• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"Already done. I also spoke to a demon who was trying to make himself into something… Big, my merging with an newly emergent titan."

"That-." He frowns, his eyes growing distant. "Titan of what?"

"Technology."

He regards me impassively for a moment. I regard him right back for a moment, then raise my eyebrows. He looks down and shakes his head.

"Is this that… God of Technology you were talking about? Because-."

"Merging would risk you losing your personality. We're talking about drawing power into your current framework."

"If that could workI couldHoh-hoh-hoo, youYou know how to tempt a man." He considers it for a moment, then shakes his head. "It wouldn't be enough."

"Wouldn't it?"

"To beat Zeus. I don't have anywhere that could store a titan. I don't have the knowledge-."

"Hecate does."

"You went there first. Of course you did. I didn't like Simpson's plan because I would stop being me. Just drawing power…" He shakes his head. "But it still wouldn't give me enough power. Not one versus a dozen."

"Not using Hecate's leaching method. But like I said, the demon was planning on binding it to him fully."
Why is he using the name Simpson when OL hasn't brought up his name in conversation yet, and seems to be telling Heph this for the first time?

Also, fucked up. He uses 'the ones who walk away from Omelas' reference last chapter as what is being done to the Titans is not a good thing, and how the people who want them released have a point. Then goes from that to talking about doing the same thing to a new Titan. Who he knows for sure is innocent of whatever (possibly trumped up charges for many of them) officially landed the other Titans in Tartarus, on account of being a new born.

Where apparently the Titan has enough personality that merging with the Titan instead is 'bad' but binding it in what I guess is the same way the Titans in Tartarus are is alright? ("I don't have anywhere that could store a titan" doesn't sound like he is going to be left free-range except for the binding)

...you know, it'd be hilarious if one day Zatanna ends up coming after him, for the same reasons they went after Nabu. Trying to turn people into parts. OL may have tunnel vision and only care about that stuff when it involves someone they care about, but many people who encounter stuff personally end up having a large problem with it in general. Having you dad get Nabu'd doesn't mean you are ambivalent to some stranger getting Starro'd, because it doesn't involve you; it means you draw parallels between their situation and your personal situation, and become even more pissed off then you would have been otherwise. They have no room for that sort of stuff in their ideal vision of how the universe should work. Something OL should be familiar with, seeing how he uses that example of how to manage high-concept desire as a talking point.

Honestly, this situation feels like Zoat-the-author being a big numpty here. OL has a forgone stuff like ring-construct minions because it made him uncomfortable.

A god like this emerging into the world is traumatic enough without it being one with the concept of avarice.
Letting the Titan emerge normally is also dangerous, though it's a bit away. Might as well power up your friend.
"And if it was a titan?"

His gaze grows a little distant. "Once, when he was really drunk, Jupiter talked about what that was like. Mortals and gods alike being driven insane by the ideas forced into their sleeping minds. The whole of the world's magic being thrown off balance until it finds a new equilibrium." His attention returns to me. "That's one of the reasons why they didn't kill the titans who survived the war; they're literally propping up what's left. I'd… Guess, that if a new titan was emerging from the depth of the Dream -a Titan of Technology- it would be similar to how it would be for a god, only far more severe. The nature of magic on Earth would change."

I'm actually looking forward to Hephaestus getting a bit of an upgrade. I've always felt a bit sorry for him.

Also, Ares may be a bit of a bloodthirsty lunatic but Mars has potential. Maybe I read too much PJO growing up but I've always been more partial to the Roman dieties.

Ares the god of warriors vs Mars the god of soldiers.

Relevant scene from KOTOR.

I'm actually looking forward to Hephaestus getting a bit of an upgrade. I've always felt a bit sorry for him.

Also, Ares may be a bit of a bloodthirsty lunatic but Mars has potential. Maybe I read too much PJO growing up but I've always been more partial to the Roman dieties.

Ares the god of warriors vs Mars the god of soldiers.

Relevant scene from KOTOR.

Mars was also a agricultural/fertility god, at least at first as later on he became not much different than Ares.

Also, fucked up. He uses 'the ones who walk away from Omelas' reference last chapter as what is being done to the Titans is not a good thing, and how the people who want them released have a point. Then goes from that to talking about doing the same thing to a new Titan. Who he knows for sure is innocent of whatever (possibly trumped up charges for many of them) officially landed the other Titans in Tartarus, on account of being a new born.
I mean, while he does call it Omelas…
That isn't true for Erebos. Erebos is where the souls of dead Hellenes exist. And less-importantly-but-still-somewhat-importantly, it's the power source for Hades and Family. Melinoë told me that Erebos hates them. It's a The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas problem and then some. Great afterlife at the cost of chaining up a primordial being that may not have done anything particularly wrong.

