• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

A Waltz in Orange and Green (part 4)
10th September 2012
11:23 GMT

"briefly studied Hobbes, but I certainly don't share his take on human nature."

I take a sip of the water Wallace fetched for me when I said that I didn't drink alcohol on duty. Naturally, Leviathan was the one book on political philosophy that Lord Malvolio brought with him from Earth. It perfectly reflects the politics of the era he's from and… It explains certain things about his Sector.

"No? Mine own experiences bear out the brutal barbarity of his beliefs. I reign as autocrat, and when banished, existence in mine empire became nasty, brutish and short."

"That's a product of the lack of direction. You had no heir, had made no succession arrangements and left them being ruled by a structure that couldn't operate without you. They had no way to resolve their differences without changing the system that you set in place, and their ideology wouldn't allow them to do that. So it became more and more dysfunctional until it broke down completely."

"And your suggested remedy is that I should beget an heir?"

"The succession doesn't need to be to a biological descendant. Roman Emperors designated their successors. Greek City-States would elect them. The important thing is that there's a process generally seen as legitimate that can put someone into office. If your followers had a mechanism for selecting a regent… You know them better than me. Would that have worked?"

"How could I trust a regent to remain virtuous?"

"Indoctrination. European history contains any number of wealthy men who chose to give up their worldly goods and join monasteries rather than live lives of self indulgence. Your followers were willing to kill and die for what they believed to be your will, even without you there to enforce it. Do you really believe that none of them could be relied upon to remain honest?"

"Is that how manners are managed in the Orange Lantern Corps?"

"No. That wouldn't work for us. An Orange Lantern is motivated by their desires. Instilling formal discipline at the age at which we recruit them wouldn't really work. Rather, we recruit not merely people with strong desires, but who genuinely desire to perform pro-social actions with them. Ideally, we'll get to a point where I don't need to keep an eye on everyone, I'll be able to trust them to do what I want by doing what they want."

"But for now?"

"We select people whose sense of self-worth is tied to their martial achievements or people who want to destroy our enemies. Our leader is a man whose strongest desire is to display his genius as an administrator and strategist."

"You do not lead?"

"I wouldn't do as good a job. My ego isn't tied up in having people follow my orders. I want to teach and guide, so that's what I do. If Dox dropped dead tomorrow it would be my job to find a replacement, but I just don't have the right desire set or skills to take it on in the longer term myself."

"And if your own self suffered a mortal injury?"

"Ah… The last couple of times that happened, it didn't stick. But if it did, then Dox would have to find someone similar to me to replace me. There would be a loss of skill in the role -I'm very good at what I do- but I'm not essential to the Orange Lantern Corps. And neither's he, and… If all of the senior Orange Lanterns died, Controller Hinon could take over. If every Orange Lantern died tomorrow, the Controllers would remake the Corps based on what we have built. It wouldn't be ideal, but it would work. We're not unified by a hierarchy of power and punishment, but by shared ideals."

"Is that at odds with how the Green Lanterns who serve the Guardians conduct their affairs?"

"Yes. The Guardians rule the Green Lantern Corps. For the most part they set only broad objectives, but their authority is unquestioned and their numbers are slowly decreasing. They are either unwilling or unable to either make more Guardians or pass command authority to others."

"And thus guarantee that in time they will suffer their own crisis of succession."

"Something like that. I imagine that if they vanished their Clarissi would take over with the support of their Honour Guard, but there would still be fairly major problems because they don't train Lanterns to do the things that they do."

"To what things do you refer?"

"Diplomacy. Green Lanterns don't get training in interstellar relations, and wouldn't have the authority of the Guardians even if they did. The pacts that grant Green Lanterns lawful authority across the galaxy would not be maintained or expanded. Green Lanterns also can't forge their own rings or personal lanterns."

"Not one of them?"

"It's a very rare ability, requiring total focus over a prolonged period of time. And then you don't necessarily get a particularly good one; forging is a difficult skill to learn. In the Orange Lantern Corps we have one man who can reliably do it, and he earnestly wants to destroy the entire universe. I can create orange personal lanterns, but so far only ones of very low quality."

A frown.

"What manner of man wishes to destroy creation?"

