• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I thought I'd missed a trick yesterday.

Two pony arcs...I feel betrayed. In the worst possible way. Like opening up a container you thought was filled with delicious leftovers...but instead it was full of spiders. Only in this case, it's less Australian, and filled with ponies.
Ironic, since the ponies are leftovers from the previous episode, while something Australian would be more likely to involve a fuckton of spiders.

Would preparations doth she need for her grand working?"
Change "Would" to "What".

Two pony arcs...I feel betrayed. In the worst possible way. Like opening up a container you thought was filled with delicious leftovers...but instead it was full of spiders. Only in this case, it's less Australian, and filled with ponies.
Zoat said that their would be two pony episodes in a row beforehand; you must have missed that.

how you end up handling Celestia cause Luna has been a lot of fun.

Hehehehehehe

So now we have Trolluna? Truna? Noice.

And Grayven plans to stay for a while? Surprising.

Hey Zoat, are you planning on him occasionally visiting Wilson, just for funsies? Seeing the League ponified would be hilarious.

Morning
Equestria

"Of course, all the knowledge will take a while to bed in, and my employees aren't used to working on pony minds. Then you've still got the problem of natural authority; ponies are used to obeying Celestia. It's inevitable that they'll still look to her for direction first."
I'm sure that would change, after a generation or two of ruling beside her... Assuming she doesn't go with the 'Let Twilight Handle It' plan.

"Yes, We had noticed that." Luna sits up slightly. "We assume that you have some suggestion on how to remedy that."

"The obvious one is switch to the day shift."
That would mean late evenings and early mornings to manage the Moon...

She frowns. "That wouldst… How long can you sustain this working of arcane wakefulness? And should We be concerned as to the eventual costs?"

"It's not a spell, exactly. I'm sharing part of my own nature with you. I can stay awake for at least three weeks without suffering any diminution of my mental faculties. And I could have managed longer, but I was worried about setting a bad example for my children. Particularly given that the younger ones could probably have matched it if they glutted themselves. Since the whole point of this effect is to help a friend I imagine that if there are any negative effects I'll be the one bearing them."
Yes, he's basically the fuel tank, so to speak. If Luna has a meta-structure similar enough to a New God, she might manage it herself one day...

"Couldst you sustain it for years? Centuries?"

"No idea. I feel fine right now, but.. I suppose living in Equestria wouldn't really be practical." I move my head a little closer. "Unless you want me to."
Wow, you're serious about this, aren't you? But I think us readers might revolt if Renegade went pony full-time...

"We begin to see that keeping Our eyes upon you at all times may perhaps be safest for all."

"Any part of me you want to keep your eyes on in particular?"
Grayven, you perv.

She opens her mouth to deliver a verbal slap down, then appears to reconsider. "In truth… We are curious as to what cutie mark Starswirl's mirror has crafted for you. We realise that it is not the same as a natural pony's cutie mark, but it wouldst serve to… Perhaps make you seem less alien. Less intimidating."

"Ordinarily I'd say that I'm all about intimidating…"
You? You're a big pussycat, kind to all children!

But… Actually, after something like that even most Apokoliptians would be prepared to remove their armour. So…

I take a step back and dismiss my armour. Uh, my body fur is.. all lying crossways… Ring, groom me.

By your command.
Hardly humble.

I take a moment to look myself over. Just… More of the same grey fur. The texture my skin has back on Earth 16 doesn't appear to have translated… Can't really see my cutie mark from this angle. My neck is flexible enough but I'm just too bulky. Guess that means that it's not a big design in the way Luna's is.
Like I said before: Clydesdale-sized.

Hmm... Tied to his New God name? Conquest Through Unity? And no moaning about Fascists, the symbol was around since the time of Rome. Those Italians just made use if it for obvious reasons.

Hah!

I nod. "Blunt implements with a blade on standby if needed. That does sound like me." Luna looks puzzled. "I mean, I'm blunt, and I'm certainly not shy about violence-."
Lay off the snark, Grayven. She's been inside your head, she knows it's defensive.

