• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"It's almost completely out of power and he doesn't have any way to recharge it." Batman reaches into his utility belt and pulls it out. "He also didn't notice when I switched it with a fake. Green Lantern, we need the Guardians to analyse this as soon as possible."

Green Lantern picks it up with a construct hand and brings it over to him. "Sure, but what happens if he tries to use it in the mean time?"

"We'll return it when they're finished, but we can't take the risk of being so unprepared again."

I bet the guardians the Guardians destroy it rather then giving it back, any takers.

Last edited:
Oooooh boy. That's, that's quite the lawyer-gasm there Zoat. I'm pretty sure it's a good thing you're on QQ, because I'm pretty sure anyone with a background in law will really enjoy that. ;)
The foreplay was a bit lacking, though, what with Alan not being a member of the League of Shadows. Medical care availability is based on societies, not species.

I bet the guardians the Guardians destroy it rather then giving it back, any takers.
It's either that or they accidentally call up Larfleeze on their heads.

Let's face it: the Guardians had one good idea, billions of years ago (and it seems even that was given to them as they were retconned into not having invented Lanterns but were taught to make them by a time traveler) and have been coasting on it ever since.

Group photograph from nineteen fifty one… Alan's smiling, but… Magnify… Hm, the picture quality is too low for me to be certain… I continue flicking through, making sure to record the images and the dates.
Ah, photo album browsing. Always fun.

"I fully intend to talk to Alan about it, but I'd like to have a solution to the problem before I do. Or… If there's no problem, I don't need to bring it up at all."
I like this version of OL. He knows his shit.

She waits patiently for me to give a helpful answer as I move onto the album from just before she went back to Themyscira. From the.. composition…
Double space here.

"While it may not be readily apparent to someone who grew up on Themysicra, Alan looks a lot younger than a man his age usually would. And he started looking younger recently. Looking at the photographs of him I've been able to find, it looks like this isn't a recent phenomena either. His appearance is basically unchanged for all the time he was in the Justice Society and then he suddenly-" I point to a picture. "-enters middle age when it breaks up."
Suspicious.

Diana's gaze grows a little distant, perhaps trying to match what I'm saying with her own experiences. "I.. see."
She's not following, I see.

"And now he can't recharge. I mean, you've seen him change, right? Compare-" She's nodding. "-how he looked when I first arrived to how he looks now."
Now she gets it.

"Given him back his personal lantern wouldn't work because it's the wrong colour.
"Giving him back his personal lantern wouldn't work because it's the wrong colour.

Diana looks dubious. "Hal was clear that the Guardians were forbidding members of the Green Lantern Corps from allowing Alan to recharge using their equipment. I doubt that-."
Guardians are Dicks.

I hold up my hands in a pacifying gesture. "I'm not trying to start a fight. And I'm not.. asking you to throw your career away and flat out defy the Guardians. That wouldn't do Alan any good. I just want to make sure that if I did wangle an exception, you would be willing to let him use it."
Loophole abuse is fun.

Hal's still frowning, but it's more thoughtful now. "The rules and regs? What for?"
Easiest way to break or dodge a rule is to know how it's written.

"Guardians like order, but they've run a Lantern Corps for millions of years. I doubt that they've done that by deciding things on a case by case basis, but I suspect that the rules are immensely flexible in order to incorporate all of the different mindsets the different species they've worked with possess. If I can find an argument based on existing Corps rules, they'll probably accept it."
I doubt they'll like it, but again, Dicks.

"Ah, no, but we're not normally allowed to share our rings or lanterns with anyone. And… The rules and regs are about a million pages long. I think it's only people like Salaak and.. Sinestro, who've bothered reading it. You sure about this?"
Salaak, I could see memorising it. Sinestro's a bit more surprising. Probably the 'asshole superior' plot.

Grgh. Ring, organise. Find me something useful.
Joy of an AI unfucked by Guardian malware.