I mean, Hades could suck it up, but we need the afterlife. The power for the sophoncy of the souls here has to come from somewhere.
Paul also immediately goes: fuck Erebos, the afterlife is great. Paul's self serving. His ring is orange.

27th October 2012
05:02 GMT
You know, on a 1 to 10 scale of stupid Paragon plans that's like an 18.

He's not just talking about enslaving an innocent to use as a battery.

But he has no idea what effects doing this might have on humanity.

Like, this is a Constantine level bad plan.

"'We weren't actually expecting her to be faithful to you. I made her marry you so no one else would fight over her.'" Something occurs to him. "And if I was strong enough to beat Zeus, I'd be strong enough to beat Ares, wouldn't I?"
Poor bastard. Don't tell me he still has feelings for her? And why would he focus on Ares first? He wasn't the one who cheated on him. I mean he deserves blame, nut he wasn't the one to break his vows?

Hmmm, i can't put my finger on why, but I feel like Paul is going to end up betrayed by one of the many moving parts this plans gonna require, but I can't say which.
Well... Given Hecate wanted the Titan's freed and here Paragon comes wanting her to bind and imprison a newly born one...

It's not really much of a question about who will want to screw him over here...

It's more a question of why she would ever work with him on this plan in the first place...

Thank you, corrected.
Why is he using the name Simpson when OL hasn't brought up his name in conversation yet, and seems to be telling Heph this for the first time?
He has spoken to him about this before.
The emerging titan is not yet fully formed and is more a confluence of arcane forces rather than anything that has a mind.

The emerging titan is not yet fully formed and is more a confluence of arcane forces rather than anything that has a mind.
You aren't making it better Mr Zoat...

In fact... You might have just made it worse because now there is a very very easy analogy that could be made about this...

Oh man, the Justice league better put the metal to the petal and get moving on a solution. Paul's efforts are starting to snowball into an avalanche. If they don't get results in…let's say 2 days. Then Paul's probably gonna act first.

Where apparently the Titan has enough personality that merging with the Titan instead is 'bad' but binding it in what I guess is the same way the Titans in Tartarus are is alright? ("I don't have anywhere that could store a titan" doesn't sound like he is going to be left free-range except for the binding)

...you know, it'd be hilarious if one day Zatanna ends up coming after him, for the same reasons they went after Nabu. Trying to turn people into parts. OL may have tunnel vision and only care about that stuff when it involves someone they care about, but many people who encounter stuff personally end up having a large problem with it in general. Having you dad get Nabu'd doesn't mean you are ambivalent to some stranger getting Starro'd, because it doesn't involve you; it means you draw parallels between their situation and your personal situation, and become even more pissed off then you would have been otherwise. They have no room for that sort of stuff in their ideal vision of how the universe should work. Something OL should be familiar with, seeing how he uses that example of how to manage high-concept desire as a talking point.

Honestly, this situation feels like Zoat-the-author being a big numpty here. OL has a forgone stuff like ring-construct minions because it made him uncomfortable.
Parole cannot be offered to the Titans in Tartarus while Zeus is calling the shots. Paul is willing to consider parole for those Titans, but he does not want personal authority over Tartarus nor the responsibilities of a pantheon-head. On the current time scale and with his range of acceptable risk he must build up an existing divinity to Zeus's level, which leaves him a small number of practical contractors. Transferring that authority away from Zeus will require a strategy and said strategy has a high likelihood of devolving into violence.

Now for Machine!Titan- if a baby which exhales poison is born, no one would call it child abuse to seal the baby in an air-tight room at times. The Machine!Titan may cause mass death on accident and it will be capable of intentional catastrophe immediately after birth. Making it sit still and think while in Hephaestus' divine baby jail sounds quite logical to me. Teach it, let it commune with Diana and sane deities. Hephaestus or whichever ruler(s) take Zeus' place will have the authority to set parole for the Machine!Titan just as they would the Titans in Tartarus.

We recently learned that Titans do not perceive the same way has humans or gods, so declaring the containment system for the Machine!Titan horrible or unethical would be damned hard to back up. Hephaestus has not talked about any long term goals with said power. There is no reason (which would fit his character as we know it) he should sit on the power permanently like Poseidon and Hades do. Don't assume he'll be corrupted by the power when Paul the soon-to-be Usurper of Zeus will keep an eye on him.

