• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Back Door (part 16)
9th July 2012
06:46 GMT

The fleet is… Spreading out. As per my directions all their primary weapons are powered down, as are their main drives. While I can't get perfect scans of their interior, it's far easier to detect how much power is running through which parts of their hull. And once you know roughly which parts of their ships' infrastructure are where, that tells you where they're applying combat power. And unlike L.E.G.I.O.N. ships which have the luxury of maintaining full combat power indefinitely, the Leentniar ships don't.

"Observations?"

"To use the human phrase, we have them over a barrel. They can't get away and they can't afford to lose these ships. They might decide that dying here is better than dying while fighting the Reach, but otherwise you can probably make them do whatever you wish."

"Don't put too much faith in people behaving rationally."

"I don't. But leaving their original homes in order to survive suggests a far higher degree of rationality than most species display."

"We don't know who stayed behind."

"Then the rational ones escaped, and with a little fortune passed on their traits to their descendents."

They don't open a shuttle bay for us. I suppose that might be because they don't have permeable force fields, because they don't use small craft or because they're trying to keep our presence a secret from the majority of the crew. Instead, we're heading for what is basically a maintenance hatch. Quick scan… A basic sensor system but no obvious weapons. I press my right hand against the surface of the door and someone inside triggers the system to open it.

I float inside first, Lantern Gozzi just behind me. An actual airlock. Do they not have the capacity for anything more sophisticated, or do they just choose not to overcomplicate a perfectly functional system? I'm getting slightly better scans of the interior of the ship from here, so I suspect that whatever's defying my scans is built into that impressive external armour.

The outer door closes behind us and air metaphorically hisses into the vacuum. I land on the surface that's in the direction of local gravity and wait for pressure to equalise.

"I assume that you're taking the lead during negotiations."

"You assume correctly. This sort of discussion is something my rank requires me to handle, and my empathic abilities make me well suited to."

"Understood."

"Feel free to use silent ring communication if there's something you think I'm missing."

She nods as pressure equalises and the interior door retracts directly away from us, sliding along a corridor on rails. Hm. I.. think they were trying to avoid having a weak patch in their exterior armour, which means that they've compensated for the relatively primitive construction with sheer mass. I wait until the column has fully retracted into an interior wall before walking down the short corridor into the ship proper.

A single Leentniar is waiting for us. Humanoid, female and decidedly thin. Scans show… The surrounding part of the ship has been evacuated. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're planning anything; given their isolationist tendencies it's possible that everyone who has contact with us is going to kill themselves.

I give her a moment to say something, but she's focusing on a personal scanner that she's waving at us. Well, social norms aren't the same everywhere.

"Hello, I'm the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps and a member of the N.E.M.O. Council. Might I ask who you are?"

"I will act as a go-between between you and the Masters of the Leentniar."

Her voice… Sounds like she's ill-. Of course. If someone has to die, it's better if it's someone who was going to die anyway. Quick check… She wants to serve, to avoid being a burden. Do I scan her directly? They might detect it, but I don't think that really matters at this point. Do it. Ah, looks like widespread leukaemia-variant. Easily fixable by power ring. If we get a result which leaves the Leentniar as a going concern I'll fix it and offer her an ambassadorship.

"Because they can't speak to me directly. I understand. Are we talking here or somewhere else?"

"I can communicate with the Masters perfectly well from here."

I look around at the plain utility corridor. I suppose there's no real need for a fancy meeting room-. Ah. It's a local custom. They consider things like that wasteful.

"Very well. To summarise my demands: the worlds of this region are allied to my organisation."

"We have encountered Green Lanterns before."

"We're focused on a far smaller area."

And… Well, we don't have the same quantity of veteran ring users that they do, but our total numbers aren't all that much smaller at the moment. A combination of lower moral requirements and far more Maltusians able to work on ring production. We'll probably outnumber the Green Lantern Corps within a year. For better or worse.

"And we're at war with the Reach. Whether that was your intent or not, the Reach are using the Leentniar as proxies to get their foot in the door of civilisations neighbouring them with the eventual aim of assimilating them."

"The methods of the Reach are known to us."

