• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

'Soulless monster' freaks them out or 'he's just that weird' freaks them out?
He keeps the forces of Chaos close to him and the source of his power in a way that not even their immortal queen, Ariel, had been able to endure. Said immortal queen is an avatar of an elven goddess. Also, the greatest Archmage in elven history made a prophecy of how the elves go extinct, and Paol and his plans wouldn't have any part of it. So, his existence casts doubt on that Archmage. Who also made the magic working that's beyond the skill of any living mage that's keeping reality from collapsing. So, he inflicts existential... I don't know how to pluralize crisis, but that's why he freaks the Asrai out.

Time to contribute. "From Cancellarius, meaning a court usher or guard."
odd comment considering he's dealing with translated languages he doesn't actually know the history of. Or rather, an easy mistake to make given his ring's translator, but one that should get him side-eyed for how much it doesn't make sense once tanslated

odd comment considering he's dealing with translated languages he doesn't actually know the history of. Or rather, an easy mistake to make given his ring's translator, but one that should get him side-eyed for how much it doesn't make sense once tanslated
Obviously, glow-based translation is so advanced that it replaced the etymology with the local equivalent to form a complete, sensible statement with the same pedantic connotations.

It's like when Har-Zod referred to Kal-El's pod as a "Moses basket"; the Kryptonian phrase he actually used referenced an entirely different cultural history, but the intent came through clearly.

Equestrian Guise (part 9)
Ponyland
Afternoon

Buckface regards us with a look of profound disinterest. It's obvious where his name comes from. His muzzle is… Offset, twisted slightly to the left. Deformity, or the result of an injury? Not sure. Sunset's eyes switch rapidly between him and the load he was pulling, trying to estimate the weight that he was just pulling and perhaps comparing it to what his muscles should allow. Now that I get a closer look at him I can see the slightly uneven pattern of his fur in some places, where old scars and burns have prevented it from growing.

"Weyt yeh wint?"

Lightning Dust is looking at Buckface too, but I think she's just checking him out.

Scrivener frowns at him. "Come on, now. You kin speak their language jes' as weyl and I kin."

"What af it?"

"Hi." Sunset smiles. "I'm Sunset Shimmer. I'm from Equestria, the country on the far side of the pole." No obvious reaction. "To the north. Past the yaks."

"Oh, aye?"

"Yes! And we don't have anyone who knows earth pony magic. And you -apparently- do."

His cutie mark is a log-. No. A caber.

"Oh. Aye."

"So I was hoping you'd come back with us, and teach other-"

"No."

"-pon-." She frowns. "What? Why not?"

"Masters teach. I in't a master yet."

"Oh… Kay..? And how do you become a master?"

He looks at her. Then he looks pointedly at his load. Then he looks back at her.

"O-. Is that all?" She looks at me. "Grayven, we can get some weights, right?"

"Yes, I think we can manage some training weights. But Equestrian earth ponies drag trains for training. It saves on coal."

"Trains?"

I wouldn't say that Buckface-.

"Is Buckface your actual name, or is it more of a nickname? I can't believe that your parents actually-."

"This snoot not gi' yeh a clue, jimmeh?"

Lightning Dust sniffs. "If you're so tough, how come your muzzle got broken?"

"Dragon."

"How big a d-?"

"An' a moontain."

Lightning Dust looks thoughtful for a moment, then smiles. "This I gotta hear."

"Fought a dragon. He wus losin', 'til he got a hold a' me and slammed me int' a granite cliff. I thank it wus three ower four times. Then he flew owf."

"So are we talking a baby dragon, or..?"

"A mite bigger than that. An' yu." He looks at me. "Ma an' Pa named me Hearthguard. But 'til I get that dragon back but gud, it's 'Buckface'. Now wa's this aboot 'trains'?"

"They're giant metal carts that run all over the country. Also worth pointing out that there aren't any masters of earth pony magic in Equestria."

"Eh?"

"None. It's a forgotten art. There might be one or two who intuit parts from first principles if they're got the right cutie mark, but that's it. No teachers. No masters."

"How do they gat anythin' dun?"

Sunsets eyes narrow. "And what do you mean by that?"

"How d' they fight chaos beasties or move stuff? Nah wee pegapodes or unicorns kin dew at."

"Oh, can't we?"

"Ah han'na see it."

She smiles. "Unhitch yourself for a moment."

"Tchhaa! Twig a' a thang like yerself?" He jerks himself free of the hitch and steps aside. "Ha' a go iffin yah like, filly."

"And if I move it, you'll come back to Equestria with us?"

"Werl, I hafta finish moving it furst. But wance the deal's done with, aye." He nods.