"It is a fasces, dolt, as well you know. A symbol used in ancient Pegasopolis as the staff of office of the presiding magistrate of the boule. The rods represent-."

"The strength of the unified community, and the axe blade represents the magistrate's right to issue death sentences." She nods, satisfied. "No laurel wreath?"
No doubt signifying the right of rulership?

"Neigh. Mayhap that even your arrogance doth not extend so far."

"I'll work on it. But… If you join Celestia on the day shift it will give you the opportunity to actually take part in running the country. Alternately, you could focus on one project which would benefit Equestria and guide it to fruition, after first ensuring that at least in that area you knew enough to do a good job. Those reforms would be strongly associated with you, and there wouldn't be any conflict between Celestia's government oversight role and your reform role."
Not immediately putting his armour back on? He's gotten very comfortable here, hasn't he? Hope he remembers before he passes through the mirror, no telling what it'll dress him in, if anything.

"Didst you have something in mind?"

"Sunset has developed a number of theories, concerning ways in which ponies could utilise their innate magics to greater effect. I have extensive knowledge of training techniques which could profitably applied to improving Equestria's military. It.. hasn't exactly escaped my notice that your current services have been… Underperforming."
Things like exploiting the assumed Earth Pony geokinesis and florokinesis to improve crops? And yes, the guards have been useless. Wonder if there's a Sergeant Colon or Corporal Nobbs amongst them?

"And you would make these improvements in Our name, and thus gain Us credit."

"And make it clear that I was submitting to your authority. Besides, you wouldn't want me wandering about the place unsupervised, would you? All sorts of things could happen."
Surprised he didn't give an eyebrow waggle at that. Or the pony equivalent.

"I-."

I smile. "And since I've completed the business part of my trip, I wouldn't mind spending more time in your company."

She shifts awkwardly, giving her wings a small flap.
Literally putting her in a flap, Grayven. Do you enjoy flustering her?

"Regarding Our sister's former student. Would preparations doth she need for her grand working?"

"Not a lot, really. Just about any clear area more than six metres…" She looks puzzled. "About four times my length in diameter. She'd probably like an audience, which obviously has to include Celestia."
Just to rub it in her face, after all. Having Sun-butt there would be handy if something went wrong, though.

"That is all?"

"She's been working on a few things… I think she'd like an opportunity to deliver a lecture on what she's learned to Celestia's school. And-."
More rubbing it in, and maybe encouraging a few students to think outside the curriculum, eh?

"No, we meant… Her ascension. It doth not require more sophisticated artifice?"

"Ah, not according to her. Apparently, that sort of stuff is only necessary if you don't really understand what you're doing and have to substitute power for efficiency." I regard her for a moment. "What was it like when you did it?"
The mystical equivalent of trading a firehose for a water-cutter, eh?

"We-." She bows her head slightly. "We had been thinking of taking umbrage at your enquiry, but you hardly require our aid in the matter yourself and Sunset Shimmer believes that she already knows-."

"Um." I don't.. really.. care, but-. "Sunset made it clear that Celestia didn't want her pursuing her project and not only refused to tell her but forbade Cadence from helping her. I… Would feel bad about it if you deciding to help her harmed your relationship with your sister."
And for all you know, the sisters were born alicorns, like Flurry heart later on. I've not seen the episode, so if they comment on it themselves, well...

"Unless Sister forbade Sunset from studying ascension, knowing that doing so inspire her to even greater heights."

"Duuaaaaaahhh… I… Don't-."
And cue facehoof, as you realize Celestia does love using reverse psychology...

"Did Sister not inform Twilight to put the return of Nightmare Moon from her mind?"

"Yes, but she didn't banish her. I was just asking because I'm trying to work out why there aren't more alicorns around. Given the obvious advantages."
Likely requires very specific circumstances...

