."
Fair point. I hope Lord Protector can act as a pragmatic adviser for Lion-O that the young cat can trust.

What's wrong with the link?

Oh, Mumm-Ra would want the sword back, but if the SI made it clear that he wanted a lieutenant position Mumm-Ra would probably go for it.
I really hope Lord Protector won't actually seriously consider working for Mumm-Ra. This is the guy willing to kill solar systems for his goal; someone that you should never, in any circumstance, trust in.

Also, is Lord Protector just his title, or is that literally the name he's going by?

He is feared, but probably not that hated by his subjects, aside from those criminals he put to work of course.

None of the Pauls really strike me as ones that would commit atrocities, even Raul and Baul, one was a bit of a jerkass, but otherwise alright, the other was a poor bastard that is trying to make the best of a bad situation.
Excluding the fact that Raul committed genocide as a present for Kom when he killed the Citadelians, as well as paragon and renegade who also killed them, but n all three cases the ones they genocided were pure evil.
I don't believe that's a good metric to use, all genocides ever committed were against people who were 'pure evil' from the perspective of those committing it anyway...

Fair point Dat_Noob, but in this case if the one you genocided was full of people who liked to torture, rape, pillage and murder and had no redeeming qualities whatsoever, then genocide sounds like a good solution.
Even the Vikings liked to explore.

Fair point Dat_Noob, but in this case if the one you genocided was full of people who liked to torture, rape, pillage and murder and had no redeeming qualities whatsoever, then genocide sounds like a good solution.
Even the Vikings liked to explore.
Danes liked to explore. 'Viking' pretty much literally means 'brigand', as in 'to go viking' means 'to go pillaging, raping and burning'.

How does this SI look? Did he turn himself into a buff teenager? Or maybe make himself look like the natives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back