• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

No idea what that was so I'll just delete it.
Something is off about this sentence. SV has it as "none have done so in their superheroic identity and"
Changed.
Second link is broken.
Updated.
It's weird that it's past tense twice and then present tense. "reached, picked, dials" On SV picked is picks. Or you can change dials to dialed.
I seem to remember that the tense thing was intentional.
Broken link.
Remove going or staying. On SV you have it as staying.
Change his to him.
Thank you, corrected.
She's punctuating it as a tamaranian name.

Hey, Graven 50? There is only one phrase in my vocabulary which can adequately illustrate the extent of your misstep at this juncture. There is, in other words, only one thing I can say with regards to your foolish provocation of your parallel universe counterpart:

Ya dun fukt up sun!

Or put another way:

I think the real problem is that there is no known life equation, even to Scott.
However, given Zoat's much-professed love of the new 52 perhaps he knows of the white lantern's light being the life equation? unless that came after the start of the story.

However, given Zoat's much-professed love of the new 52 perhaps he knows of the white lantern's light being the life equation? unless that came after the start of the story.

The Life Equation has been a term in DC for decades before Flashpoint actually.

In a New Gods series, Highfather referred to the Source as the "Life Equation" I can't recall if that was in the seventies or eighties.

And in one history of Darkseid's obsession with the Anti-Life Equation, he got the concept from the Martians explaining their concept of the Life Equation to him.

The Life Equation has been a term in DC for decades before Flashpoint actually.

In a New Gods series, Highfather referred to the Source as the "Life Equation" I can't recall if that was in the seventies or eighties.

And in one history of Darkseid's obsession with the Anti-Life Equation, he got the concept from the Martians explaining their concept of the Life Equation to him.
Yeah - but the Life Equation being the source is kind of mutually exclusive with Scott knowing it.

I think the real problem is that there is no known life equation, even to Scott.

Mother Boxes literally run on the Life Equation.

companionship + understanding + assurance + joy + altruism ÷ respect ÷ commendation ÷ sympathy x innocence x dignity x success x acceptance y=n where y=despair and n=caution, love=truth, death=rebirth, and self=light side

Mother Boxes literally run on the Life Equation.

companionship + understanding + assurance + joy + altruism ÷ respect ÷ commendation ÷ sympathy x innocence x dignity x success x acceptance y=n where y=despair and n=caution, love=truth, death=rebirth, and self=light side
That's five different equations.

Also, only altruism is multiplied/divided by respect, commendation, and sympathy... and it's divided by them, in series, so the overall 'value' of life goes down with more respect, sympathy, innocence, dignity, success, or acceptance?

I'm not saying Highfather is bad at math... but mmaaaaaybe he should try to find a New God of Arithmetic? No wonder Darkseid usually wins.

That's five different equations.

Also, only altruism is multiplied/divided by respect, commendation, and sympathy... and it's divided by them, in series, so the overall 'value' of life goes down with more respect, sympathy, innocence, dignity, success, or acceptance?

I'm not saying Highfather is bad at math... but mmaaaaaybe he should try to find a New God of Arithmetic? No wonder Darkseid usually wins.

Well, this is the anti-life.

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side

Yeah, but life = pain isn't part of that dark side equation. The light version would also probably have Life = pleasure in there. Also, we still have no indication that Scott knows it.

Well, this is the anti-life.

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side
[Points vaguely in the direction of the FAQ.]

[Goes to have a lie down.]

Conqueror's Moon (part 20)
Life=Pain.
Life=Pain.

The girl I took into my home, took into my family, the bright and vibrant young thing who blossomed under my tutelage was just casually killed by my alter-ego.

Grayven cringes and grabs his head while the tamaranian takes a fighting pose, a glowing starry-blue claw forming around her right hand. I walk out of the upright sarcophagus, my steps leaden.

I remember her infectious enthusiasm, the joy she felt at arcane discovery and her anticipation for her return to Equestria, where now I will not even have a body to return to her former mentor.

"Anti-Life, he gave you-!"

"My Lord?"

Her face her face her face her face-

"No. You can't control it!" He smiles, an expression I'll never see on Sunset's face again. "I will learn so much from your-."

"Pain."

He staggers. "No no! You-!"

"There's nothing to control. It just is."

"Madman!"

"Every action you take, every thought you have."