Was wondering about the name dropping by Heph too.

you're associating the 'imprisonment' and the 'empowering' aspects when it's been shown in story that a god can draw on a titan without the cage aspect. I expect that Paul intends to 'slot' Hephaestus into the dreamspace between humanity and the arising titan rather than let a new God arise while Earth thaumosphere is thrown into disarray by the awakening of the Titan, from hints in the last chapters.

Paul also immediately goes: fuck Erebos, the afterlife is great. Paul's self serving. His ring is orange.
And this also feels forced to me.
I mean, it was never his only option.
He could have gone to the honden, and been one with all the desires of the mutiverse.
His choosing to bind himself to the Greek afterlife always felt arbitrary and dumb to me.

And this episode, we find he as also stupid about it.
Because he obviously didn't do the research.

And this here now, just feels like a sunk cost fallacy, and doubling down on the stupid.
Because if his issue is 'ya gots to have a self aware afterlife' and being a dreamlike shade is inacceptable.

Stop being lazy and taking the 'powered by a forsaken child' option, get off your ass, put in the work, and find or make a better solution.

I mean the Silver City has fully aware inhabitants, and isn't powered by imprisoned Titans.
Inmates in Hell are also full aware (to the horror of most of them)
He could have went ahead with taking over Hell and making it a decent place, and solved two birds with one stone.

And that neglects the fact that even in this story, before Hades started linking souls to Erebus, some of the dead did in fact have full cognitive abilities in their own right. The exceptional ones, the heroes. So, maybe look into isolating the how and why of that and duplicating it. Arcane infusers perhaps, pumping mana into souls?

The whole thing just comes off as lazy of some sort or other.

"Already done. I also spoke to a demon who was trying to make himself into something… Big, by merging with a newly emergent titan."

"That-." He frowns, his eyes growing distant. "Titan of what?"

"Technology."

He regards me impassively for a moment. I regard him right back for a moment, then raise my eyebrows. He looks down and shakes his head.

"Is this that… God of Technology you were talking about? Because-."

"Merging would risk you losing your personality. We're talking about drawing power into your current framework."
That's something I was actually considering last week with my jumpchain character.

WTR Jumpdoc.
Origin: Mage

Perks
200 Expanded Metaphysique [x15]
200 Bandwidth and Wavelength [The Metal]
300 Alchemy [Titan of Technology]
400 Domain [Technology]
400 Jolly Cooperation
600 Nature of the Soul

I forget how Prometheus is portrayed in WTR, is he a titan like he is in myth, or a mortal who became a god? Because drawing power from him would be decent as well. Although, if he's a titan in DC, given his domain of forethought, it's likely that he's already in use by Athena.

Imagine if Heph was drawing power from both.

Last edited:
I forget how Prometheus is portrayed in WTR, is he a titan like he is in myth, or a mortal who became a god? Because drawing power from him would be decent as well. Although, if he's a titan in DC, given his domain of forethought, it's likely that he's already in use by Athena.

Prometheus hasn't showed up yet.

He's been mentioned as a potential patron for Paul and later a priestess of Hades mentioned Herakles freeing him from the eagle.

I think Zoat mentioned Paul meeting him in the future.

"And if I was strong enough to beat Zeus, I'd be strong enough to beat Ares, wouldn't I?"
Going one on one with Ares before confronting Zeus would even be a good warning shot. If it's the curbstomp we'd expect.

Hmm, which Greek god presides over programming? The three virtues of a programmer would tend to shake things up. Laziness, Impatience, and Hubris.

I like this plan I'm happy to be a part of it.
the_cake_is_a_lie__by_gray_skull_ddiyllp-414w.jpg

Best Case -
Zeus: "Why aren't my lightning bolts hurting you?!"
img-tesla-1.jpg

"Fool. You don't even know what lightning is. You've never heard of an electron. You don't know about voltage or current. Fire and electricity are the same force. It powers the minds of mortals. It lets machines think. It powers the industries of man. And you... throw it as a... ugh... a pointy stick. I am a god of the forge, and your claim to the domain of electricity disgusts me. Hit me again! I have more electric furnaces smelting ore than you could ever hope to power."
"What?!"
"...the factory must grow."

soo...out of curiosity, where do the " decendants of hepasthus " fit into this? because a few of them have "nice domains" (euthenia has prosperity for example)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back