"A Qwardian Weaponer. Their culture was founded by… I don't think it's technically a god, but a being who wanted to destroy all creation, convert it into energy and absorb it. The Weaponers consider creating weapons and destroying things to be a sacred duty. I arranged for him to be employed because he'll do less harm working for us where we can see him rather than leaving him to his own devices."

"You could slay him."

"Then who would make our rings if the Controllers decide not to work with us? As I said, it's an uncommon skill. And now that I've accepted him, I don't think it would be right to kill him without evidence that he's fallen back on bad habits."

He nods.

"An inconsistent sovereign's word counts for little. Tell me, are there rings of avarice outside of your control?"

"Probably. Due to one of the actions I look against the first Orange Lantern, rings were scattered across the galaxy. There's almost no way for me to know whether or not we managed to recover them all, and there have been a couple of occasions in which I've been called in to deal with their recipients."

"And how did you treat with them?"

"Some were bandits, and I dealt with them as I would with any other bandit. Some were driven mad by their ring, and I dealt with them as I would any other madman. And some had mastered their ring. Those I offered a position in our Corps."

"Did those in the latter group all accept?"

"So far, but it's not a large sample."

"What would you do if they declined?"

"Depends. Are they doing anything I strongly disapprove of?"

"Let us say that you do disapprove, but not strongly."

"I'd have a discussion with them and sound them out, give them advice on how to remain sane while using an orange ring, but I wouldn't take the ring by force in that situation."

"You would not impress them?"

"I don't own the orange light. It's a part of every purposive being in the universe. I have no claim to it in its entirety."

"Do you believe that the Guardians of Oa feel as you do?"

"No, but they do think very long term. They were content to ignore Alan Scott for decades. May I ask why you're asking?"

"I have affirmed my intent to resolve my troubles in one; both to anoint an heir and secure my Sector. I shall do so by seeking men capable of wielding will, and by my own skill strike rings to make their authority."

"Good luck with that, but I think that the Guardians did something to make that impossible?"

"Is a thing already achieved impossible?"

Last edited:
reigns as autocrat, a

'reign as an'

need to be to a biological

'to be a'

Indoctrination. European history contains any number of wealthy men who chose to give up their worldly goods and join monasteries rather than live lives of self indulgence. Your followers were willing to kill and die for what they believed to be your will, even without you there to enforce it. Do you really believe that none of them could be relied upon to remain honest?"

though this creates the possibility of a tyrannical theocratic government.

If every Orange Lantern died tomorrow, the Controllers would remake the Corps based on what we have built

That may not be the case.

They didn't exactly like that you made them give up some control and they'll most likely increase it if you were gone.

They are either unwilling or unable to either make more Guardians or pass command authority to others."

I remember Ragnarokascendant saying that in his fic the Guardians can't breed and can't make replacements.

Given the amount of enemies they've had it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that one of them may have made it impossible for them to make new Guardians.

he earnestly wants to destroy the entire universe.

Though he'd also like to destroy the multiverse if possible.

What manner of man wishes to destroy creation?"

A madman.

are there rings of avarice outside of your control?"

"Probably. Due to one of the actions I look against the first Orange Lantern, rings were scattered across the galaxy. There's almost no way for me to know whether or not we managed to recover them all, and there have been a couple of occasions in which I've been called in to deal with their recipients."

Dox mentioned a Controller was working on draining their power.

'with them'

Some were driven mad by their ring, and I dealt with them as I would any other madman.

You may want to elaborate on how you deal with madmen.

Malvolio's time wasn't all that known for compassion.

And some had mastered their ring. Those I offered a position in our Corps."

Now this is a good question.

What would you do to a Lantern that hasn't been driven insane but is still commiting horrible acts?

Presumably you'd either kill them or lock them up.

"I don't own the orange light. It's a part of every purposive being in the universe. I have no claim to it in its entirety."

Though you do have a good relationship with the one that can be said to own it.

Good luck with that, but I think that the Guardians did something to make that impossible?

Yeah I remember Kalmin mentioning this.

So he's made his own ring.

10th September 2012
11:23 GMT

"briefly studied Hobbes, but I certainly don't share his take on human nature."

I take a sip of the water Wallace fetched for me when I said that I didn't drink alcohol on duty. Naturally, Leviathan was the one book on political philosophy that Lord Malvolio brought with him from Earth. It perfectly reflects the politics of the era he's from and… It explains certain things about his Sector.
...Lacking the time to go through the synopsis there, I can't comment on it's suitability. But given what happened when he got confined, I suspect taking a firm hand was always needed. o_O What does it say about the DC universe that so many of the alien races are complete and utter bastards, and the benevolent ones so rare.