"We're putting a stop to it. Which means that your people have a decision to make. We can't have you threatening our allies or driving neutral parties into the hands of the Reach. So, either you settle down and ally with us, or you accept us marooning you somewhere out of the way. Refusal will result in us assuming that you're siding with the Reach and treating you as our enemy. Do you understand?"

"Yes. I will relay what you have told me."

She takes a few steps away and activates a force field generator built into the collar of her space suit. It surrounds her head in a translucent purple bubble, a privacy screen which lets us know that she's still there but prevents us from hearing what she's saying or reading her lips. I take a moment to check, and I can scan through it perfectly well. But

looking outside the physical, seeing the patterns of her desire mesh with those… There they are.

Ring, send to Lantern Gozzi. 'I have the location of the Leentniar civilian government'.

Message sent.

Directly confronting them might make my point a little better, and I doubt that the people the Leentniar have raided over the years would object. But there are far more L.E.G.I.O.N. affiliates that haven't encountered them than that have, and we already risk looking high-handed due to the forceful way we've assembled our coalition at relatively short notice.

'It's for your own good' is a justification that really looks better in history books than in a diplomatic conference.

I advise taking no action. Don't even mention it.

I don't nod. If I use that location, I can write off persuading them to ally with us. It might help convince them to surrender and it will make destroying them easier, but we're not there yet.

The force field around the nameless emissary's head shuts down.

"The Masters have questions."

"Ask away."

"What do the Leentniar stand to gain materially by aiding you?"

"Assuming that we win, you can have your original homeworld and territory back, if you want it. In the short term, if you ally with us, we'll assist you in bringing whatever ships you want to commit up to our standards, and arrange a place away from the front line to settle as many of your people as you want to settle. You'll also gain the good will of your neighbours, which can be useful at times."

"What do the Leentniar stand to lose materially by aiding you?"

"Your lives. Your relative anonymity. The Reach might be happy to leave you alone while you weaken their targets, but if you side with us then that will change. Our main fleets have technological parity with the Reach, but in a slugging match we expect to lose ships and crews. You also stand to lose your fear."

"Fear?"

"The fear that causes your people to send a dying woman to meet a diplomat. Once the Reach are gone, you can become what you want, not what you need." I shrug. She probably doesn't have the cultural context to understand that answer. "Anything else?"

Last edited:
Don't put too much faith in people behaving rationally."

If he's asking her then put a ? at the end.

Then the rational ones escaped, and with a little fortune passed on their traits to their descendents."

Still they have a lot of other bad traits.

around and the plain utility

'at the'

foot in the door on civilisation

'door of'

neighbouring their with
'theirs'

'in us'

'as our'

Love that last paragraph.

Your depiction of the Leentniar is amazing. A very believable culture born from cultural trauma, resource constraints and xenophobia.

But even here there might be a good chance of "rebels". Especially youth that want to see more of their world than their fleet.

As usual, Paul will split another alien society down the middle :D

9th July 2012
06:46 GMT

The fleet is… Spreading out. As per my directions all their primary weapons are powered down, as are their main drives. While I can't get perfect scans of their interior, it's far easier to detect how much power is running through which parts of their hull. And once you know roughly which parts of their ships' infrastructure are where, that tells you where they're applying combat power. And unlike L.E.G.I.O.N. ships which have the luxury of maintaining full combat power indefinitely, the Leentniar ships don't.
Spreading out is a good plan, lessens the damage to each other if they scuttle themselves.Interesting that they're blocking his scans, though. Some measure of arcane ability, perhaps? With enough stored thaumic energy to maintain it...

"Observations?"

"To use the human phrase, we have them over a barrel. They can't get away and they can't afford to lose these ships. They might decide that dying here is better than dying while fighting the Reach, but otherwise you can probably make them do whatever you wish."
The trick is keeping their risk-reward evaluation on the side that doesn't mean self-destruction... And for all you know, their masters may choose to discard them as 'contaminated'... With all that entails.

"Don't put too much faith in people behaving rationally."

"I don't. But leaving their original homes in order to survive suggests a far higher degree of rationality than most species display."
Or, more likely, desperation. Never underestimate the ability of fear to overcome good sense.

"We don't know who stayed behind."

