• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

No, Alan's ring is not artificially nerfed. It's damaged, but it hasn't lost any functions as a result of the green-to-blue conversion.

It's no longer damaged and it has AI support so he isn't limited in anyway, arguably he has more freedom than green ring users.

Kalmin designed the blue lantern to repair the ring and continue the leaking of glow energy (now on purpose) to continue Alan ascend to incarnated elemental.

The fact they have been so good at what they do, paragon getting villains to do better things with their talents and renegade destroying criminal organizations, especially in comparison to other superheroes would make them hesitate to change and potentially adopt what they could see at best as being pointless behaviors and at worst actively harmful ones.

Getting the power of gods flowing through them can also count on why they may have changed so much.
OL being basically inhuman in certain times and renegade potentially being an asshole because his domain of conquest may have somehow, if not at least made him one, reinforced his assholery like how having the heart of the Ophidian changed OL.

People don't enjoy Grayven because he's an arrogant jerk, people enjoy Grayven for his sheer dynamism and the fact that he is on every level so much more outwardly energetic than the Paragon. Yes, a certain percentage of that time is inevitably spent watching him sail himself directly into the next catastrophe as hard as possible. Some people even enjoy him for the way he manages to constantly, as he already has in this sequence, to troll both everyone around him and himself.

The man is a walking petard factory that still manages to get shit done. It's almost like Zoat is channeling the American stereotype version of himself and the contrast with Original Edition is delicious.

You know, I preferred Grayven to Paragon, but I wasn't able to figure out why. I think you just did.

I thought he got a blue lantern made and recharging his ring off of it changed its alignment. Am I remembering wrong?

The SI had Orange Lantern Weaponeer Kalmin build a Blue Lantern for Alan.

The Lantern fixed, upgraded, and then turned Alan's drained Green Power Ring to a Blue Power Ring.

Ninja'd by Coda:

No, you are correct.

Yeah, you're right, I totally derped that up. Alan's still OP as heck, best Space Grandpa, plz no nerf.

HI! I've been off the bandwagon for a few years? Is there any up to date epubs of the story? Thank you in advanced!

Equestrian Girls (part 16)
A race of virtue
against monstrosity

I dismissed the dream-image of my bipedal form so that my newly-palliated succupire children can cuddle up to my pony form instead. Oh, this was a good day.

"We do not understand. You put these.. young creatures in cages, and they embrace you."

"They're hybrids of two predatory species. The first subsists purely on human blood. The second feeds.. in a variety of ways, but mostly on the souls of their victims. These children were trapped on an island with nothing to feed on but each other." Luna looks increasingly perturbed. "Whenever one started puberty their starving younger siblings would devour them. I recovered the survivors and put them in cages so that they wouldn't be driven to either eat each other or anyone else. I left them in there until I learned enough about how they worked to create a potion to suppress their instincts, and then I enabled-"

There's a flash of purple as I gain a purple jewel from whatever mad process regulates Equestrian harmony magic.

"-them to live as normal children."

I press my muzzle into dream-Bethany's hair and snort, eliciting a dream-laugh. Then I stand, their images fading away.

"Why?"

"What do you mean, 'why'? Because I could. Because I had the resources. Because things like that shouldn't happen to anyone and I could fix it. As much as it could be fixed. Okay, loyalty next."

What's the best example of loyalty..? Actually, when.. have I acted against my own interests due to a freely accepted obligation? I generally try to arrange things so that I don't encounter that sort of conflict. Giving Talia to Batman? No, that was more because I didn't want to start a fight with him…

Ah.

I march down the corridor with Luna on my tail -metaphorically- and step out through the door into the gazebo of the Alan Scott Memorial Garden. As it will be once all of the plants have reached full size.

Luna spots the main statue even as I allow my memories of the visitors to cause the phantasms of playing children and sombre mourners to flicker in and out of being.

"Who was he?"