"No? Mine own experiences bear out the brutal barbarity of his beliefs. I reigns as autocrat, and when banished, existence in mine empire became nasty, brutish and short."

"That's a product of the lack of direction. You had no heir, had made no succession arrangements and left them being ruled by a structure that couldn't operate without you. They had no way to resolve their differences without changing the system that you set in place, and their ideology wouldn't allow them to do that. So it became more and more dysfunctional until it broke down completely."
True. For comparison, look at just about any nation in human history where the ruler left no heir, or their temporal power devolved into nothing. Civil war and outbreaks of banditry and rebellion usually followed quickly.

"And your suggested remedy is that I should beget an heir?"

"The succession doesn't need to be to a biological descendant. Roman Emperors designated their successors. Greek City-States would elect them. The important thing is that there's a process generally seen as legitimate that can put someone into office. If your followers had a mechanism for selecting a regent… You know them better than me. Would that have worked?"
I have the feeling the representation of all ruled parties would play a large part in it. You'd have to be very sure any prospective candidates were not inclined towards despotism...

"How could I trust a regent to remain virtuous?"

"Indoctrination. European history contains any number of wealthy men who chose to give up their worldly goods and join monasteries rather than live lives of self indulgence. Your followers were willing to kill and die for what they believed to be your will, even without you there to enforce it. Do you really believe that none of them could be relied upon to remain honest?"
But by the same extent, you need to make sure your candidates won't just rule by rote, following precedent to the letter and finding themselves floundering when something unexpected happens...

"Is that how manners are managed in the Orange Lantern Corps?"

"No. That wouldn't work for us. An Orange Lantern is motivated by their desires. Instilling formal discipline at the age at which we recruit them wouldn't really work. Rather, we recruit not merely people with strong desires, but who genuinely desire to perform pro-social actions with them. Ideally, we'll get to a point where I don't need to keep an eye on everyone, I'll be able to trust them to do what I want by doing what they want."
It's remarkably like herding cats, really. Make them think what you want them to do is their idea and they'll go happily.

"But for now?"

"We select people whose sense of self-worth is tied to their martial achievements or people who want to destroy our enemies. Our leader is a man whose strongest desire is to display his genius as an administrator and strategist."
No need to mention the blatant daddy issues. I doubt that would give the best picture of Vril Dox the second...

"You do not lead?"

"I wouldn't do as good a job. My ego isn't tied up in having people follow my orders. I want to teach and guide, so that's what I do. If Dox dropped dead tomorrow it would be my job to find a replacement, but I just don't have the right desire set or skills to take it on in the longer term myself."
On the up side, you have a whole planet of geniuses who owe you one to tap for potential candidates, though I doubt there are any Coluans capable of the job alone.

"And if your own self suffered a mortal injury?"

"Ah… The last couple of times that happened, it didn't stick. But if it did, then Dox would have to find someone similar to me to replace me. There would be a loss of skill in the role -I'm very good at what I do- but I'm not essential to the Orange Lantern Corps. And neither's he, and… If all of the senior Orange Lanterns died, Controller Hinon could take over. If every Orange Lantern died tomorrow, the Controllers would remake the Corps based on what we have built. It wouldn't be ideal, but it would work. We're not unified by a hierarchy of power and punishment, but by shared ideals."
Heh. I wonder what Malvolio makes of that. 'The last couple of times...', eh? I'm sure Malvolio is confident in his own longevity, but to hear someone so casually mention they'd died and returned...

"Is that at odds with how the Green Lanterns who serve the Guardians conduct their affairs?"

"Yes. The Guardians rule the Green Lantern Corps. For the most part they set only broad objectives, but their authority is unquestioned and their numbers are slowly decreasing. They are either unwilling or unable to either make more Guardians or pass command authority to others."
I suspect a big part of that is caused by the stubbornness brought on by main-lining Will as intensely as they do. Certainly, they know they're not truly unkillable, given their losses over the eons... But not making preparations still smacks of sloppiness.

"And thus guarantee that in time they will suffer their own crisis of succession."