"Then the rational ones escaped, and with a little fortune passed on their traits to their descendents."
Unfortunately, they also seem to have passed down paranoia as well. Which is what's making just talking to them so damn hard.

They don't open a shuttle bay for us. I suppose that might be because they don't have permeable force fields, because they don't use small craft or because they're trying to keep our presence a secret from the majority of the crew. Instead, we're heading for what is basically a maintenance hatch. Quick scan… A basic sensor system but no obvious weapons. I press my right hand against the surface of the door and someone inside triggers the system to open it.
;) Aw, you didn't knock? I suppose that might be rude in this case, though.

I float inside first, Lantern Gozzi just behind me. An actual airlock. Do they not have the capacity for anything more sophisticated, or do they just choose not to overcomplicate a perfectly functional system? I'm getting slightly better scans of the interior of the ship from here, so I suspect that whatever's defying my scans is built into that impressive external armour.

The outer door closes behind us and air metaphorically hisses into the vacuum. I land on the surface that's in the direction of local gravity and wait for pressure to equalise.
Interestingly old-fashioned. Or solidly pragmatic. If you don't invite people on board ship, why bother making the airlocks fancy?

"I assume that you're taking the lead during negotiations."

"You assume correctly. This sort of discussion is something my rank requires me to handle, and my empathic abilities make me well suited to."
The joy of being able to pull rank as needed. And if things go badly, OL will take the blame too, so no shit lands on Miss Gozzi.

"Understood."

"Feel free to use silent ring communication if there's something you think I'm missing."
Now, any other person, that'd be an invitation to keep a running commentary... But Lantern Gozzi is a professional.

She nods as pressure equalises and the interior door retracts directly away from us, sliding along a corridor on rails. Hm. I.. think they were trying to avoid having a weak patch in their exterior armour, which means that they've compensated for the relatively primitive construction with sheer mass. I wait until the column has fully retracted into an interior wall before walking down the short corridor into the ship proper.
Unfortunately, thicker armour doesn't help with some weapons. But if they're facing weapons that big, no amount of armour will help anyway...

A single Leentniar is waiting for us. Humanoid, female and decidedly thin. Scans show… The surrounding part of the ship has been evacuated. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're planning anything; given their isolationist tendencies it's possible that everyone who has contact with us is going to kill themselves.

I give her a moment to say something, but she's focusing on a personal scanner that she's waving at us. Well, social norms aren't the same everywhere.
They're very serious about cultural contamination, aren't they? She's probably steeling herself to actually have to talk to the aliens...

"Hello, I'm the Illustres of the Orange Lantern Corps and a member of the N.E.M.O. Council. Might I ask who you are?"

"I will act as a go-between between you and the Masters of the Leentniar."
To be fair, unless they actually have been raiding ships' databases, they might not know what any of those are... Still, they can get the idea form context.

Her voice… Sounds like she's ill-. Of course. If someone has to die, it's better if it's someone who was going to die anyway. Quick check… She wants to serve, to avoid being a burden. Do I scan her directly? They might detect it, but I don't think that really matters at this point. Do it. Ah, looks like widespread leukaemia-variant. Easily fixable by power ring. If we get a result which leaves the Leentniar as a going concern I'll fix it and offer her an ambassadorship.
Given she's likely to be exiled anyway if she survives, that's probably a good end.

"Because they can't speak to me directly. I understand. Are we talking here or somewhere else?"

"I can communicate with the Masters perfectly well from here."
Suggesting they're actually watching live. And she obviously has headset comms to allow her to hear their orders. So it's as good as having them in the same room.

I look around and the plain utility corridor. I suppose there's no real need for a fancy meeting room-. Ah. It's a local custom. They consider things like that wasteful.

"Very well. To summarise my demands; the worlds of this region are allied to my organisation."
No doubt the rest of their ship is as compact and efficiently designed as this passage. Practical, if boring.

"We have encountered Green Lanterns before."

"We're focused on a far smaller area."
They know how Lanterns work, eh? So they're expecting him to make detailed scans of the ship. But they might not know how different the Corps are...

And… Well, we don't have the same quantity of veteran ring users that they do, but out total numbers aren't all that much smaller at the moment. A combination of lower moral requirements and far more Maltusians able to work on ring production. We'll probably outnumber the Green Lantern Corps within a year. For better or worse.