I got a massive head ache, but… "Non-emergency civilian aid. Outside of the emergency situations designated above, member of the Green Lantern Corps are authorised to use Corps resources in order to provide medical aid to those in their Sector or to such others as they may encounter in the performance of their duties, restricted to technological devices at or equivalent to devices available in the society in which aid is being provided."
Purple Ray. Lazarus Pit. Healing spells. Earth is Bullshit :D

"Ra's al Ghul claims to have created the first Lazarus Pit in the fourteenth century, and Batman's investigation confirmed that that's probably true. That means that you can use Green Lantern Corps equipment to provide aid equal to something which can cure death, because in theory any human could get access to it."
...Ehh... Iffy, and you know it...

"You can literally fly anywhere in this Sector and bring back any medical technology you can legally acquire and release it for public use. You can't sell it, allow others to profit directly from it, explain how it works yourself or spend more than… Ah, 'a reasonable amount of time' doing that rather than working on law enforcement, but you can do it. Since 'Corps resources' explicitly includes your lantern and ring, you can let Alan recharge so long as him doing so isn't 'prejudicial to the wellbeing of life and order in your assigned Sector'. I don't think that some of these rules were written with Earth's particular brand of madness in mind. Oh! Got another one."
Having another Green Lantern on Earth is certainly not prejudicial.

"Another way to let Alan recharge. It's from the section on the remuneration of 'mentors, aides and assistants'. You're allowed to hire people to assist you in your work, or benefit from relationships equivalent to what would exist in your society if you were not a member of the Green Lantern Corps. Humans have had apprenticeships for as long as we've had jobs, and sidekicks for nearly as long as we've had superheroes. If Alan agrees to tutor you, then you can class him as an 'auxiliary instructor', which doesn't let you do more than pay him. Except, since you're both American, and it's 'in keeping with local custom' for Americans to receive healthcare provision via their employers… The rules explicitly don't differentiate between insurance and direct provision. You're obliged to make sure that he receives it. Which, again, includes the use of Corps resources because in some places you have to let your weapons tutor try out your weapons as part of a coming of age ritual."
Ha!

"Any you think the Guardians will buy that?"
"And you think the Guardians will buy that?"

"Can't know until you ask. But I'd be surprised if it didn't work in the short term. Are you willing to give it a go?"
IE until you can get a Blue lantern or snag a green somehow...

Ah, this guy is such a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
It was a lot more complex then that.
Also Barbra turned out perfectly fine, so I wouldn't say he ruined her life.

Did she turn out fine? She seemed like a fairly bitter old lady with a big chip on her shoulder to me? Also i'm pretty sure she didn't have any kids. So she only mostly recovered from the mess Bruce left when she eventually ended things with him. At the very least he kinda ruined Dick as well as Tim's lives what with dating Barb and not really having any time for anything but being Batman or much interest in trying to be anything else.

Unfortunately, their 'comeuppance' for League highhandedness happened in the previous series in the form of Cadmus. They beat Cadmus.
Correction, Cadmus was the victor.

By forcing them to acknowledge that their behavior was having consequences and to take their heads out of their asses. The Justice League tempered itself after the Cadmus arc(even tried to disband before Green Arrow convinced them otherwise) and stopped being so threatening so Cadmus was no longer needed. Cadmus was gone because it's job was done, not becaue the League "beat" them(in fact the League openly and publicly admitted that it was their hubris that was at fault rather then just blaming everything on Luthor and the government for not accepting that "superheroes are always right).

Thank you, corrected.

Or rather, didn't happen.

I remember the discussion from the last Common Sense chapters. But the Light still needs a distraction to get the Starro sample right? Last time I thought that Common Sense Paul would have more trouble with the attack on the Watchtower, but I didn't realize that if the Light fails to get the Starro sample, they can't really mind control the Justice League, which sidesteps the issue.

Also, the old corrections I posted a few days ago haven't been taken care of yet. Should I assume that you missed it/forgot about it, or that you'll just get around to it when you're not busy?

Also, the old corrections I posted a few days ago haven't been taken care of yet. Should I assume that you missed it/forgot about it, or that you'll just get around to it when you're not busy?
I'll mark that down for this evening.
By forcing them to acknowledge that their behavior was having consequences and to take their heads out of their asses. The Justice League tempered itself after the Cadmus arc(even tried to disband before Green Arrow convinced them otherwise) and stopped being so threatening so Cadmus was no longer needed. Cadmus was gone because it's job was done, not becaue the League "beat" them(in fact the League openly and publicly admitted that it was their hubris that was at fault rather then just blaming everything on Luthor and the government for not accepting that "superheroes are always right).
Tried to find the Eiling quote and failed, so on his behalf:

"What do you call it when one side advances and the other retreats?"