"Grayven, open a boom tube to…" She frowns. "Where are you going with this?"

"West aways, teh the river."

Ring

Location confirmed.

Boom!

A tube aperture large enough for the giant cart appears next to a rather stunned shipwright.

"Hm." Sunset nods and then returns her full attention to the cart. Her horn glows and the cart glows in sympathy. "You know, a year ago I'd have tried lifting this with pure force. Now?"

There's a small flash, and the cart… Floats a little way off the ground, no longer affected by gravity. Sunset walks around to the back of it, makes eye contact with Buckface, and then rears up on her hind legs and gives it a gentle shove. It drifts forwards, wobbling left and right as the rollers catch on the ground.

"See, while we don't know anything about earth pony magic, unicorn magic? We're kinda good at that."

"Aye. So ah see." He watches as the cart drifts through and Sunset cancels her spell. "Werl, I'll nah go back on mah wurd. Let's tek a luuk at these 'train' thangs, then."

I smile. "Scrivener, I imagine that an actual ambassador from Equestria will be along presently. In the mean time, a little something to remember us by."

I take a Wilsonian world map out of subspace and hand it over to her. Her horn glows as she opens it and looks it over, then cuts out as she gapes in shock.

The boom tube booms shut, then a new one opens back to Canterlot. A palace balcony with a good view of the whole of the city. Lightning Dust flaps through a moment later and does a quick loop over the city. Buckface steps through next, the aperture wobbling slightly as he passes through. He frowns as he looks around at the city, far larger than anything that my drones found in Ponyland. Sunset brings up the rear, and I close the tube behind her.

Buckface frowns as he walks to the edge of the balcony and looks out across the city. Canterlot is only mildly industrialised. The country's main industrial centre is Detrot, located near their largest coal deposits, and while Canterlot does have industry it also has harsh clean air laws passed by the landed gentry who have no interest in breathing smog. Magic pollution filters are available, but they do make it inefficient to do anything too heavy.

"Well?" Sunset smiles as she walks over to him. "What do you think?"

He looks at her in bewilderment.

"What nincomninny built a city hangin' off a mountain? One gud stomp an' it'll awl tumble down!"

Sunset blinks.

"Then.. please don't stomp?"

He snorts and goes back to taking in the sights.

Okay, got the one for each breed.

"Sunset, I think it's time to do your demonstration. Let's go and round up the survivors of Miss Dust's lesson."

Last edited:
Ponyland
Afternoon

Buckface regards us with a look of profound disinterest. It's obvious where his name comes from. His muzzle is… Offset, twisted slightly to the left. Deformity, or the result of an injury? Not sure. Sunset's eyes switch rapidly between him and the load he was pulling, trying to estimate the weight that he was just pulling and perhaps comparing it to what his muscles should allow. Now that I get a closer look at him I can see the slightly uneven patter of his fur in some places, where old scars and burns have prevented it from growing.
Okay, not Arseface level, but still... Ow.

"Weyt yeh wint?"

Lightning Dust is looking at Buckface too, but I think she's just checking him out.
Oh-ho, eating the eye candy, is she? Wait until she sees the big lads...

Scrivener frowns at him. "Come on, now. You kin speak their language jes' as weyl and I kin."

"What af it?"
And well-read too? (So to speak.) Quite the full package.

"Hi." Sunset smiles. "I'm Sunset Shimmer. I'm from Equestria, the country on the far side of the pole." No obvious reaction. "To the north. Past the yaks."

"Oh, aye?"
I don't think he's impressed. Presumably not taking in the sheer distances involved. Or caring.

"Yes! And we don't have anyone who knows earth pony magic. And you -apparently- do."

Och, aye? How appropriate.

"Oh. Aye."

"So I was hoping you'd come back with us, and teach other-"

"No."
Of course not, he's still only a student himself.

"-pon-." She frowns. "What? Why not?"

Like I said yesterday, probably better off looking for the local cities for masters...

He looks at her. Then he looks pointedly at his load. Then he looks back at her.
I'm picturing him thinking "Is this bint barmy or summat?"

"O-. Is that all?" She looks at me. "Grayven, we can get some weights, right?"

"Yes, I think we can manage some training weights. But Equestrian earth ponies drag trains for training. It saves on coal."

"Trains?"
Oh-ho, he's interested now.

I wouldn't say that Buckface-.

"Is Buckface your actual name, or is it more of a nickname? I can't believe that your parents actually-."
Grayven, blunt and rude as ever.

Lightning Dust sniffs. "If you're so tough, how come your muzzle got broken."
Don't turn your nose up, girl, not until you've heard why and how.

