• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I just found something rather interesting. I spent some time exploring the internet, and came across a website that seems to be a good source for anyone seeking to better understand Lantern capabilities and limits. I cannot fully attest to full accuracy, as I have not had time to check the sources, but it seems likely that it is mostly correct. I just felt that it might help to field any future questions about the canon Lantern capabilities compared to what happens in this story. From what I have read of my source, everything seems to line up (ignoring creative liberties that all authors must be granted).

http://www.dcuwiki.net/w/GLCWP_Great_Book_of_Oa

It is early March in the Paragon's timeline, I am suddenly suspicious that Ambush Bug is behind the Kidnapping of the Paul's and Jade's because he is trying to 'ship' them.

Because in Justice League: Action, Booster Gold called on himself from a few dozen different universes to help in a pinch, they even have a calling tree to contact one another. Last "year", Ambush Bug used Skeets (connecting him 'somehow' to B.G.) when fighting Paul.

COINCIDENCE?!? probably, but I do love a good conspiracy theory.

Gammadion (part 1)
Gammadion

4th March
12:35 GMT

"…which meant that we were able to prove that the entire corporate governance team were involved in breaking the embargo."

I nod as Jade and I slowly proceed through the gardens of the Grand Forum.

"Is that all the Reach have going on here?"

"It's the only plot that we know about that was anywhere near being completed."

We stop in front of a cascading, red-flowered mini-tree. Like a… Willow with roses, and those ornamental red leaves? The scent puts me a little in mind of oranges. The species which inhabits this planet is really into gardening, and it's considered an honour to be allowed to work on their communal gardens. Somewhere near the entrance a couple of Delegates and the richest woman on the planet are on their knees doing the weeding.

"Has their economy adapted to the sanctions?"

"They knew that trading with the Reach was a risk. Most of the 'reputable' companies who had operations on the Reach side of the border already had procedures in place to try and prevent them sending anything 'inappropriate' back."

I let out a hiss-chuckle.

"And how well was that working?"

"About as well as you think. Their procedures weren't terrible, but the Reach has a lot of ways to try and get past border security and before we got here the planets they target weren't sharing information. They didn't know about things they'd tried in other places, or how other planets stopped them."

I nod.

"And that's being fixed now?"

She nods. "That's why they invited me here. There are Darkstars stationed on about thirty percent of Periphery worlds, now. Even when there aren't enough of us to actually investigate anything, we share data between ourselves and then pass it on to the planet's police."

She looks up towards the lights marking the space dock where the planet's small LEGION fleet lies at anchor.

"And now that there's a neutral party to police the trade routes, they're trading more with their neighbors. Without having to worry about 'unaligned' raiders cutting into their profit margins."

"The Reach haven't upped their game?"

"They're still trying to pretend that they're a peaceful trading empire."

I look at her with an expression of complete incredulity on my face.

"Really?"

She nods as she takes hold of a branch and gently lifts a flower towards her nose.

"We think it's a cover; we're supposed to think that they're still in the 'diplomatic protest' stage while they ramp up their infiltration efforts."

I nod. Seems to make sense.

"So, what now?"

"Now,-" She drums out the names of her three clicker colleagues on the tree's bark. "-and I are switching to training the locals how to use Maltusian equipment. LEGION is building a recruitment and training center. It's not likely that the Reach will try anything else here until the war starts."

I nod again.

"Are you finding the work satisfying?"

"I am." She releases the branch and turns back to me. "But you know that, don't you?"

"I'm not-" I tap my right forefinger against the orbit of my right eye. "-looking, but you have sounded pretty happy."

"Aside from a few days after they found out that I come from a world that's much less technologically developed than this one, they… Respect me. Respect my skills. I have friends and allies in the local police forces. I'm doing useful work without needing to do.. 'evil'. And every day I see the people, the.. civilisation I'm protect-."

She frowns.

"Is this part of a plan to get me to take an orange ring?"

I shrug.

"It's a potential outcome that I've considered. It's not something I'm specifically aiming for. We've… Had a couple more Lanterns we've had to put in the Blue Cells, so…" She nods. "I'm not trying to herd you in that direction. Maybe you eventually decide to try a ring again…" I shrug. "Maybe you don't. Either is fine."