"Something like that. I imagine that if they vanished their Clarissi would take over with the support of their Honour Guard, but there would still be fairly major problems because they don't train Lanterns to do the things that they do."
Which is a definite problem in future. We saw in the comics what happened when the Guardians quit, and the Corps had to go it alone. Spoilers: it wasn't great.

"To what things do you refer?"

"Diplomacy. Green Lanterns don't get training in interstellar relations, and wouldn't have the authority of the Guardians even if they did. The pacts that grant Green Lanterns lawful authority across the galaxy would not be maintained or expanded. Green Lanterns also can't forge their own rings or personal lanterns."
And the few who do have that sort of training from prior jobs are few and far between. As for the multitude of pacts and treaties... I certainly hope they're all recorded somewhere, not just the public ones the Lanterns are cleared to know about, but the secret ones like the real Vega situation.

"Not one of them?"

"It's a very rare ability, requiring total focus over a prolonged period of time. And then you don't necessarily get a particularly good one; forging is a difficult skill to learn. In the Orange Lantern Corps we have one man who can reliably do it, and he earnestly wants to destroy the entire universe. I can create orange personal lanterns, but so far only ones of very low quality."
At least you know that in future, you'll be able to manage both, thanks to Ambush Bug's little mind-whammy that sent you on a mental road-trip into your own timeline... But that doesn't help in the here and now...

A frown.

"What manner of man wishes to destroy creation?"
A very devout fellow with some very distinct moral attitudes.

"A Qwardian Weaponer. Their culture was founded by… I don't think it's technically a god, but a being who wanted to destroy all creation, convert it into energy and absorb it. The Weaponers consider creating weapons and destroying things to be a sacred duty. I arranged for him to be employed because he'll do less harm working for us where we can see him rather than leaving him to his own devices."
True. Who knows what he'd be getting up to without oversight? Besides the fact that whatever he ended up making would be very bad for everyone else...

"You could slay him."

"Then who would make our rings if the Controllers decide not to work with us? As I said, it's an uncommon skill. And now that I've accepted him, I don't think it would be right to kill him without evidence that he's fallen back on bad habits."
There's also the fact that trying to kill him would be very difficult, given his natural wariness.

He nods.

"An inconsistent sovereign's word counts for little. Tell me, are there rings of avarice outside of your control?"
And when a ruler can't be trusted... Well, people have been known to take matters into their own hands, as history has shown many times...

"And how did you treat with them?"
Annoyingly, there's no easy way to track them all down, is there? Especially since Larfleeze's Rings probably operate on their own network unless reconfigured for the Corps.

"Some were bandits, and I dealt them as I would with any other bandit. Some were driven mad by their ring, and I dealt with them as I would any other madman. And some had mastered their ring. Those I offered a position in our Corps."

...I do suspect Malvolio and you have very different ideas about the disposition of the mentally unwell. Remember, places like Bedlam operated with nigh-medieval methods well into the nineteenth century...

I mean, have we seen anyone decline the offer, really? Drakul Karfang, maybe? Also the First Citadellian, but OL never offered him a Corps posting anyway...

"Let us say that you do disapprove, but not strongly."
More precisely, are they doing something that OL finds morally offensive or materially wasteful? Things like conquering, mass destruction or mass murder. Because that would go a long way to making him feel strongly pretty damn quick...

"I'd have a discussion with them and sound them out, give them advice on how to remain sane while using an orange ring, but I wouldn't take the ring by force in that situation."

"You would not impress them?"
Eh, OL isn't all that impressive in the first place, until he starts fighting... :oops: Oh, you meant the other kind of 'impress'? :p

"Do you believe that the Guardians of Oa feel as you do?"
Plus, if someone is really a jackass, you can always ask the Ophidian to have words with them...

"No, but they do think very long term. They were content to ignore Alan Scott for decades. May I ask why you're asking?"

"I have affirmed my intent to resolve my troubles in one; both to anoint an heir and secure my Sector. I shall do so by seeking men capable of wielding will, and by my own skill strike rings to make their authority."
So... You intend to make your own, better Corps? No Blackjack or hookers, I assume, since you don't seem the type...

"Good luck with that, but I think that the Guardians did something to make that impossible?"

...Are you saying... You can make your own rings? Well, that's a horse of a different colour! Care to give OL some lessons?