"Dragon."

"How big a d-?"

"An' a moontain."
...Was there throwing of said mountain involved, or...?

Lightning Dust looks thoughtful for a moment, then smiles. "This I gotta hear."

"Fought a dragon. He wus losin', 'til he got a hold a' me and slammed me int' a granite cliff. I thank it wus three ower four times. Then he flew owf."
Okay, add 'nigh-invulnerability' to a Lacertomancer's skill-set...

"So are we talking a baby dragon, or..?"

"A mite bigger than that. An' yu." He looks at me. "Ma an' Pa named me Hearthguard. But 'til I get that dragon back but gud, it's 'Buckface'. Now wa's this aboot 'trains'?"
Ah, it's a point of honour. Understandable. And that's why he's training up, isn't he?

"They're giant metal carts that run all over the country. Also worth pointing out that there aren't any masters of earth pony magic in Equestria."

"Eh?"
Non-sequiteur much? Then again, telling him he'd be the first Lacertomancer of any kind in the country...

"None. It's a forgotten art. There might be one or two who intuit parts from first principles if they're got the right cutie mark, but that's it. No teachers. No masters."

"How do they gat anythin' dun?"
HA. He's got a low opinion of the other breeds, doesn't he?

Sunsets eyes narrow. "And what do you mean by that?"

"How d' they fight chaos beasties or move stuff? Nah wee pesagapods or unicorns kin dew at."
Oh, is he in for a surprise...

"Oh, can't we?"

"Ah han'na see it."

She smiles. "Unhitch yourself for a moment."
Ah, time to show off what she's learned, eh?

"Tchhaa! Twig a' a thang like yerself?" He jerks himself free of the hitch and steps aside. "Ha' a go iffin yah like, filly."

"And if I move it, you'll come back to Equestria with us?"
Appealing to his honour, eh. Or his Ego. Much the same with some folks.

"Werl, I hafta finish moving it furst. But wance the deal's done with, aye." He nods.

"Grayven, open a boom tube to…" She frowns. "Where are you going with this?"

"West aways, teh the river."
Not far, eh, just a hundred miles or so?

Ring

Location confirmed.

Boom!
Typical Renegade, taking the shortcuts...

A tube aperture large enough for the giant cart appears next to a rather stunned shipwright.

"Hm." Sunset nods and then returns her full attention to the cart. Her horn glows and the cart glows in sympathy. "You know, a year ago I'd try lifting this with pure force. Now?"
She knows better than that. Sneakiness beats muscle.

There's a small flash, and the cart… Floats a little way off the ground, no longer affected by gravity. Sunset walks around to the back of it, makes eye contact with Buckface, and then rears up on her hind legs and gives it a gentle shove. It drifts forwards, wobbling left and right as the rollers catch on the ground.

"See, while we don't know anything about earth pony magic, unicorn magic? We're kinda good at that."
Heh. This will be very interesting...

"Aye. So ah see." He watches as the cart drifts through and Sunset cancels her spell. "Werl, I'll nah go back on mah wurd. Let's tek a luuk at these 'train' thangs, then."
Bet's a bet, eh? I suppose he's looking forwards to a little break.

I smile. "Scrivener, I image that actual ambassador from Equestria will be along presently. In the mean time, a little something to remember us by."

I take a Wilsonian world map out of subspace and hand it over to her. Her horns glows as she opens it and looks it over, then cuts out as she gapes in shock.
World's a lot bigger than she thought, eh? Kind of humbling to see how small the part you know is.

The boom tube booms shut, then a new one opens back to Canterlot. A palace balcony with a good view of the whole of the city. Lightning Dust flaps through a moment later and does a quick loop over the city. Buckface steps through next, the aperture wobbling slightly as he passes through. He frowns as he looks around at the city, far larger than anything that my drones found in Ponyland. Sunset brings up the rear, and I close the tube behind her.
Wait, Boom Tubes usually don't wobble... Something hinky about his mass?

Buckface frowns as he walks to the edge of the balcony and looks out across the city. Canterlot is only mildly industrialised. The country's main industrial centre is Detrot, located near their largest coal deposits, and while Canterlot does have industry it also has harsh clean air laws passed by the landed gentry who have no interest in breathing smog. Magic pollution filters are available, but they do make it inefficient to do anything too heavy.
Ah, some good reasoning as to why the local towns seem so medieval...

"Well?" Sunset smiles as she walks over to him. "What do you think?"

He looks at her in bewilderment.

"What nincomninny built a city hangin' off a mountain? One gud stomp an' it'll awl tumble down!"
:D Someone else had that thought in-universe! It's amazing!:V

Sunset blinks.