She nods, takes my proffered right arm and then we resume our precession around the garden's highlights.

"What happened to your third ring?"

"I gave it to the team's new Zamaron member."

"Zamaron?"

"Half-zamaron. The other half is korugari. You remember I said that-."

"Star Sapphire recruited her?"

"Yes, and once she stopped freaking out about someone using the orange light, I gave her a ring to play with."

"Shouldn't you be supervising her?"

"She hasn't even put it on yet. She hasn't gotten further than holding it. She's had it drummed into her from birth that the other colours are bad and I'm not even sure that she can use it."

She nods, then waves at a local couple with her free hand. My rings tell me that their expression at seeing her is one of mild awe. I don't rate a second glance.

I smile inwardly. Positive reinforcement, that's the thing!

"Your mother went out vigilanting with Artemis last night."

Jade smiles faintly.

"I hope she doesn't nag her about that as badly as she does her schoolwork."

"Did she used to nag you about your knifework?"

"I… Don't remember it that well. I never hated her as much as I did Dad, but… I can only remember a few of our lessons together clearly."

"What did she-?"

"Can we-?" She shifts uncomfortably. "Talk about something else?"

"Sure. Ah, I managed to kill four more Justice League members yesterday."

"How badly did they do in the wargame?"

"I'd give them a 'B' overall. I'll make it a B Plus if they actually upgrade their equipment this time. Better still, the Sivanas think that if Mister Atom could kill that many Justice League members that easily, they were right to focus on fighting the sheeda, because…"

Her smile is a little less faint now.

"Did you tell the League about that?"

"I thought it best not to."

Last edited:
A Gammadion is a cross made of capital Gammas, which in turn look like upside-down capital Ls.

So, basically, the name of this episode is Swastika.

Well, that's not foreboding at all.

The Reach plot interests me a lot, so I'm happy we are back here.

Will we see more of Paul's involvement with that or will it be left to the people he delegated too? Also, what's the status on getting the Oans to play together again?

Does LEGION still stand for what it did in the comics? Cos I'm not sure if that acronym makes perfect sense in this context

Gammadion

4th March
12:35 GMT

"…which meant that we were able to prove that the entire corporate governance team were involved in breaking the embargo."

I nod as Jade and I slowly proceed through the gardens of the Grand Forum.
Ah, catching up with the lady love. A nice warmup for a new episode.

"Is that all the Reach have going on here?"

"It's the only plot that we know about that was anywhere near being completed."

We stop in front of a cascading, red-flowered mini-tree. Like a… Willow with roses, and those ornamental red leaves? The scent puts me a little in mind of oranges. The species which inhabits this planet are really into gardening, and it's considered an honour to be allowed to work on their communal gardens. Somewhere near the entrance a couple of Delegates and the richest woman on the planet are on their knees doing the weeding.
Impressive. I suppose it could be a religious thing, a way to keep the upper echelons of their government grounded...

"Has their economy adapted to the sanctions?"

"They knew that trading with the Reach was a risk. Most of the 'reputable' companies who had operations on the Reach side of the border already had procedures in place to try and prevent them sending anything 'inappropriate' back."

I let out a hiss-chuckle.

"And how well was that working?"
Heh. I'm sure the black market and smuggling trades were in full swing...

"About as well as you think. Their procedures weren't terrible, but the Reach has a lot of ways to try and get past border security and before we got here the planets they target weren't sharing information. They didn't know about things they'd tried in other places, or how other planets stopped them."

I nod.
The folly of not getting to know your neighbours, played out on an interstellar scale...

"And that's being fixed now?"

She nods. "That's why they invited me here. There are Darkstars stationed on about thirty percent of Periphery worlds, now. Even when there aren't enough of us to actual investigate anything, we share data between ourselves and then pass it on to the planet's police."

She looks up towards the lights marking the space dock where the planet's small LEGION fleet lies at anchor.
Good to see a fleet presence. At least Jade and her fellow troops won't be stranded if things go sour. Assuming OL wouldn't come running as soon as he learned of it.