Last edited:
I'll mark that down for this evening.

What do you call it when one side publicly takes the blame for everything that went down and the other side doesn't? The Justice League admitted fault for the entire fiasco, neither Cadmus or the government did. The Justice League took steps to change their behavior and regain the people's trust, and that was only because nobody would let the original seven go with their first idea of straight up disbanding the Justice League.

Cadmus existed to counter a Justice League that was showing to be increasingly going rogue, taking the law into their own hands and centralizing an obscene amount of power into said hands. With the Justice League no longer doing that, no longer being so threatening, what reason is their for Cadmus to remain operational instead of just folded back into the rest of the government(and spreading out all the technology developed by Cadmus)?

We've seen the future of Earth 12 thanks to Batman Beyond and the Zeta Project. The first plasma gun armed soldiers in 2004(which honestly might have already happened thanks to Cadmus), a heavily armed exosuit in 2017, and eventually a highly advanced military that looks like took strong ques from the Thanagarian invasion, Apokolips's attacks and even the Justice League itself.

The mistake you're making is that you're assuming that Cadmus represents the will of anyone and anything other than Cadmus.

Cadmus was never about transparency, serving the public good, or even checking the dangers of metahuman overreach; that was just their marketing slogan, much like the US Republican Party markets themselves as being for small government. Cadmus never used concerns over public welfare as anything other than a smokescreen to hide their own ambitions and agenda; in that way they had much in common with Lex Luthor, although they were less delusional about it all than he was.

The second of GhostKing 666's video series was quite telling: when Batman calls Amanda Waller's bluff and threatens to expose both his and Cadmus's secrets, she immediately backs down and never brings up Bruce's secret identity again, because she knows that Cadmus's methods and goals are so beyond the pale that no one who really knows what they get up to will believe their protestations that it's "all for the good of the US/the people/whatever".

The Cadmus arc was never about Cadmus ideals vs. Justice League ideals, because Cadmus didn't have any. It was a coming of age story for the Justice League itself, with its members pitting their vigilantism's ultimate aim of totalitarianism against their heroism's ultimate aim of protecting everyone, even against themselves.

It looks like someone's set off a forest bomb in Gotham. The Giordano Botanical Garden is a jungle, the dense foliage clearly visible across the Gotham River. From everywhere else, shades of green have replaced the grey stone as vines, lichen and moss race to cover every surface.

Decidedly broken link

I chuckle. "I don't need to. I don't think I could make this stuff up."

Still pointing to SB

"You actually didn't, did you." Eris looks away for a moment. "Wrll. I'll let you off. But I expect you to make an actual decision." She comes a little closer, looking me directly in the eyes. "Take a hold of your destiny."

Silly rabbits, trix are for kids

This reminds me of Wall "Teen Lantern" West and the Kid Lanterns.

Here's Hal making Wally "Teen Lantern"

And here's Stewart's deputies on Mosaic the Kid Lanterns in action
images

Not the same thing of course, the Guardians would not be amused if someone deputized Alan.

Huh. That wouldn't work if either of them were from somewhere with state-provided healthcare. That's the first time America's backwards attitude has come in handy for anyone.

Since I don't want to risk a rule 8 violation, I'll just say that I enjoyed this paragraph with a smile.

Really enjoying Common Sense Paul, and the Vega storyline as well (haven't commented in a while, so thought I'd extend back a few days).

Also, it would be hilarious if Paul-12 sued Batman-12 for theft of his property.
Lawyers. The most deadly of weapons.

He is never getting that back once the Guardians get it, and I really hope he reacts in a horribly proactive way. At this point I don't believe for a second he can't give himself galactic threat level powers.
This version of Paul seems to have been forced to stick to a low-power start, then settled into that role. Never going Full Power Mode.

But he's apparently had 80ish supervillains on the payroll for years, not counting all the non-villainous types like Jack Knight. Sooo, yeah, he must have access to some serious shit if he really wants it.

Guess he just needs some motivation to push him in that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back