"Then.. please don't stomp?"

He snorts and goes back to taking in the sights.
That's like asking him to not breathe...

Okay, got the one for each breed.

"Sunset, I think it's time to do your demonstration. Let's go and round up the survivors of Miss Dust's lesson."
Demonstration... Her ritual, or her lecture? So many threads to keep track of...

Still surprised they didn't get an actual master of the art, but this is just early days. If Buckface demonstrates his powers, I'm sure Earth Ponies will be clamouring to learn... Once they sort out reliable travel between the regions. Too bad Renegade hasn't researched Dolmen Gates yet... I think.

imagine that an actual

Brilliantly appropriate! Maybe caber should be linked to save people googling.

Translation, just in case:
What do you want?
You kin speak their language jes' as weyl and I kin.
You can speak their language just as well as I can.
What of it?
This snout not giving you a clue, mate?
I haven't seen it.
Tsk, a little thing like you? Have a go if you like, girl.
"Werl, I hafta finish moving it furst. But wance the deal's done with, aye."
Well, I have to finish moving it first. But once the deals done"
Yes, so I see.
"Werl, I'll nah go back on mah wurd. Let's tek a luuk at these 'train' thangs, then."
Well, I'll not go back on my word. Let's take a look at these 'train' things then."
What idiot built a city hanging off a mountain? One good stomp and it'll all tumble down!

Things like the history of the Crystal Empire, what Sombra actually was(not a unicorn actually), how magic works etc.
Geomancy would explain how the Crystal Empire could be a thing without unicorns. They just grew the city like a giant geode.
The country's main industrial centre is Detrot,
Someone is going to pun hell.
I imagine it's a magical city or something? Or it's on a plateau? Heck, that's like asking what kind of idiot built a magical floating city with stone and metal arches and everything when it's exposed to the wind and only Pegasi can stand on it.
Canterlot is built into the side of a mountain and the palace just out from the side in a way that would make civil engineers cry.
All the unicorns and pegasi left during the exodus, so the only ones there nowadays would have been born from earth ponies that have some pegasus or unicorn ancestry. That means there wouldn't have been anyone to teach them how to use their inherent magics either.

This will probably uoset the balance of power in Equestria like nothing else did.

Like it or not, Unicorns were, until now, clearly the superior species and their presence all over in government clearly showed that rascist attitude.

But with pegasus combat magic and now focused earth pony magic...well, the unicorns will not be happy.

Orrr... One character expression an ill-informed opinion is not Word of Zoat?

I rather thought that after it turned out that Twilight hadn't killed dozens of Pinkie clones, people would have learned not to assume that the Renegade is right about everything.
Eh. It varies.... In how much a character's opinion is taken as WoZ and in how much a reply is directed at the character, not the author.

This will probably uoset the balance of power in Equestria like nothing else did.

Like it or not, Unicorns were, until now, clearly the superior species and their presence all over in government clearly showed that rascist attitude.

But with pegasus combat magic and now focused earth pony magic...well, the unicorns will not be happy.
Fuck 'em. But not literally, cause this isn't a clop-fic.

Yet.

o_O Is she really that dense? If someone says they are not a master you ask where to find one, not how to 'upgrade' them to the rank.

Given it wouldn't even support its own weight without magical reinforcement I really doubt it is even remotely as fragile as it looks.

Although I am curious as to what he would think of Cloudsdale.

1) The 'balance of power' in Equestria is: Alicorns > rich people > poor people.
2) From the legends the Earth Ponies were the oppressed underclass back in the time of three tribes. This tells you a lot about how super strength compares to weather control and free-casting magic.

To be fair these aren't equivalent physical processes, pulling something isn't the same as lifting it (the cake may be inside the area of the instinctual spell and thus would also be affected by the magic) and there may be a mental/instinctual component at work in here as well, but the point is very fair at least from the eyes of someone with no knowledge of the setting beyond the odd YouTube thumbnail when the MLP craze was on its height.
Don't remember those episodes but could be more he was they to keep balance so that multitiered cake doesn't topple?

Now you're just taking the piss.

Does she have more than one horn, or is she a standard-pattern unicorn? Either "horns glow" or "horn glows" depending.

I read it more as him being dismissive of a society that's lacking a physical labor force.

Someone is going to pun hell.
I think that one might actually be canon?

Fuck 'em. But not literally, cause this isn't a clop-fic.
I mean, we are on QQ now.

Grayven didn't offer to fix his face? I guess he just wasn't interested.
I think Grayven didn't want to impugn the guy's honor. It is, after all, a well-deserved battle scar, representative of a promise to finish what he started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back