"Twilight Sparkle was able to trigger her own ascension by merging her innermost magics with those of her closest friends. Sister and I drew upon the magics of our mentors."

"A group evenly split between the three tribes? With whom-. No, obviously you had a close relationship with them, you showed me."
Heh, a bit of the vision quest that happened off-screen, eh?

"Indeed. Two each of earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi. Ascension doth require all participants to possess vast arcane power in addition to their close fellowship, which We assume is the largest limiting factor on how many ponies have managed to ascend. If Sunset doth not intend to do the same, how doth her technique function?"

"Basically, the magics of the three tribes have made such an impression on Equestria's background magics that it's perfectly possible to use that rather than specific ponies. And sufficiently complex mana siphons can substitute for close emotional ties."
Twilight and company used the Elements for power... Sunset is going to take a tiny amount from everypony?

"We… See. It sees strange to Us that ascension can be achieved in such a way, but We assume that Sunset is confident in her arithmetic."

"Everyone familiar with the notation who checked it said it looked sound."
Admittedly, most of them were humans unfamiliar with Equestrian magic... Oh dear, could we be looking at a potential overload of magic here?

"We should like to talk to her Ourself. If only to discern what it was about her which so enraged Sister that she pronounced a sentence of banishment 'pon her. We refuse to believe that it was quite so simple as reading a history book."

She stands, dismounting her resting bench with considerable more elegance that I managed.
Yeah, but you haven't spent your whole life walking on four feet...

"And would it be helpful to you if we arranged to enable you to review our soldiery?" I nod. "That will take a time to organise, but I will give the order to Our captain."

"That you." I follow her as she trots towards the door. "Oh, and… One thing?"
Oh, yes... That little prank...

"Yes?"

"Last night, when I was still trying to convince the Bearers that I was evil, I… Pranked some guards into thinking that alicornism was sexually transmitted."
...Probably not the worst rumour she;'s heard...

She stops head.

"Look-."

"'tis hardly the strangest rumour regarding our status that We have heard. May We assume that you contracted it from Us, and Twilight from Our Sister?"
Knew it.

"Yep."

"We think that We will allow this rumour to continue its gallop." She smirks. "We think that We will derive no small pleasure from observing their reaction. Now, onwards."
Ah, the troll is strong in this one.

So, looks like a big part of this episode will be Sunset's ritual-cum-thaumatology experiment. Still hoping to see Luna take a short trip to Earth later.

Corrections:
Should be bolded, yes?
...knowing that doing so inspire her...
...knowing that doing so inspired her...
It sees strange to Us...
It seems strange to Us...
She stops ahead.

Last edited:
Hey Zoat, it sounds like Max wants more FiM crossover episodes. Feel like adding another couple?

I mean it's called Equestrian Guise what did you expect
Are we talking big fuzzy friend spiders? Tiny jump friends? Or skittery bitey friends?
The kind you purge obviously

Zoat said that their would be two pony episodes in a row beforehand; you must have missed that.
As I haven't read any of this, that's quite likely. It's already Grayven, and now it's a 5 year old girl's Grayven.

Are we talking big fuzzy friend spiders? Tiny jump friends? Or skittery bitey friends?
I don't even want to know what kind of furry thing is going on here.

Hey Zoat, it sounds like Max wants more FiM crossover episodes. Feel like adding another couple?
Zoat can do as he likes. I'm just really low on reading material right now. Nobody other than Zoat is updating.

I mean it's called Equestrian Guise what did you expect
I click on the red box, I rarely look at the chapter list.

I don't even want to know what kind of furry thing is going on here.
More of a meme thing than a furry thing. In my experience it's akin to calling snakes noodle friends. Some people just find them cute.

Big fuzzy friends are tarantulas. Small jumpy friends are jumping spiders. Possible other generally harmless spiders.

The skittery bitey ones are the creepy spindly looking ones.

You know what would transfer Alicorn is to all participants, apparently? An ancient orgy between masters and students of various races as they most likely had in ancient Pegasopolis (unless that was racist against everyone but Pegasi).