"One of my instructors. Good man, but… We didn't have much in common, and he was very old when we first met. I tried to secure the materials he needed to extend his life further, but regrettably I was a little late in returning. And to do that-"

A red jewel appears on my barding.

"-I had to confront the one who gave me the Anti-Life fragment."

"And defeat him?"

"And ask nicely."

I look back and the statue has changed to one of Darkseid.

"Darkseid. The Apokoliptian New God of Tyranny. He terrifies me." I concentrate and Alan's statue returns. "Kindness, laughter, generosity and loyalty."

"Honesty is next."

Yes, it… Is, isn't it?

"How about you take a turn?"

"You have but two to go. You can-."

"And you've got six to go and I don't need your help to be honest!"

"It's true! He doesn't! He said so-"

A mauve mare with cauliflower ears prances through the ghost-crowd, a snake-tongue flicking between her lips.

"-himself, so it must be true!"

I brace for an attack, while Luna merely blinks and then nods.

"We suppose that it is not in his interests to lie."

I reach up with my right forehoof and shove her in the left shoulder.

"Luna, I was obviously lying. I don't know what these things are, but they're affecting the way you think."

She shudders for a moment, focusing her mind and incidentally picking up her green sigil at the same time.

"We demand that you tell Us who you are!"

"Yelling Fool!"

Hah!

Luna scowls. "You will regret insulting Us, oh baleful fragment of malediction!"

"I will?! Okay!"

"No, Luna, I think that's her name. And she's a distraction."

"I thought I was a pony! Can I be both?!"

"Luna, pick-."

The ground -and Yelling Fool- drops away and the gazebo morphs into a chariot. Day turns to night as we descend through the sky and land in Ponyville.

"Nightmare Night." Fragments of the events of that evening flash before our eyes. "The first day 'pon which We dared to believe that We might one day walk amongst Our subjects without engendering fear or contempt. Except intentionally."

There's a brief blue flash on her peytral as the blue sigil appears, and we watch her phantasmal self getting seen off by the Ponyville crowd.

"This leaves love, compassion, avarice and hatred, doth it not?"

"Hate and anger." I frown. "Do these Anti-Life inspired pony phantasms mean anything to you, or are they just trying to get you to reject the Elements?"

"We are uncertain. But We doubt that it changes Our approach." She flicks her mane and flaps her wings, rising into the air and flying towards… Whitetail Woods. The non-monster-infested woodland abutting Ponyville. "We will attempt love next."

I flap after her. "I've got plans tomorrow evening, but after-."

"Thy tiresome lechery amuses Us not."

"Not even a little? I got my laughter badge."

"For laughing at a child when he resisted your threats."

"No, that wasn't it. I put a fair bit of effort into acquiring those weapons, took some risks… And I didn't get them because of something I didn't even take into consideration. The joke was on me."

She glances back over her shoulder for a moment before coming in to land. A small clearing and a small… Fort? Fortified house? I see a grey unicorn with a blue cloak and pointed wizard-hat. Both are decorated with stars and bells. Starswirl the Bearded, then.

"And why would you lie?"

"To encourage you to see things a particular way. To see me in a particular way. But in this case it's actually true. Heck, you can ask Richard about it once-"

The Starswirl phantasm glances back at the door as two fillies… Oh, that's what they looked like when they were younger. Young Celestia and Luna trot out and nuzzle him before dashing off into the woods. There's a small violet flare as Luna gets the violet sigil.

"-we're.. done here. Starswirl?"

"We were being taught how to use the strongest magics in ponydom, that we might fight and overcome Discord, and secure this land for all harmony-loving creatures. It was needful, but he was not blind to the fact that we were boisterous fillies. We felt much love in this house."

She shakes her head.

"Now, compassion."

Last edited:
A race of virtue
against monstrosity

I dismissed the dream-image of my bipedal form so that my newly-palliated succupire children can cuddle up to my pony form instead. Oh, this was a good day.
Man, imagine if he brought the kiddies here. The girls would be in heaven!

