• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

At first, I was WTF, then I realized we were getting the POV chapter for Nylor "dead-man-walking" Truggs.

It really is a damn shame OL didn't manage to incinerate this asshole when he had the chance.

There is one thing that makes me curious. How *would* Truggs react when he finds out that the Reach came to Earth *because* of the Light? Considering his past, I'm willing to bet on "very not happy". :cool: Too bad for him.

Maybe this is somehow related to Time Trapper Paul. That might be a higher level of time fuckery than the dial's.

I mean, it's not likely, but it is possible.

Actually the dial does have a connection to the Time Trapper in the comics.

Lori Morning was given a dial by the Time Trapper and used it to aid the Legion, but since she was only ten years old they weren't sure if they were comfortable with her help. Apparently some of them felt you should at least go through puberty before risking your life as a superhero.

Later the Time Trapper's face was revealed, and it was her face.

So on Earth-247 a dial user was the Time Trapper.

Deal, not dilly or daal.
Guessing that 'daal' is intentional, as are most of the random syllables..
Ugh...

When I was growing up, my dad had a large number of science fiction short story compendiums, most decades old. In one of them there was an examination of how the English language had changed over the centuries, and an extrapolation into the future of what it would sound like if those trends continued. When I came to write Nylor Truggs, I intended to go back to that book and use it as a reference... Only to find that my dad had thrown it out.

You know... now that we're on qq, I wonder what spider-sex actually is... what is the male organ... I'm imagining it's probably holes on the bottoms of feet(if the holes are on tops of legs for females)... or do they literally have dick-fingers? Or are they just a lot smaller than the queen so more than one "cleans her holes" at the same time?
Actual spiders use their pedipalps to place a sperm packet on the female's genitals.

Ugh...

When I was growing up, my dad had a large number of science fiction short story compendiums, most decades old. In one of them there was an examination of how the English language had changed over the centuries, and an extrapolation into the future of what it would sound like if those trends continued. When I came to write Nylor Truggs, I intended to go back to that book and use it as a reference... Only to find that my dad had thrown it out.

Yeah, that sort of linguistic drift seems to be a standard of sci-fi futures, whether it be cyberpunk slang or whole new languages like Interlac. I expect Truggs either prepared himself for the past with some kind of teaching device, had a universal translator gadget and/or sorted out a language tutor in the present day. From his thoughts in the chapter, he definitely had the latter?

Yeah, that sort of linguistic drift seems to be a standard of sci-fi futures, whether it be cyberpunk slang or whole new languages like Interlac. I expect Truggs either prepared himself for the past with some kind of teaching device, had a universal translator gadget and/or sorted out a language tutor in the present day. From his thoughts in the chapter, he definitely had the latter?
Present day teacher. After the Reach occupation, good records of spoken language were hard to come by. While there probably were teaching devices around -the Green Lantern Corps would certainly have such records- he didn't have access to them.

So was that truggs first appearance chronologically?

He seemed to be struggling with the language or his accent. And I don't remember him doing that in his other appearances.

I might be totally off base on this. I had a little trouble following what was actually going on.

So was that truggs first appearance chronologically?

He seemed to be struggling with the language or his accent. And I don't remember him doing that in his other appearances.

I might be totally off base on this. I had a little trouble following what was actually going on.
It probably isn't his first appearance in his personal chronology, considering his comments about Paul in his internal monologue.

Ugh...

I could give finding it a shot, do you have any other details about it that might help?

My best guess from those details would be 'Meihem in ce Klasrum" from The Astounding Science Fiction Anthology, text here
No, it was far more studious than that. I mean, that's funny, but it isn't what I'm looking for.
Two quotation mark issues.
Thank you, corrected.
So you two aren't speaking anymore?
No, I just made it clear that I would appreciate having the option for taking any books he wanted rid of in future.

Absolutely none, I'm afraid. I think the cover might have been mostly black?
I'm not going to be much help, then. Uhh, I guess constraining the time period would help... you're ~30 in the fic IIRC, so we'd be looking at what, decades old as of ~1990?

It could be:

Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold History of English by John McWhorter

The Adventure of English: The Biography of a Language by Melvyn Bragg

The Stories of English by David Crystal

Or

Dictionary of Word Origins: The Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words by John Ayto

The letters around the side appear to be part of the main unit, and while there were other raised areas on the front they were blank.
My mistake, it had been awhile since I read that particular series, the Dial was on the underside of the device.

mkmoDHU.png

Alright, don't assume that it happened exactly like that.
Fair enough.

Vaermina is just being himself, don't pay any mind to his delusions, engaging with him can be fruitful sometimes while other times is just a pointless endeavor.
Feel free to meet me in high noon if you want to have an internet slap fight.

Otherwise zip it.

He doesn't put a glove back on, but wraps part of it around his right forefinger before dialling. Y-R-E-T-S-A-M. Reed, he actually respected. Kinda. The man-. The boy had used the dial to do a lot of good. Kept a lot of idiots from destroying valuable infrastructure. And he went crazy before he could realise that the cleverest thing he could do would be to study the dial, so he got a pass there.

Almost.
Mastery? So, Truggs now has full ownership of the dial?

Also, it certainly seems to indicate that Truggs has murdered Robbie.

Called it. Nylor got the dial.

Paul got played, as I expected.
Yeah, OL isn't doing too good these last few arcs. But...I suppose this one isn't over just yet.

Seems like his mental augmentation is on the fritz a little and he's flashing back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back