One would presume the later is linked to the former. Consider:
  • Before the Nightmare Moon banishment, Celestia and Luna had to regularly deal with numerous S-class (world-threatening or similar) threats (Tirek, Discord, Windegos, Changelings, etc)
  • During the Nightmare Moon banishment, none of these threats materialized for a thousand years.
  • Immediately after Nightmare Moon returns (and is rainbow-blasted back into Luna), a bunch of S-class threats, including several of the ones from before the Nightmare Moon banishment, all suddenly rise again, within a few years of each other, and Celestia and Luna are now unable to handle them.
One would naturally link all these together, and conclude that Celestia made some sort of sacrificial bargain when she banished Nightmare Moon, weakening the diarchs in exchange for a thousand years of peace. Hopes then would rely on a weakened Nightmare Moon being defeated by an awakened Elements, who would then have to contend with the sorts of threats that the diarchs normally had to deal with, while they recovered.
Common fannon is that it was not being appreciated for helping Celestia banish all those threats that made Luna go bad in the first place.
In any case, Major magic shitstorms seem to operate on a thousand-year cycle on Wilson. IIRC the crystal empire also vanished from time and space for a thousand years. So as long as the ponies can make it through the next few decades okay, things will probably stay quiet for centuries until the next cosmic alignment triggers the next round of magical shenanigans.

"'tis hardly the strangest rumour regarding our status that We have heard. May We assume that you contracted it from Us, and Twilight from Our Sister?"

"Yep."

"We think that We will allow this rumour to continue its gallop." She smirks. "We think that We will derive no small pleasure from observing their reaction. Now, onwards."
Luna is do DAMN adorable. I love it that Grayven brings this out in her... Cute couple!

OK, boomer. ;)

Zoat has been telling us that there would be two pony episodes in a row, that is why the recommendation for those that wish to skip them was to return in the middle of March.

Hmm... I remember Zoat saying that the Renegade was going to end up with Blackfire. Has that pairing been scrapped or what? Because even if they broke up, they might get together again later. Though I could get behind the Luna ship myself.

Like I said before: Clydesdale-sized.

I *thought* he was too, but that doesn't add up, given this line:
"Not a lot, really. Just about any clear area more than six metres…" She looks puzzled. "About four times my length in diameter. She'd probably like an audience, which obviously has to include Celestia."
So that makes Grayven about 1.5 metres in length. That's Shetland Pony sized.

Do you enjoy flustering her?
Of course he does. This is Grayven.

Change "Would" to "What"
Thank you, corrected.
Hey Zoat, are you planning on him occasionally visiting Wilson, just for funsies? Seeing the League ponified would be hilarious.
Yes.
Things like exploiting Earth Piny geokinesis and florokinesis to improve crops? And yes, the guards have been useless. Wonder if there's a Sergeant Colon or Corporal Nobbs amongst them?
Florokinesis was never demonstrated in canon. Even geokinesis is debateable. The only instance of earth pony super strength was Cheerilee pulling a house. Earth ponies as a tribe severely underperform in canon.
Should be bolded, yes?
...knowing that doing so inspired her...
It seems strange to Us...
She stops ahead.
Thank you, corrected.

I agree that it's the more likely outcome.

I agree that would be the most likely outcome realistically, but Zoat keeps giving the impression they aren't good at magic in Equistria.

How exactly a civilization that can control celestial bodies, travel through time, and give out apotheosis is incompetent, I have no idea, especially in comparison to Atlantis, where Garth is somehow a magical prodigy for being able to make ice.

"Basically, the magics of the three tribes have made such an impression on Equestria's background magics that it's perfectly possible to use that rather than specific ponies. And sufficiently complex mana siphons can substitute for close emotional ties."
I really hope this isn't some secret plan to siphon all of Equestria's magic into herself to turn herself into an actual god.

Are there mental knock on effects from Grayven helping Luna stay awake?

Or is she just being a troll?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back