"And we're at war with the Reach. Whether that was your intent or not, the Reach are using the Leentniar as proxies to get their foot in the door on civilisations neighbouring their with the eventual aim of assimilating them."
The question is, do they care. As for the growing numbers of the Orange Lantern Corps... I suspect the Guardians will be watching very closely from here on out, if they haven't been already.

"The methods of the Reach are known to us."

"We're putting a stop to it. Which means that your people have a decision to make. We can't have you threatening our allies or driving neutral parties into the hands of the Reach. So, either you settle down and ally with us, or you accept us marooning you somewhere out of the way. Refusal will result is us assuming that you're siding with the Reach and treating you an our enemy. Do you understand?"
Laying it out nice and clear, aren't you? I suppose when they're this paranoid, stubborn and flat-out annoying, even OL's patience can be worn down...

"Yes. I will relay what you have told me."

She takes a few steps away and activates a force field generator built into the collar of her space suit. It surrounds her head in a translucent purple bubble, a privacy screen which lets us know that she's still there but prevents us from hearing what she's saying or reading her lips. I take a moment to check, and I can scan through it perfectly well. But

looking outside the physical, seeing the patterns of her desire mesh with those… There they are.
So if their answer isn't to his liking, they'll be getting some personal face time with OL. :sneaky: Whether they like it or not.

Ring, send to Lantern Gozzi. 'I have the location of the Leentniar civilian government'.

Message sent.
Heh. If they only knew... Well, they might well decide to suicide their entire race, no way of being sure... Again, getting a strong Quarian Bad End here. (Bad End from our and OL's perspective, anyway. We don't know these people well enough to be sure how they'd see it.)

Directly confronting them might make my point a little better, and I doubt that the people the Leentniar have raided over the years would object. But there are far more L.E.G.I.O.N. affiliates that haven't encountered them than that have, and we already risk looking high-handed due to the forceful way we're assembled our coalition at relatively short notice.

'It's for your own good' is a justification that really looks better in history books than in a diplomatic conference.
And usually only to the people writing the books. The peoples who get the 'for your own good' treatment generally end up with hard feelings lingering.

I advise taking no action. Don't even mention it.

I don't nod. If I use that location, I can write off persuading them to ally with us. It might help convince them to surrender and it will make destroying them easier, but we're not there yet.
They haven't proved themselves completely worthless yet. If they can change, if they can get along with their neighbours, wherever they end up, then they get to live.

The force field around the nameless emissary's head shuts down.

"The Masters have questions."
I'll bet they do. One they won't ask out loud is probably 'What will make you leave us alone?'

"Ask away."

"What do the Leentniar stand to gain materially by aiding you?"
Good, this part will be easy. There's a lot NEMO can give them, if they play nice...

"Assuming that we win, you can have your original homeworld and territory back, if you want it. In the short term, if you ally with us, we'll assist you in bringing whatever ships you want to commit up to our standards, and arrange a place away from the front line to settle as many of your people as you want to settle. You'll also gain the good will of your neighbours, which can be useful at times."
I suspect a homeworld far from the Reach will be a big factor in convincing them...

"What do the Leentniar stand to lose materially by aiding you?"

"Your lives. Your relative anonymity. The Reach might be happy to leave you alone while you weaken their targets, but if you side with us then that will change. Our main fleets have technological parity with the Reach, but in a slugging match we expect to lose ships and crews. You also stand to lose your fear."
Even couching the bad in terms that make allying with NEMO sound better than the alternative...

"Fear?"

"The fear that causes your people to send a dying woman to meet a diplomat. Once the Reach are gone, you can become what you want, not what you need." I shrug. She probably doesn't have the cultural context to understand that answer. "Anything else?"
Hmm... That could carry a lot of weight with the leadership. If they can look past their xenophobia...

And the dice are in the air... We'll see tomorrow how they land. Will we see enough successes to convince them, or will there be some snake-eyes in their future? Good thing OL favours the Diplomancer skillset... :D

And then they start referring to themselves as English.
Oh gosh no. England as a political entity dates frm the 10th century, after the Romans left and the various successor kingdoms merged and fought off the Scandanavians. Barely lasted a century before a French viking conquered it.