"And now that there's a neutral party to police the trade routes, they're trading more with their neighbors. Without having to worry about 'unaligned' raiders cutting into their profit margins."

"The Reach haven't upped their game?"

"They're still trying to pretend that they're a peaceful trading empire."
Pffft... Seriously? Their cover's blown, they should just cut their losses. I thought they were pragmatic...

I look at her with an expression of complete incredulity on my face.

"Really?"

She nods as she takes hold of a branch and gently lifts a flower towards her nose.

"We think it's a cover; we're supposed to think that they're still in the 'diplomatic protest' stage while they ramp up their infiltration efforts."
Ah. Make a big fuss to keep them looking the wrong way while sneaking more ninjas in. Too bad NEMO is already wise to that trick.

I nod. Seems to make sense.

"So, what now?"

"Now,-" She drums out the names of her three clicker colleagues on the tree's bark. "-and I are switching to training the locals how to use Maltusian equipment. LEGION is building a recruitment and training centre. It's not likely that the Reach will try anything else here until the war starts."
Heh, nice way to vocalise the names of a species that doesn't have a primarily spoken language. (For certain values of spoken, like using human pitch and phenomes.)

I nod again.

"Are you finding the work satisfying?"

"I am." She releases the branch and turns back to me. "But you know that, don't you?"
An impressive shift from the typical Cheshire, likely due to OL and the Orange Light use she had...

"I'm not-" I tap my right forefinger against the orbit of my right eye. "-looking, but you have sounded pretty happy."

"Aside from a few days after they found out that I come from a world that's much less technologically developed than this one, they… Respect me. Respect my skills. I have friends and allies in the local police forces. I'm doing useful work without needing to do.. 'evil'. And every day I see the people, the.. civilisation I'm protect-."
I'm guessing the term 'caveman' was bandied about... Until she kicked some asses.

She frowns.

"Is this part of a plan to get me to take an orange ring?"
And yet she's still the same Cheshire, in so many ways.

I shrug.

"It's a potential outcome that I've considered. It's not something I'm specifically aiming for. We've… Had a couple more Lanterns we've had to put in the Blue Cells, so…" She nods. "I'm not trying to herd you in that direction. Maybe you eventually decide to try a ring again…" I shrug. "Maybe you don't. Either is fine."
Huh, some people still getting hit by the MINEMINEMINE-bomb, eh?

She nods, takes my proffered right arm and then we resume our precession around the garden's highlights.

"What happened to your third ring?"

"I gave it to the team's new Zamaron member."
Heh. All of a month and she hasn't even used it, has she?

"Zamaron?"

"Half-zamaron. The other half is korugari. You remember I said that-."

"Star Sapphire recruited her?"
Well, she's got a leg up on some of the League members in keeping up on the news...

"Yes, and once she stopped freaking out about someone using the orange light, I gave her a ring to play with."

"Shouldn't you be supervising her?"

"She hasn't even put it on yet. She hasn't gotten further than holding it. She's had it drummed into her from birth that the other colours are bad and I'm not even sure that she can use it."
Few people have the character needed to channel two different lights, especially ones towards opposite ends of the Spectrum. The Renegade gets away with it by alternating, and he uses two lights adjacent to each other...

She nods, then waves at a local couple with her free hand. My rings tell me that their expression at seeing her is one of mild awe. I don't rate a second glance.

I smile inwardly. Positive reinforcement, that's the thing!
Also, no "It's the Cake-Man!" I'm sure that's a bonus.

"Your mother went out vigilanting with Artemis last night."

Jade smiles faintly.

"I hope she doesn't nag her about that as badly as she does her schoolwork."
At least Paula can keep up with Artemis' Dannered physique a little?

"Did she used to nag you about your knifework?"

"I… Don't remember it that well. I never hated her as much as I did Dad, but… I can only remember a few of our lessons together clearly."

"What did she-?"

"Can we-?" She shifts uncomfortably. "Talk about something else?"
Ah, OL, blundering into bad conversational routes as usual.

"Sure. Ah, I managed to kill four more Justice League members yesterday."

"How badly did they do in the wargame?"
He sounds so proud. Don't forget the one or two disabled or otherwise out of combat, like Rocket Red.