"We do not understand. You put these.. young creatures in cages, and they embrace you."

"They're hybrids of two predatory species. The first subsists purely on human blood. The second feeds.. in a variety of ways, but mostly on the souls of their victims. These children were trapped on an island with nothing to feed on but each other." Luna looks increasingly perturbed. "Whenever one started puberty their starving younger siblings would devour them. I recovered the survivors and put them in cages so that they wouldn't be driven to either eat each other or anyone else. I left them in there until I learned enough about how they worked to create a potion to suppress their instincts, and then I enabled-"
It sounds terrible, but it really was for their own good.

There's a flash of purple as I gain a purple jewel from whatever mad process regulates Equestrian harmony magic.

"-them to live as normal children."

I press my muzzle into dream-Bethany's hair and snort, eliciting a dream-laugh. Then I stand, their images fading away.
Taking a moment to strengthen himself with Love, eh?

"Why?"

"What do you mean, 'why'? Because I could. Because I had the resources. Because things like that shouldn't happen to anyone and I could fix it. As much as it could be fixed. Okay, loyalty next."
Because whatever his motivation, he wants to fix things, make them better for everyone.

What's the best example of loyalty..? Actually, when.. have I acted against my own interests due to a freely accepted obligation? I generally try to arrange things so that I don't encounter that sort of conflict. Giving Talia to Batman? No, that was more because I didn't want to start a fight with him…

Ah.
Bit hard for the New God of 'Conquest' to be loyal to anything but himself, isn't it? Loyalty to his vassals isn't the same as suborning himself to something greater... But...

I march down the corridor with Luna on my tail -metaphorically- and step out through the door into the gazebo of the Alan Scott Memorial Garden. As it will be once all of the plants have reached full size.

Luna spots the main statue even as I allow my memories of the visitors to cause the phantasms of playing children and sombre mourners to flicker in and out of being.
Good to see he hasn't abandoned Alan's memory, despite his failure to save him.

"Who was he?"

"One of my instructors. Good man, but… We didn't have much in common, and he was very old when we first met. I tried to secure the materials he needed to extend his life further, but regrettably I was a little late in returning. And to do that-"

A red jewel appears on my barding.
...Loyalty does come in more forms than simple vassalhood, after all.

"-I had to confront the one who gave me the Anti-Life fragment."

"And defeat him?"
No, not in His place of power, with an entire world willing to die for Him.

"And ask nicely."

I look back and the statue has changed to one of Darkseid.

"Darkseid. The Apokoliptian New God of Tyranny. He terrifies me." I concentrate and Alan's statue returns. "Kindness, laughter, generosity and loyalty."
And a good way for Luna to see the danger of Darkseid for herself. I wonder what she thinks of him? Some strange Troll or Ogre, seeking power for its own sake?

"Honesty is next."

Yes, it… Is, isn't it?
Ah, the big sticking point. Friendship shouldn't be too hard for him.

"How about you take a turn?"

"You have but two to go. You can-."
Well, maybe he needs a break.

"And you've got six to go and I don't need your help to be honest!"

"It's true! He doesn't! He said so-"
Oh, gods. It's a Monty Python reference.

A mauve mare with cauliflower ears prances through the ghost-crowd, a snake-tongue flicking between her lips.

"-himself, so it must be true!"

I brace for an attack, while Luna merely blinks and then nods.
And it's an Anti-Life vector too? Insidious!

"We suppose that it is not in his interests to lie."

I reach up with my right forehoof and shove her in the left shoulder.

"Luna, I was obviously lying. I don't know what these things are, but they're affecting the way you think."
Glad someone's keeping their head. Presumably the magic of the Tantabus makes it easier for her to be affected.

She shudders for a moment, focusing her mind and incidentally picking up her green sigil at the same time.

"We demand that you tell Us who you are!"

"Yelling Fool!"
I have no doubt that's a completely suitable name for some jester or jackanapes.

Hah!