It really, really, doesn't.
I guess it looks slightly better than, "We wanted your stuff and you couldn't stop us from taking it."

Both are really bad, but "for your good" implies that the population you are feeding it to as propaganda has empathy you need to crush if you're going to carry out your imperialist aims. If you're straight-up telling your people that theft and murder are good, there's probably nothing of your culture or people worth saving at this point.

I guess it looks slightly better than, "We wanted your stuff and you couldn't stop us from taking it."

Both are really bad, but "for your good" implies that the population you are feeding it to as propaganda has empathy you need to crush if you're going to carry out your imperialist aims. If you're straight-up telling your people that theft and murder are good, there's probably nothing of your culture or people worth saving at this point.
On the other hand, consider C.S. Lewis:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Of course, OL has the approval of his conscience regardless.

Oh gosh no. England as a political entity dates frm the 10th century, after the Romans left and the various successor kingdoms merged and fought off the Scandanavians. Barely lasted a century before a French viking conquered it.
Normands weren't Vikings by the time of Guillaume II Duc de Normandie (later Guillaume I Roi d'Angleterre, dit le Conquérant).
Those who were given lands quickly adopted Frankish customs, married into the Frankish nobility, and by the time of Guillaume I de Normandy, they were pretty much as much Francs that any other Francs - and that was a century before Guillaume le Conquérant invaded England.

Back Door (part 17)
9th July 2012
06:52 GMT

"…because we're not stupid and that's obviously a world it would be easy to flee from."

I shift the construct map back to the area closer to Reach territory.

"Please ask your Masters to stop insulting me. If you take the cooperation deal, and you try and leave, see 'bad option'. Do you understand that I will be the guarantor of this treaty? Do you understand that while I will aggressively prosecute a war if you initiate one, I will respond to bad faith with extermination?"

"I will remind them."

As the force field reappears I reflect on the fact that I'm not seeing any yellow at all. No concern for her personal safety I'd understand; she's dying and she's devoted to her people. To such a person, dying in service would be far more satisfying than dying in bed. Desirable, even. As for the Masters themselves I see bubbling yellow, though only on the level of a critical negotiation.

Do they think I won't..?

The force field vanishes.

"My Masters believe that-" She points. "-this system will be suitable for our needs."

I take a look. No easily habitable planet, but I suppose that since they're used to living in ships that won't be an issue. Some mining is taking place there now, though it isn't anything vital to anyone's strategic objectives. Neighbours… Will probably be happy to accept payment for any piracy they've suffered. Nothing I need to preserve in the system so it won't matter if they strip mine the place. The only obvious drawback is that there isn't a L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet within convenient distance for cross-training. We'll have to either reposition one or wait until we can build enough ships for another. This region isn't exactly a combat-hotspot, and it's not like the Leentniar can't defend themselves.

"Acceptable. Since you have a clear cultural preference for isolation we won't try to compel you to mix with your new allies, but we will need to assign an ambassador-" Because it sounds better than 'governor' or 'parole officer'. "-to smooth over any problems. We'll begin providing you with technical information once you're settled in."

And we've filled the system full of spy drones.

"We have additional requirements."

"You're not in a particularly strong position here, but you can ask."

"To retool our industry we require more raw materials than can be accessed in that system. We require mineral rights to-" She points. "-this system and this system."

Hm. Again, those aren't heavily mined, but three gas giants have limited automatic metallic hydrogen harvesting operations. I can probably talk the rights-holders to the rest into giving them up, but those would be a sticking point. Of course, depending on what they need it might turn out to be more efficient to just buy whatever they need and ship it in.

"Why? There's nothing in those systems that isn't in the system you're already getting."

"This eventuality was not unforeseen. The Masters of the Leentniar have contingency plans which we are now activating. The best outcome for the Leentniar comes from beginning manufacturing at once. Deposits of titanium and various rare earth metals are more accessible in the asteroids here-" She points. "-and the moon here and here, than they are in our own system. We will build mine works as fast as we can, but bringing in material from outside of the system for the first four thousand work cycles will prevent delays in ship-building."

"And after that you won't need it?"