The tamaranian's claw strikes my armour, biting at it but failing to penetrate.

"Life."

She looks up to the sky and admires the beautiful fires in the sky which she learns were the Citadel and gordanian landing craft when one drags her away-

"Ah!"

-to begin her life as a valueless slave. She will be violently raped for the first time that evening, back before she learned not to try fighting back.

She stumbles, half-collapsing, her claw fading away into nothing.

"Pain."

"Tube!"

Boom!

"Life."

Grayven darts forward to grab the tamaranian, then dives for the tube opening. I could follow, but why bother? It works out the same anyway.

Life=Pain

I made Lynne a safe home, and now one of her friends is dead. It was bad enough when Father showed up, but this? The idea that any of her friends could just be gone in a moment will drive her to shut down once again.

Why am I even standing? It will…

Why did I chase them off?

I-.

Sunset's dead. Rex is dead too, from events his infant mind couldn't begin to-.

"Grayven? Oooooh no."

I look up as Scott tries to decide whether to leave the room or not. It won't matter. In here is the man who brought him to the attention of his Grayven, out there the angry New God who has certainly decided that keeping him alive is no longer necessary.

"Anti-Life infection. Mother Box?"

"Ping." / "Ping-g."

"But just a little one. Ah, okay."

He leads the gordanians away from the refugee extraction point, smiling as he dodges around their fire and the force fields close around him and his instinct-

"Yeah, but that was then-" He steps forward, taking hold of my hands. "-and this is now." Always a Way Out.

-deserts him-

"Which was pretty scary, I don't mind telling you-"

Fear.

"-but it just made me want to get free that much more."

"Uuuuhhuuhuhuh."

"Yeah, you can say that again."

I'm shaking as I meet his eyes.

"You know, out of the two Grayvens I've met, I definitely like you the best."

Sunset's dead-. No, no, that way lies the death spiral.

"You're.. only joint first, for Scott Frees. Your Barda's bringing up the rear."

"What did you do?"

"I've got an Anti-Life fragment inside me. The-. Your Grayven destroyed the Justice Lords' Watchtower. A dear friend of mine was probably on it, and the son of a couple of other friends. I was trapped in that-" I glance backwards at the machine, whose tron lines are gently smoking where they tried coping with the Anti-Life and came up short. "-device and it was the only way I could come up with to get out."

"Well, thank you. I was trapped in another one until you did that. The guy in purple and black was blocking me somehow. Constantly changing what the Sarcophageus was doing to keep me inside."

"'Thank you'? She's dead, Scott-."

"Not necessarily. Batman… Is a very cunning man. They might have made it out. You don't know that she's dead."

"I-." Intellectually, I know that he's right. There are ways they could have escaped. And I know that how I'm feeling is an effect of Anti-Life exposure. I should focus on the feeling of hope in order to free myself faster.

But I'm just not feeling it quite yet.

"Barda?"

"Somewhere else, I hope. Mother Box?"

"Ping."

"Looks like black-and-purple is blocking my boom tube again. Can you get up?"

"I think.. so."

I plant my right hand on the floor and push, get my feet back under me…

Sinestro?

Still here, Lantern Grayven. Please try to avoid situations where you might need to do that again.

Will.. do.

I nod to myself. "Where do we go from here?"

Last edited:
Things at which Paragon is better: coping with Anti-Life.

Given that Darkseid is (one of) the big bads of the DC Universe, and especially seems to be Renegade's endgame boss, I feel like that's going to be the biggest difference between the two paths Renegade and Paragon have taken.

Can't wait to see you curse at the Source Wall, "Grayven"!

that moment when you realize the softer lighter version of you is also more bad ass then you are.

The thing a lot of people forget is that the Velvet Glove does a lot to protect the Iron Fist.

Paulven's views of "The biggest badass is not the guy who gets in all the fights; it's the guy who ends them." probably isn't that obvious to a native Apokoliptian.

Thanks
Luc "'The Velvet Revolver In The Latex Glove' on the other hand..." French

The girl I took into my home, took into my family, the bright and vibrant young thing who blossomed under my tutelage was just casually killed by my alter-ego.
Yeah, Grayven-50 ain't getting out of this without loosing stuff. Just a matter of how much he can save for himself.

Grayven cringes and grabs his head while the tamaranian takes a fighting pose, a glowing starry-blue claw forming around her right hand. I walk out of the upright sarcophagus, my steps leaden.
She has no chance. Interesting power, though... A Psion experiment?