"I'd give them a 'B' overall. I'll make it a B Plus if they actually upgrade their equipment this time. Better still, the Sivanas think that if Mister Atom could kill that many Justice League members that easily, they were right to focus on fighting the sheeda, because…"

Her smile is a little less faint now.

"Did you tell the League about that?"

"I thought it best not to."
...Because if they put their mind to it, they could do a real number on Earth? Yeah... Not waht you want the League focusing on, especially with OL trying to nudge the younger Sivanas towards good.

And we're one episode closer to April Fools. From what Ganurath said, I foresee either Nazis or religion playing a big part in this episode...

Hey what does the OLC do with lanterns that have misused their rings, but haven't been driven crazy by them, like those in the blue cells?

What is their policy on that?

Are the Controllers going to figure out a way to turn assimilated people back into regular people in your story, and if so then what year?

Will they try to use the white light to do so, you said that they will try to gain access to it to safely bring someone back from the dead?

Can people that were magic users in life and get assimilated still use magic, aside from those demons that OL assimilated?

Is there a way to turn assimilated people back into regular people in the comics?

The only time someone came back from assimilation happened in a fic i read where the assimilated MC was brought back using the blue light.

Will the paragon get to use a ring of a diffrent color in your story, like the renegade?

Aside from that time he used the star sapphire to make a demonstration to Jades roommate.

Yes, I tried to work out an alternative and came up with nothing. Any ideas?
Maybe just change it a little bit? Something like Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operational Navy?

Since it's a navy that works with the various governments neighbouring the Reach but doesn't answer to any of them

Hey what does the OLC do with lanterns that have misused their rings, but haven't been driven crazy by them, like those in the blue cells?

What is their policy on that?
Depends what you mean by 'misused'. So far there haven't been any major non-insanity related disciplinary problems from people integrated into the Corps proper, because Dox is filtering them.
Are the Controllers going to figure out a way to turn assimilated people back into regular people in your story, and if so then what year?
I have no plans on this topic.
Will they try to use the white light to do so, you said that they will try to gain access to it to safely bring someone back from the dead?
The Controllers? No.
Can people that were magic users in life and get assimilated still use magic, aside from those demons that OL assimilated?
The SI doesn't know.
Is there a way to turn assimilated people back into regular people in the comics?
Yes, one top-tier goddess turned Larfleeze's entire Corps back.
The only time someone came back from assimilation happened in a fic i read where the assimilated MC was brought back using the blue light.
I'm not aware of blue light ever doing that in comic canon.
it doesn't have to work in English
Yes, it does.
Will the paragon get to use a ring of a diffrent color in your story, like the renegade?

Aside from that time he used the star sapphire to make a demonstration to Jades roommate.
I originally planned that he would. I don't know if that will still happen.
Should call it the Orange-Affiliate Naval Service, just to be cheeky.
How is that cheeky?

Can i have a link about that goddess turning them back, that is if you remember it?

The only gods i remember Larfleeze facing in the comics were those Tuath Daan guys, from his solo series?

What was her name anyway?

Last edited:
To DrThoth

Yeah Zoat did add several characters who were first introduced in post flash point, Hyalt(a new god weaponsmith), the new 52 version of Trickster, that blind woman who he made an orange lantern, or even characters that were introduced pre flash point but had their stories and histories explained in the new 52, Ratchet comes to mind.

He also added that whole Superboys kryptonian name meaning abomination, that was introduced in the comics with the whole H'el thing and Kara, unless it was mentioned in pre fp continuity.

LEGION as an english acronym hardly makes sense anyway, but there's no reason that "Legion" can't be the closest translation of the term most commonly used for this force. You could say it translations as something like, "Legion of Allied Interstellar Security Forces" which most people refer to as the "Legion". The conceit being that it's not just the navy built by the Controllers (though that makes up the bulk of the forces) but they also accept ships contributed by interstellar polities allied in anti-Reach activities.

Which makes sense... Darkstars and Orange Lanterns are their own thing, but the Legion provides a place to integrate forces contributed by allied polities who want to be part of the anti-Reach alliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back