"We can always build more ships, but a larger fleet would be impractical to create during a war due to crew requirements."

"You mean that you don't have enough people to crew a larger fleet."

"We can increase our population size with the aim of building a larger fleet, but the time lag involved means that we could not do it quickly and the necessary expansion of food, crèche and education facilities would require resources that would otherwise go into ship building."

Not unreasonable. On a habitable planet it's quite easy to increase the amount of agricultural output. On spaceships it's really not. Especially if you want anything with actual flavour. I can't calculate exactly what their output is likely to be without seeing their civilian ships. Honestly, once they're in full production it might be worth having them just build ships for other people. A society like this is going to have far more experience of ship building than almost anyone.

Ring, message to Lantern Gozzi. How quickly would you be able to assess how the Leentniar could best support our offensive?

Message sent.

"Compile an exact list and I'll start negotiations with the current rights-holders. It might be easier to have them supply you with the material you want directly."

"There are ways that could be made acceptable."

"Good. Next issue. Piracy. When you become a L.E.G.I.O.N. affiliate you will cease all raiding of other L.E.G.I.O.N. members permanently and all non-L.E.G.I.O.N. worlds for the duration of the war with the Reach. You will pay proportionate reparations to extant civilisations whose property you have expropriated and whose citizens you have killed."

"We acknowledge that all military activity must be conducted through L.E.G.I.O.N., but we have few fungible assets."

"Payment can be deferred, and be made in the form of ships once you're at capacity."

"Acceptable."

"What will you do with the Leentniar currently assigned to pirate duties and their crew?"

"The crew will be killed. The outwards-facing Leentniar will be kept in semi-isolation for interface duties like this."

That would depend on how well organised their demographic and industrial data is. Perhaps half an hour. I assume that you want me to go?

Yes.

"My Masters wish me to discuss data transfer regarding L.E.G.I.O.N. ship types."

"I will transfer data on smaller ship types once you're situated. Additional data will be provided once your construction work is shown to be up to specifications. The underlying technologies don't vary much."

"You will not prohibit us building other classes of ship?"

"The L.E.G.I.O.N. ships are designed to be optimised for fighting the Reach. If you want to customise it or you think you can improve upon it, good for you. And you can build other ships if the local situation requires it, but we'll expect those ships to be your focus."

A noticeable decrease in fear from both their negotiator and the Masters. They must really like their existing ship classes. I'm sure that they'll be able to switch without too much trouble; several of the smaller classes of ship were designed for lower technology bases than Maltus has. It's mostly the larger ones which are more sophisticated because we plan to use them offensively and anything that can't actually fight Reach warships and survive scarab warriors will be dead weight. We'll have to see what the Leentniar are capable of before we start placing orders.

"We need to maintain cultural security."

"We've seen what the Reach can do. We will need some contact in your new home system, and your offensive fleets will be integrated into the L.E.G.I.O.N. command structure. However, there's no need for mass immigration unless you want it. I would recommend that you abandon your current 'exile or suicide' tradition, but I suppose you can keep it if you really want."

She nods. "That should be sufficient for a provisional agreement. I will relay it now."

Last edited:
I get the feeling they're kind of surprised that an outsider is being so reasonable.

They mostly likely use propaganda to paint aliens as monsters.

Also seeing as most of their relationships with aliens consist of them raiding and killing them they probably thought that if they met one then they'll be there to get revenge/justice or to stop them from hurting someone else.

They mostly likely use propaganda to paint aliens as monsters.

Also seeing as most of their relationships with aliens consist of them raiding and killing them they probably thought that if they met one then they'll be there to get revenge/justice or to stop them from hurting someone else.
They probably expected to kill themselves if they ever met an alien.

9th July 2012
06:52 GMT

"…because we're not stupid and that's obviously a world it would be easy to flee from."
Ah, the fun part of negotiations: pinning down the details. Which in this case means getting the Leentniar to stay put. Bet that's going to be fun...

I shift the construct map back to the area closer to Reach territory.