Hmm... If Malvolio's saying what I think he's saying, then he might actually be able to subvert some measure of the Green Light from the Guardian's... Guardianship. OL would be well advised to encourage a spirit of fellowship with the Orange Lantern Corps, methinks. And therein lies the meaning of the episode title, I suspect... The elegant dance of diplomacy in action. :confused: ...OL's hosed, isn't he?

It's remarkably like herding cats

Oh, is Fluffles here?

More precisely, are they doing something that OL finds morally offensive or materially wasteful? Things like conquering, mass destruction or mass murder. Because that would go a long way to making him feel strongly pretty damn quick...

I don't think Paul makes that big of a distinction between the two.

And therein lies the meaning of the episode title, I suspect... The elegant dance of diplomacy in action

Or Paul and Malvolio are going to have a spiritual battle.

OL's hosed, isn't he?

Like a girl in a hentai.

So OL might be able to get a green ring and battery for Alan, who could then pass his blue ring and battery to Kori.

I'm not so sure.

Alan's soul also became blue, so he may not be able to switch back.

Though it may be possible for Malvolio to give Alan some tips so he can make another blue ring and battery.

This is fucking fascinating as a direction. The Guardians reaction to a non-hostile, but non-allied group of Green Light wielders would be telling, and the Orange Lanterns may well side with such an organisation.

I'm curious how the organisation would work though. Personally, I feel he'd end up with a sort of... feudal-ish thing? Like, less universe police, more 'roaming knights' and such.

Still, a very interesting turn of events, and likely a future ally, given that Paul here is entirely capable of communicating with him as an equal, without being an asshole or looking down on each other, like the Guardians would.

I'm not so sure.

Alan's soul also became blue, so he may not be able to switch back.

Though it may be possible for Malvolio to give Alan some tips so he can make another blue ring and battery.

If Alan can do that and start a new Lantern Corp and Mal starts his own then it would be several Lantern Corps started by humans in what would be the blink of an eye from the PoV of a mathusian. That tends to be considered massive universe shaking stuff.

I'm curious how the organisation would work though. Personally, I feel he'd end up with a sort of... feudal-ish thing? Like, less universe police, more 'roaming knights' and such.
Feudal would feel unnatural to Lord Malvolio. His earliest political experiences involved a conflict between absolute monarchy and democracy, and on that basis he'd either have his Lanterns as agents of the king i.e. him, or have Lanterns represent their home worlds in a conclave.

So OL might be able to get a green ring and battery for Alan, who could then pass his blue ring and battery to Kori.
Can green rings be converted into blue rings by using blue rings? Because if so.. being able to produce green rings also means being able to produce blue rings.

What does it say about the DC universe that so many of the alien races are complete and utter bastards, and the benevolent ones so rare.
That they are very very human? After all "homo hominis lupus" which is very rude and quite inaccurate to the poor wolves, as nothing they have ever done holds a candle to the horrors that we have inflicted to ourselves, but the implied sentiment remains.

What a great place to end this. So many possibilities ahead and Paul's been rolling 20s on his diplomacy checks.

I doubt Alan would want to go back to Green now. Personally, I want to see more blue lanterns.

What did they do to make that impossible?

Paul? This is the dude who is do strong in The Force the Green Light that he completely commandeered one of their rings and couldn't be shut down. Only locked to his own world.

What did they do to make that impossible?
The SI doesn't know.
Paul? This is the dude who is do strong in The Force the Green Light that he completely commandeered one of their rings and couldn't be shut down. Only locked to his own world.
Yeah, but Yalan Gur did that. And there's a reason why he calls himself Lord Malvolio of the Green Flame, not the green light.

Oh, did you know that Yalan Gur was one of the Green Lanterns in the Justice League film?

You, good sir, are swiftly becoming one of my favorite characters.

I just had a crazy idea Paul and Malvolio could team up to take down Sinestro. They know he's been terrorizing this sector and since Malvolio wants to establish his corps as right and just while also pissing off the Guardians what better way to do that than by stopping one of the most notorious criminals in the Universe who also happens to be the Guardians greatest screw-up.

I just had a crazy idea Paul and Malvolio could team up to take down Sinestro. They know he's been terrorizing this sector and since Malvolio wants to establish his corps as right and just while also pissing off the Guardians what better way to do that than by stopping one of the most notorious criminals in the Universe who also happens to be the Guardians greatest screw-up.

Greatest modern screwup

Younger stars in time shall rise
to the axis of the skies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back