Luna scowls. "You will regret insulting Us, oh baleful fragment of malediction!"

"I will?! Okay!"
Boy, it's happy to agree with anything, isn't it?

"No, Luna, I think that's her name. And she's a distraction."

"I thought I was a pony! Can I be both?!"
Seriously, did Pinkie Pie sneak in here somehow?

"Luna, pick-."

The ground -and Yelling Fool- drops away and the gazebo morphs into a chariot. Day turns to night as we descend through the sky and land in Ponyville.

"Nightmare Night." Fragments of the events of that evening flash before our eyes. "The first day 'pon which we dared to believe that We might one day walk amongst our subjects without engendering fear or contempt. Except intentionally."
And an event that turned out well for her, in the end.

There's a brief blue flash on her peytral as the blue sigil appears, and we watch her phantasmal self getting seen off by the Ponyville crowd.

"This leaves love, compassion, avarice and hatred, doth it not?"

"Hate and anger." I frown. "Do these Anti-Life inspired pony phantasms mean anything to you, or are they just trying to get you to reject the Elements?"
Which would weaken her severely, I suppose.

"We are uncertain. But We doubt that it changes Our approach." She flicks her mane and flaps her wings, rising into the air and flying towards… Whitetail Woods. The non-monster-infested woodland abutting Ponyville. "We will attempt love next."

I flap after her. "I've got plans tomorrow evening, but after-."
Seriously, Grayven, I don't think she's interested. Besides, I doubt it would work out. Just the physical logistics of it, really!

"Thy tiresome lechery amuses Us not."

"Not even a little? I got my laughter badge."
And made it look easy, too.

"For laughing at a child when he resisted your threats."

"No, that wasn't it. I put a fair bit of effort into acquiring those weapons, took some risks… And I didn't get them because of something I didn't even take into consideration. The joke was on me."
Makes a lot of sense, really.

She glances back over her shoulder for a moment before coming into land. A small clearing and a small… Fort? Fortified house? I see a grey unicorn with a blue cloak and pointed wizard-hat. Both are decorated with stars and bells. Starswirl the Bearded, then.

"And why would you lie?"

"To encourage you to see things a particular way. To see me in a particular way. But in this case it's actually true. Heck, you can ask Richard about it once-"
Hmm... Would Robin become a Pegasus or an Earth Pony? A Unicorn for his brains, maybe?

The Starswirl phantasm glances back at the door as two fillies… Oh, that's what they looked like when they were younger. Young Celestia and Luna trot out and nuzzle him before dashing off into the woods. There's a small violet flare as Luna gets the violet sigil.

"-we're.. done here. Starswirl?"
I'm sure they were adorable little bundles of lankiness.

"We were being taught how to use the strongest magics in ponydom, that we might fight and overcome Discord, and secure this land for all harmony-loving creatures. It was needful, but he was not blind to the fact that we were boisterous fillies. We felt much love in this house."

She shakes her head.

"Now, compassion."
That might be difficult, depending on her mood... How does she see her subject, after all?

And the Vision quests continue apace. While the Tantaquation slowly pursues, throwing obstacles at them. This really does feel a bit like an episode of the show, doesn't it?

Man, imagine if he brought the kiddies here. The girls would be in heaven!

It sounds terrible, but it really was for their own good.

Taking a moment to strengthen himself with Love, eh?

Because whatever his motivation, he wants to fix things, make them better for everyone.

Bit hard for the New God of 'Conquest' to be loyal to anything but himself, isn't it? Loyalty to his vassals isn't the same as suborning himself to something greater... But...

Good to see he hasn't abandoned Alan's memory, despite his failure to save him.

...Loyalty does come in more forms than simple vassalhood, after all.

No, not in His place of power, with an entire world willing to die for Him.

And a good way for Luna to see the danger of Darkseid for herself. I wonder what she thinks of him? Some strange Troll or Ogre, seeking power for its own sake?

Ah, the big sticking point. Friendship shouldn't be too hard for him.