"Please ask your Masters to stop insulting me. If you take the cooperation deal, and you try and leave, see 'bad option'. Do you understand that I will be the guarantor of this treaty? Do you understand that while I will aggressively prosecute a war if you initiate one, I will respond to bad faith with extermination?"
Heh. I don't think they've fully grasped what that means. Have they ever seen a Lantern in full assault mode? Seen what they can do to even fairly advanced fleets? If they did, they'd probably be shitting enough bricks to build a Brownstone.

"I will remind them."

As the force field reappears I reflect on the fact that I'm not seeing any yellow at all. No concern for per personal safety I'd understand; she's dying and she's devoted to her people. To such a person, dying in service would be far more satisfying than dying in bed. Desirable, even. As for the Masters themselves I see bubbling yellow, though only on the level of a critical negotiation.
Interesting. A heavy focus on usefulness to the collective? A learned behaviour, unless they had such a culture before their exodus. I suppose it makes it easier for them to shift directions. The workers don't need to care why they're building, only that they can.

Do they think I won't..?

The force field vanishes.

"My Masters believe that-" She points. "-this system will be suitable for our needs."
I bet they're trying not to think bout the threat of destruction.

I take a look. No easily habitable planet, but I suppose that since they're used to living in ships that won't be an issue. Some mining is taking place there now, though it isn't anything vital to anyone's strategic objectives. Neighbours… Will probably be happy to accept payment for any piracy they've suffered. Nothing I need to preserve in the system so it won't matter if they strip mine the place. The only obvious drawback is that there isn't a L.E.G.I.O.N. fleet within convenient distance for cross-training. We'll have to either reposition one or wait until we can build enough ships for another. This region isn't exactly a combat-hotspot, and it's not like the Leentniar can't defend themselves.
And that means a Lantern will have to babysit them until a fleet can arrive. After all, what's to stop them deciding agreements with aliens don't count, and promptly leaving? OL or whoever gets stuck watching them might have to demonstrate...

"Acceptable. Since you have a clear cultural preference for isolation we won't try to compel you to mix with your new allies, but we will need to assign an ambassador-" Because it sounds better than 'governor' or 'parole officer'. "-to smooth over any problems. We'll begin providing you with technical information once you're settled in."

And we've filled the system full of spy drones.
Indeed. Like I said, they'll need to be well-guarded to prevent them taking a powder. On the other hand, they seem to be well-suited to industrial work and construction...

"We have additional requirements."

"You're not in a particularly strong position here, but you can ask."
To quote Blade: "Always some motherfuckers trying to ice-skate uphill."

"To retool our industry we require more raw materials than can be accessed in that system. We require mineral rights to-" She points. "-this system and this system."

Hm. Again, those aren't heavily mined, but three gas giants have limited automatic metallic hydrogen harvesting operations. I can probably talk the rights-holders to the rest to give them up, but those would be a sticking point. Of course, depending on what they need it might turn out to be more efficient to just buy whatever they need and ship it in.
Or negotiating a service contract? With minimal to no outside contact, of course.

"Why? There's nothing in those systems that isn't in the system you're already getting."

"This eventuality was not unforeseen. The Masters of the Leentniar have contingency plans which we are now activating. The best outcome for the Leentniar comes from beginning manufacturing at once. Deposits of titanium and various rare earth metals are more accessible in the asteroids here-" She points. "-and the moon here and here, than they are in our own system. We will build mine works as fast as we can, but bringing in material from outside of the system for the first four thousand work cycles will prevent delays in ship-building."
Well, they're certainly believers in prep-time. Clearly expecting their survival to be dependant on their usefulness, again...

"And after that you won't need it?"

"We can always build more ships, but a larger fleet would be impractical to create during a war due to crew requirements."
I suppose they can only reproduce so quickly, especially with as limited resources as they have now. Hopefully it doesn't take them twenty years to turn out worthwhile personnel. Then again, their children are probably expected to pull their won weight aboardships...

"You mean that you don't have enough people to crew a larger fleet."

"We can increase our population size with the aim of building a larger fleet, but the time lag involved means that we could not do it quickly and the necessary expansion of food, crèche and education facilities would require resources that would otherwise go into ship building."
Someone's got to babysit, after all. And teach. I'm guessing they don't have much of a childhood...