I remember her infectious enthusiasm, the joy she felt at arcane discovery and her anticipation for her return to Equestria, where now I will not even have a body to return to her former mentor.
Hey, she might have gotten away. Don't doubt the Girl-Unicorn.

"Anti-Life, he gave you-!"

"My Lord?"
Heh, G-50 seems shocked. Daddy didn't like him enough to give him a little gift?

"No. You can't control it!" He smiles, an expression I'll never see on Sunset's face again. "I will learn so much from your-."
The Renegade isn't trying to control it, though... Grayven-50 has so much overconfidence, it's making him stupid.

"There's nothing to control. It just is."

"Madman!"
And now he's learning how much overconfidence can backfire. Trying to grab more than he can hold? Big mistake, especially where Earth is involved.

She looks up to the sky and admires the beautiful fires in the sky which she learns were the Citadel and gordanian landing craft when one drags her away-

"Ah!"

-to begin her life as a valueless slave. She will be violently raped for the first time that evening, back before she learned not to try fighting back.

She stumbles, half-collapsing, her claw fading away into nothing.
Oof, unlucky for her. I doubt she deserved the full force of that, but working for Grayven-50? Probably not a nice person anyway.

That's it, cut and run. Doubting your resistance to Anti-life, are you?

Grayven darts forward to grab the tamaranian, then dives for the tube opening. I could follow, but why bother? It works out the same anyway.
Surprised he bothered to save his flunky. Maybe she's the one thing he bothers to care for?

I made Lynne a safe home, and now one of her friends is dead. It was bad enough when Father showed up, but this? The idea that any of her friends could just be gone in a moment will drive her to shut down once again.

Why am I even standing? It will…

Why did I chase them off?
Damn, that hurts to read, and I don't just mean the text colour. Seriously, if not for the Anti-life, that would be Violet and Indigo as fuck.

Sunset's dead. Rex is dead too, from events his infant mind couldn't begin to-.
Ooh, John and Shayera must be pissed.

"Grayven? Oooooh no."

I look up as Scott tries to decide whether to leave the room or not. It won't matter. In here is the man who brought him to the attention of his Grayven, out there the angry New God who has certainly decided that keeping him alive is no longer necessary.
Ah, possibly the one man who can help the Renegade right now.

"Anti-Life infection. Mother Box?"

"Ping." / "Ping-g."

"But just a little one. Ah, okay."
I like that confidence. 'Just a little one', eh?

He leads the gordanians away from the refugee extraction point, smiling as he dodges around their fire and the force fields close around him and his instinct-

"Yeah, but that was then-" He steps forward, taking hold of my hands. "-and this is now." Always a Way Out.

-deserts him-
Ah, that's how he got caught, eh?

"Which was pretty scary, I don't mind telling you-"

Fear.

"-but it just made me want to get free that much more."
Ah, I see. Channel Emotion at him to weaken the crippling depression of the Anti-life chunk.

I'm shaking as I meet his eyes.

"You know, out of the two Grayven's I've met, I definitely like you the best."
Ha!

Sunset's dead-. No, no, that way lies the death spiral.
There we go, Emotion back at the wheel.

"Well, thank you. I was trapped in another one until you did that. The guy in purple and black was blocking me somehow. Constantly changing what the Sarcophageus was doing to keep me inside."
Well, that's one way to keep the New God of Freedom from escaping: a cell that constantly changes.

"I-." Intellectually, I know that he's right. There are ways they could have escaped. And I know that how I'm feeling is an effect of Anti-Life exposure. I should focus on the feeling of hope in order to free myself faster.

But I'm just not feeling it quite yet.
In the words of the Fifth Doctor: Brave Heart, Renegade.

I plant my right hand on the floor and push, get my feet back under me…

Sinestro?

Still here, Lantern Grayven. Please try to avoid situations where you might need to do that again.

Will.. do.
If Ring-nestro is as complex as he seems, I doubt that felt particularly fun.

I nod to myself. "Where do we go from here?"
Home, I would hope. As much as Grayven-50 deserves it, there's not much hope of tracking him down and feeding him his ass.

Well, Godzilla has come and gone. I bet Grayven-50 feels a little bit like Tokyo right now. No less than he deserves...

A little Godspeech, free of charge:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back