Well, maybe he needs a break.

Oh, gods. It's a Monty Python reference.

And it's an Anti-Life vector too? Insidious!

Glad someone's keeping their head. Presumably the magic of the Tantabus makes it easier for her to be affected.

I have no doubt that's a completely suitable name for some jester or jackanapes.

Boy, it's happy to agree with anything, isn't it?

Seriously, did Pinkie Pie sneak in here somehow?

And an event that turned out well for her, in the end.

Which would weaken her severely, I suppose.

Seriously, Grayven, I don't think she's interested. Besides, I doubt it would work out. Just the physical logistics of it, really!

And made it look easy, too.

Makes a lot of sense, really.

Hmm... Would Robin become a Pegasus or an Earth Pony? A Unicorn for his brains, maybe?

I'm sure they were adorable little bundles of lankiness.

That might be difficult, depending on her mood... How does she see her subject, after all?

And the Vision quests continue apace. While the Tantaquation slowly pursues, throwing obstacles at them. This really does feel a bit like an episode of the show, doesn't it?
A bit like the pilot in particular.

It feels like this is going way too fast. I mean, Grayven, yes, he has experience with this sort of thing, also meta-knowledge of the show.

But Luna? Her entire background is trouble with negative emotions and here she is, glomping the rainbow in record time.

On the other hand, they are still in dreamspace, which probably makes it easier. Still...

It feels like this is going way too fast. I mean, Grayven, yes, he has experience with this sort of thing, also meta-knowledge of the show.

But Luna? Her entire background is trouble with negative emotions and here she is, glomping the rainbow in record time.

On the other hand, they are still in dreamspace, which probably makes it easier. Still...
It would be hilarious if the they aren't actually doing anything of meaning and the only reason the sigil's/gems are appearing is that they are dreaming that they should appear.

What, Grayven's never had a moment of brutal honesty with a friend?
Nah. Because just about every conversation he's had since he arrived in DC has had layers of dishonesty in it. Even before he started stealing Grayven's identity he was lying about his age, and a conversation isn't Honest if one party has deliberately mislead the other about who they are.

I think the person who brought up the scene at the Source Wall probably had the right of it, that's the most honest he's been in this story. Even if it was just with himself.

It would be hilarious if the they aren't actually doing anything of meaning and the only reason the sigil's/gems are appearing is that they are dreaming that they should appear.
It'd mean they're kinda fucked so I'm not sure 'hilarious' is the right word but it would be rather darkly amusing.

It'd mean they're kinda fucked so I'm not sure 'hilarious' is the right word but it would be rather darkly amusing.
Na, it just means they would have to be saved by an outside force.

Which because it would be Pony's doing the saving would be sufficiently humbling to make the entire thing doubly hilarious.

Nah. Because just about every conversation he's had since he arrived in DC has had layers of dishonesty in it. Even before he started stealing Grayven's identity he was lying about his age, and a conversation isn't Honest if one party has deliberately mislead the other about who they are.

I think the person who brought up the scene at the Source Wall probably had the right of it, that's the most honest he's been in this story. Even if it was just with himself.
I like to think it was with the source

No, no. Grayven was most honest when he met up with Jade months after their breakup. He communicated that the end of that relationship and the way Jade turned a knife on him were horribly painful. Traumatizing. Being honest was like ripping open a hole in his chest, but he told the truth to Jade instead of hiding behind his usual attitude.

Although there's probably a moment of honesty he shared with Lynne that fits the bill.

No, no. Grayven was most honest when he met up with Jade months after their breakup. He communicated that the end of that relationship and the way Jade turned a knife on him were horribly painful. Traumatizing. Being honest was like ripping open a hole in his chest, but he told the truth to Jade instead of hiding behind his usual attitude.

Although there's probably a moment of honesty he shared with Lynne that fits the bill.
Nah, definitely the Jade one. It shows him in a romantic light, introspective, vulnerable, and also available for wriggling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back