Not unreasonable. On a habitable planet it's quite easy to increase the amount of agricultural output. On spaceships it's really not. Especially if you want anything with actual flavour. I can't calculate exactly what their output is likely to be without seeing their civilian ships. Honestly, once they're in full production it might be worth having them just build ships for other people. A society like this is going to have far more experience of ship building than almost anyone.
Just as long as they can't use the ships for their own purposes. Don't want to give them top-of-the-line specs only to have them go AWOL in them...

Ring, message to Lantern Gozzi. How quickly would you be able to assess how the Leentniar could best support our offensive?

Message sent.
Ah, the greatest superpower relating to leadership: Delegation. For when you don't want to deal with that shit yourself...

"Compile an exact list and I'll start negotiations with the current rights-holders. It might be easier to have them supply you with the material you want directly."

"There are ways that could be made acceptable."
Automated cargo haulers and work drones, for example. With plenty of computer security, of course.

"Good. Next issue. Piracy. When you become a L.E.G.I.O.N. affiliate you will cease all raiding of other L.E.G.I.O.N. members permanently and all non-L.E.G.I.O.N. worlds for the duration of the war with the Reach. You will pay proportionate reparations to extant civilisations whose property you have expropriated and whose citizens you have killed."

"We acknowledge that all military activity must be conducted through L.E.G.I.O.N., but we have few fungible assets."
I'll bet. What they have is probably used to build new ships or facilities, what with having no external trade.

"Payment can be deferred, and be made in the form of ships once you're at capacity."

"Acceptable."
In other words, they'll be paying rent and other costs off with work. Another way to minimise the impact on their people's lives, I suppose.

"What will you do with the Leentniar currently assigned to pirate duties and their crew?"

"The crew will be killed. The outwards-facing Leentniar will be kept in semi-isolation for interface duties like this."
I presume that's any non-Leentniar crew, like those we saw on that first pirate vessel OL and Gozzi took down. The ones that surrendered... Bad luck for those who weren;t complete monsters, but I suspect they're few in number...

That would depend on how well organised their demographic and industrial data is. Perhaps half an hour. I assume that you want me to go?

Yes.
Given what we've seen of their technology, it'll probably be one quick ring scan of their files and a few minutes to mull over the info. Most of that half-hour is probably just travel time and convincing them to let her do it...

"My Masters wish me to discuss data transfer regarding L.E.G.I.O.N. ship types."

"I will transfer data on smaller ship types once you're situated. Additional data will be provided once your construction work is shown to be up to specifications. The underlying technologies doesn't vary much."
Gotta prove yourself trustworthy, after all. Like I said above, don't want them to bust out in newly upgraded vessels, whether that be officially sanctioned forays or rebellious teenagers.

"You will not prohibit us building other classes of ship?"

"The L.E.G.I.O.N. ships are designed to be optimised for fighting the Reach. If you want to customise it or you think you can improve upon it, good for you. And you can build other ships if the local situation requires it, but we'll expect those ships to be your focus."
Something to be hashed out with whoever their parole officer ambassador ends up being.

A noticeable decrease in fear from both their negotiator and the Masters. They must really like their existing ship classes. I'm sure that they'll be able to switch without too much trouble; several of the smaller classes of ship were designed for lower technology bases than Maltus has. It's mostly the larger ones which are more sophisticated because we plan to use them offensively and anything that can't actually fight Reach warships and survive scarab warriors will be dead weight. We'll have to see what the Leentnair are capable of before we start placing orders.

"We need to maintain cultural security."
Don't go a-viking, and you'll be left alone. Mess up or play up, and cultural security will be your last concern...

"We've seen what the Reach can do. We will need some contact in your new home system, and your offensive fleets will be integrated into the L.E.G.I.O.N. command structure. However, there's no need to mass immigration unless you want it. I would recommend that you abandon your current 'exile or suicide' tradition, but I suppose you can keep it if you really want."

She nods. "That should be sufficient for a provisional agreement. I will relay it now."
Bet there'll be some jackass councillor who objects... Hopefully they don't require unanimous votes.

Well, negotiation tentatively successful. It remains to be seen if they'll play along in the long term. I'm guessing OL and Gozzi will be stuck babysitting until L.E.G.I.O.N can set up their perimeter... Sounds like a good chance to look in on X-Men!Paul... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back